streaming netflix via TV to denon 550bt - unable to get sound mode of 5.1

Vijey_rockz

Hello Friends,

I have a sony 4k smart TV to which I stream netflix directly and via the ARC I get the audio to my AV receiver Denon 550BT, however even though there are episodes which support 5.1 in Netflix, my Denon doesn't give me the option of 5.1 modes and gives me only Multi channel Stereo and other stereo related modes.

But , if I stream music directly to the receiver via bluetooth, I get all the 5.1 modes on my Denon, Kindly let me know how to fix this, so that I can enjoy 4k netflix content in 5.1 on my Denon receiver.

Note - one of my friend told me that this problem could be resolved if I stream content directly to my receiver via a chromecast or fire TV stick and then take the video out to my TV.

Kindly let me know if anyone else faced the same problem and what is the work around.

Regards
Vijey S

Hello Friends,

I have a sony 4k smart TV to which I stream netflix directly and via the ARC I get the audio to my AV receiver Denon 550BT, however even though there are episodes which support 5.1 in Netflix, my Denon doesn't give me the option of 5.1 modes and gives me only Multi channel Stereo and other stereo related modes.

But , if I stream music directly to the receiver via bluetooth, I get all the 5.1 modes on my Denon, Kindly let me know how to fix this, so that I can enjoy 4k netflix content in 5.1 on my Denon receiver.

Note - one of my friend told me that this problem could be resolved if I stream content directly to my receiver via a chromecast or fire TV stick and then take the video out to my TV.

Kindly let me know if anyone else faced the same problem and what is the work around.

Regards
Vijey S
Hi, plz check the arc audio out settings in TV, set it to pass through. This will send 5.1 signal to AVR.

Hi, plz check the arc audio out settings in TV, set it to pass through. This will send 5.1 signal to AVR.
Hi Arun,

Pass through is already enabled in AVR, but there is no separate ARC setting on TV, do you have Sony TV? If so kindly send me pic of the setting.

Regards
Vijey

When streaming Netflix on TV and audio to AVR via ARC, pls check the input audio signal format in Denon, is it 2.0 PCM? If yes, check the Audio settings in TV, select audio output as one of these (Dolby Digital, DD+, Unprocessed, Raw etc). Or let us know what options do you have in your TV.

Hi @Vijey_rockz,
I have LG tv and option will look something like the pic in your tv. My TV got options like Auto, PCM, Passthrough. I’ve set to Passthrough so that it sends whatever audio signal from OTT app to AVR.

Attachments

• 287A4223-9283-49D8-BAAC-55294A5EFA81.jpeg
    287A4223-9283-49D8-BAAC-55294A5EFA81.jpeg
    347.6 KB · Views: 15
Hello Friends,

Regards
Vijey S
Does this happen with Netflix alone or even with Prime videos? The LG TV I have has the same problem when connected through Onkyo receiver but when connected through Firestick through Onkyo the DD+ is enabled. However Prime video works well with DD+ when connected directly through LG TV. Unlike Prime video netflix is very picky when it comes to 5.1 audio and supports devices that they license like Firestick, Nvidea media player etc...

Does this happen with Netflix alone or even with Prime videos? The LG TV I have has the same problem when connected through Onkyo receiver but when connected through Firestick through Onkyo the DD+ is enabled. However Prime video works well with DD+ when connected directly through LG TV. Unlike Prime video netflix is very picky when it comes to 5.1 audio and supports devices that they license like Firestick, Nvidea media player etc...
Hi Mathan,

This happens all the time for me :-(, so planning to get a fire stick during the up coming Amazon sale.

Vijey S

Hi @Vijey_rockz,
I have LG tv and option will look something like the pic in your tv. My TV got options like Auto, PCM, Passthrough. I’ve set to Passthrough so that it sends whatever audio signal from OTT app to AVR.
Thanks for the pic, Arun, unfortunately my Sony doesn't have any such settings. Anyone else with Sony can confirm this..

Thanks again for sending me the pic.

Thanks for the pic, Arun, unfortunately my Sony doesn't have any such settings. Anyone else with Sony can confirm this..

Thanks again for sending me the pic.
In that case I think TV is sending only stereo signal. It’s better to get fire stick and connect it to AVR. I use Apple TV in a similar way so that I don’t compromise on SQ.

In my Sony TV, the options are as follows: Display&Sound, Audio Output
eARC mode - Auto
Pass-thru mode - Auto

Set these as above and check.

In my Sony TV, the options are as follows: Display&Sound, Audio Output
eARC mode - Auto
Pass-thru mode - Auto

Set these as above and check.
Thank you Kumar,

Unfortunately my Sony Bravia doesn't support eARC and the settings are different, guess my only option is to get a fire stick

Last edited:
Thank you Kumar,

Unfortunately my Sony Bravia doesn't support eARC and the settings are different, guess my only option is to get a fire stick
You don't need eARC for 5.1 support, ARC should be more than sufficient. Check the manual of the Tv for 5.1 pass-through settings.

You don't need eARC for 5.1 support, ARC should be more than sufficient. Check the manual of the Tv for 5.1 pass-through settings.
Thank you for the tip, I found this in user manual, now does this mean that only two channel is supported? and there is nothing mentioned about pass through in the manual.

Attachments

• sony_arc.png
    sony_arc.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 10
  • sony_arc_2.png
    sony_arc_2.png
    372.9 KB · Views: 9
Thank you for the tip, I found this in user manual, now does this mean that only two channel is supported?
It does support DD/DD+, so 5.1 should work without any issues. You can compare the different standards here. Any better with a different HDMI cable?

When streaming Netflix on TV and audio to AVR via ARC, pls check the input audio signal format in Denon, is it 2.0 PCM? If yes, check the Audio settings in TV, select audio output as one of these (Dolby Digital, DD+, Unprocessed, Raw etc). Or let us know what options do you have in your TV.
Have you checked the input audio signal format on AVR, is it 2.0? You should definitely get DD/DD+ thru ARC, let us crack it.
Add some images of your audio menu options on TV, the web manual was not at all detailed enough.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back