streaming to media player wirelessly from my laptop

gurujee

hi, NOOB here.

I want to stream music wirelessly to my z906 which is connected to LED in living room.

Now i dont know, how to and what equipment i need. sony LED is DLNA certified but needs wireless adapter.

I think to get Asus oplay air, reading that it is wireless.

Now i have a question if i turn on my laptop wifi, will it find asus o player ? And when i play music from laptop, will it be played on speakers via asus oplay air ?

Or i need some additional equipments(router!!!:eek:) to make it happen ?

Few things that you need.
DLNA server, that will do the streaming.
The media content availability/storage that needs to be streamed.
The DLNA client software/equipment, which in your case is your LED TV.

I would suggest, following steps.
1. Install DLNA server on your laptop. Google for tvmobili, its quite good and painless to use.
2. Get your DLNA client and server on the same network. COuld be wireless or wired.

Your DLNA client should detect the presence of server and offer to stream.

This wont be your final setup as your have want to do it wireless and have something called "z906" also , not sure what that is. But to test the DLNA capability of your TV above steps would be a good starting point.

hope this helps.

Thanks
Gaurav

Last edited:
what to do if I want to stream music and videos from my PC to DLNA enabled TV, they are on same wifi network

windows vista doesnt seem to have any built in app for this, any suggestion ?

hi, NOOB here.

I want to stream music wirelessly to my z906 which is connected to LED in living room.

Now i dont know, how to and what equipment i need. sony LED is DLNA certified but needs wireless adapter.

Now i have a question if i turn on my laptop wifi, will it find asus o player ? And when i play music from laptop, will it be played on speakers via asus oplay air ?

ASUS OPlay Air is not DLNA compliant so you cannot play music on your laptop and expect ASUS O Play Air to catch it and send to TV / z906. This can only happen with your TV which in your present setup is the only DLNA compliant device you have. Unless you purchase TV's wireless adapter or at best place a wired connection between your TV and your wireless router (i am guessing that you have one since you shortlisted ASUS OPlay Air) you cannot make use of DLNA, not even by installing any software in your laptop. In case you have the TV network connected you could have made use of DLNA where on your laptop you select one song/movie and play it and your TV will wirelessly play it. windows 7 Ultimate / Pro I think has built in DLNA inside Windows Media Player.

However the next best option for you is to connect OPlay Air to TV / z906 and assuming that there is a common wifi network in your home, if you laptop (which has movies and music stored on hard disk) and ASUS OPlay Air connect wirelessly to safe wifi signal then files shared on your laptop can be accessed by OPlay Air and played on your TV.

Please note that this works well for music but for movies, a stutter free playback wirelessly requires good wifi network throughput, so either play only 700MB ~ 1GB movies only or for higher movie files (of course not sure what wifi router your have since this is dependant on that as well) buy a powerful router.

what to do if I want to stream music and videos from my PC to DLNA enabled TV, they are on same wifi network

check windows media player if that support media streaming option, this works via windows media player in windows 7.

wi 7 has built in dlna with media player but vista doesn't, thats why need an app which can do that for vista

Buy a media player which supports DLNA. Most WiFi players are DLNA ready like the Himedia HD600b which I owned. Check whether Asus Oplay has DLNA.

To play or stream music from your laptop, you will need to connect both the player and the laptop to a wireless or wired network. If your laptop OS is Win 7, then you can create a virtual wifi hotspot and connect the laptop to player without any additional router or adapter. But there may be some issues with wifi range. Or you can connect the player and laptop directly using network cable.

WMP can be used to stream your media to DLNA devices. Connect the TV and PC to network and enable media sharing in Vista. You will now see the DLNA device under network devices. Now you can right click any media file in explorer and use 'Play To' > DLNA device. You can also stream from WMP.

However the next best option for you is to connect OPlay Air to TV / z906 and assuming that there is a common wifi network in your home, if you laptop (which has movies and music stored on hard disk) and ASUS OPlay Air connect wirelessly to safe wifi signal then files shared on your laptop can be accessed by OPlay Air and played on your TV.

Please note that this works well for music but for movies, a stutter free playback wirelessly requires good wifi network throughput, so either play only 700MB ~ 1GB movies only or for higher movie files (of course not sure what wifi router your have since this is dependant on that as well) buy a powerful router.

