Streaming MKV Highdef bluray Movies to PS3 with 5.1 Audio

sudhishkv

Guys,

I found a great and simple way to blu-ray rip high definition 5.1 channel movies to your PS3. Follow the steps bellow

What you need:

1) Good computer with enough processing power (Windows, Linux, OSX) .
2) Wireless Router (I have linksys wireless router)
3) Download the PS3 Media server from here (PS3 Media Server) and install it.

After installation, the PS3 media server will auto detect your ps3. Just add the directory which you want to share to the media server and you are set.
Go to the ps3 menu and you can see directory which you have shared and start playing the movie/audio which you have shared.

I tried the blu-ray rip mkv video and the quality was awesome.

If you have a good collection of blue ray mkv files, please message me.

Thanks & Enjoy the streaming...

Sudhish.

No replays... :sad:

Guys try it out if you have a ps3... and let me know what you think.

Sudhish.

I've used this for sometime previously and whilst I can agree it's best without conversion etc, I didn't use it any further because of the lag caused over wireless. But for someone who wants to use their PC as a central media hub this is fine.

I convert all mkv rips into m2ts format and then dump them onto my external HDD. Simple and easy, no need for my PC to be up & running and bearing the grunt.

I've used this for sometime previously and whilst I can agree it's best without conversion etc, I didn't use it any further because of the lag caused over wireless. But for someone who wants to use their PC as a central media hub this is fine.

I convert all mkv rips into m2ts format and then dump them onto my external HDD. Simple and easy, no need for my PC to be up & running and bearing the grunt.

Which is the best mkv ripper. I have a good collection of DVD iso files. I want to convert all to mkvs.

Sudhish,

Two of our senior members Moser & Madbullram uses Handbrake which in their experience has been the best for rippiing DVD's to mkv or any other format.

HandBrake

Have you tried the latest version? While streaming it is not taking much processing power also there is no lag. It is almost like playing a blu-ray disk on ps3. The quality is just amazing. My ps3 shows the video bit rate as 10.3 Mbps and audio as 5.1 dolby 44khz. Means my wireless router is a nice one :)

Sudhish.

Have you tried the latest version? While streaming it is not taking much processing power also there is no lag. It is almost like playing a blu-ray disk on ps3. The quality is just amazing. My ps3 shows the video bit rate as 10.3 Mbps and audio as 5.1 dolby 44khz. Means my wireless router is a nice one :)

Sudhish.

Nope, Will give it a try once I'm back at home. But I've already got around 50 movies in m2ts format so can't rule that out completely.

a query (a bit off topic i presume, so pardon me)

how is the upscaling capability of ps3? comparable to standard dvd players?

a query (a bit off topic i presume, so pardon me)

how is the upscaling capability of ps3? comparable to standard dvd players?

DVD upscaling within PS3 is considered to be very best in it's class. Although it works out lot during upscaling.

A newbie question if you please.

When the PS3 is playing content from the PC/Laptop through the Media Server software, is it consuming any internet data usage?
Or does it establish a direct connection the PC via the wireless router? ie, even if I disconnect the ADSL line-in to the modem/router, it will still stream?

A newbie question if you please.

When the PS3 is playing content from the PC/Laptop through the Media Server software, is it consuming any internet data usage?
Or does it establish a direct connection the PC via the wireless router? ie, even if I disconnect the ADSL line-in to the modem/router, it will still stream?

No it doesn't. It just uses your Wireless Router / Ethernet.

Even if you disconnect the ADSL line-in this will work.

Music, Photos and low res movies are working smoothly. A bit of buffering lag at times.
But HD mkv is playing like youtube over a dial-up connection :)
I'm using a centrino duo thinkpad with 1gb ram and the default bsnl router.

Music, Photos and low res movies are working smoothly. A bit of buffering lag at times.
But HD mkv is playing like youtube over a dial-up connection :)
I'm using a centrino duo thinkpad with 1gb ram and the default bsnl router.

Yes, As I had previously quoted Streaming Hi-def is pain. Are you using a Wireless connection b/w your PC & PS3? Wired can improve things.

Yes, As I had previously quoted Streaming Hi-def is pain. Are you using a Wireless connection b/w your PC & PS3? Wired can improve things.
Yes. Wireless. Wired is not an option since the equipment is in different rooms.

Buttt .. with TsMuxer mkv works fine ! The problem was with Mencoder.
Video bitrate for TsMuxer is being displayed at around 2-3mbps. Whereas for Mencoder it's going upto 70-80mbps.
I can hardly make out any difference between the PQ in the two cases. I was playing Fast and the Furious. File size is 1.8gb.

Even low res (VCD quality) files are also stuttering with Mencoder.

I normally use my dell studio 17 with an ati 256mb card hooked up via hdmi to my samsung lcd running it native res via the extend display in vista.

Today i tried this hooked up computer and ps3 via lan cables and streamed. To my utter surprise/shock the quality was noticeably more vibrant and bright via the ps3.

I am still confused why ... :rolleyes:

Just google search Step by Step Guide on How to Convert, Stream and Play HD 720p, 1080p MKV on PS3 (PlayStation 3)

You will find a powerful MKV to PS3 Converter as well as a step by step guide on how to convert MKV to PS3 supported format so as to successfully stream and play HD 720p or 1080p MKV on PS3.

Hi,

Have been using the PS3 media server for last 4 years now and I think thats the best one. Mine (fat 80 GB) is wired using 20 mtrs CAT6 cable through the router and it playes videos (avi, mp4, divx, mkv & mt2s, file size limitation upto 4 gb) stored on an external hard disk attached to the computer without any issues. For videos over 4 gb, it displayes them as thumbnail but wont play.

With ps3 media server, you also get some internet radio stations, though choices are very limited.

As regards to video upscaling, I find it very superior as compared to mid hi-fi dvd players. When I compared same through Denon 1040 CI, which was considered to be one of the best upscallers at some point, I have not noticed any difference in quality.

Soon will be comparing with Oppo BDP 93 which has the best upscaling chip as on today.

Regards,

Amit

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back