This would be the best option. I have connected my WD media player exactly like this using a gigabit router, but wired. Plays great. As haisaikat mentioned, make sure you have a very good wifi router, a N300 type. I am not sure if Asus has a N wifi capacity though :)

Buy a media player which supports DLNA. Most WiFi players are DLNA ready like the Himedia HD600b which I owned. Check whether Asus Oplay has DLNA.

To play or stream music from your laptop, you will need to connect both the player and the laptop to a wireless or wired network. If your laptop OS is Win 7, then you can create a virtual wifi hotspot and connect the laptop to player without any additional router or adapter. But there may be some issues with wifi range. Or you can connect the player and laptop directly using network cable.

WMP can be used to stream your media to DLNA devices. Connect the TV and PC to network and enable media sharing in Vista. You will now see the DLNA device under network devices. Now you can right click any media file in explorer and use 'Play To' > DLNA device. You can also stream from WMP.

can you tell me steps how to do in WMP in vista ? I checked in device tab in WMP option but cant see my bravia TV neither HD900B

both of these I can see and stream from my android phone very well

I am using Windows 7. In my office pc which has vista, I have seen my laptop with win 7 appear as a dlna device. If wmp does not support dlna in vista, then you can use XBMC which has DLNA support.

I am using Windows 7. In my office pc which has vista, I have seen my laptop with win 7 appear as a dlna device. If wmp does not support dlna in vista, then you can use XBMC which has DLNA support.

oksy I now installed xbmc but I dont find an option to stream music , video from it to my TV or HD900, its so simple in android phone, just select any music or video or picture and beam it to TV, how to do it from vista or xbmc

Few things that you need.
DLNA server, that will do the streaming.
The media content availability/storage that needs to be streamed.
The DLNA client software/equipment, which in your case is your LED TV.

I would suggest, following steps.
1. Install DLNA server on your laptop. Google for tvmobili, its quite good and painless to use.
2. Get your DLNA client and server on the same network. COuld be wireless or wired.

Your DLNA client should detect the presence of server and offer to stream.

This wont be your final setup as your have want to do it wireless and have something called "z906" also , not sure what that is. But to test the DLNA capability of your TV above steps would be a good starting point.

hope this helps.

Thanks
Gaurav

hey thanks for the tips.
z906 is logitech 5.1 speakers which is connected to the tv. i dont have much idea about this wireless things and networking. all I wish to, when i start playing music on my laptop that should be player by my speakers (wirelessly)

ASUS OPlay Air is not DLNA compliant so you cannot play music on your laptop and expect ASUS O Play Air to catch it and send to TV / z906. This can only happen with your TV which in your present setup is the only DLNA compliant device you have. Unless you purchase TV's wireless adapter or at best place a wired connection between your TV and your wireless router (i am guessing that you have one since you shortlisted ASUS OPlay Air) you cannot make use of DLNA, not even by installing any software in your laptop. In case you have the TV network connected you could have made use of DLNA where on your laptop you select one song/movie and play it and your TV will wirelessly play it. windows 7 Ultimate / Pro I think has built in DLNA inside Windows Media Player.

asus site describes DLNA as its feature
http://i43.tinypic.com/72vpef.png

actually i want to play music only. and like u said, i want to play on laptop and listen it on speakers. I have no router and wifi at home till now. So i want to know, does my requirement need a router ?

what if asus or himedia has wifi & DLNA, and then i turn on my laptop wifi, (after installing dlna client, software etc) will it find the player, and when play music, expect to be heard from speakers ?

how much Himedia HD600b costs ? it has inbuilt wifi ? where i can get it online ?

i have xp installed, but i have win7 also. i want to spend for the essential goods. So i thought spending 4k for a sony wireless adapter is foolish if i can get a media player with some additional expense (as i dont have a media player also)

This would be the best option. I have connected my WD media player exactly like this using a gigabit router, but wired. Plays great. As haisaikat mentioned, make sure you have a very good wifi router, a N300 type. I am not sure if Asus has a N wifi capacity though :)

asus has mentioned 802.11n and DLNA as its feature. :(

Thanks all for replying. please help me out by providing steps to make the setup. :eek:

how much Himedia HD600b costs ? it has inbuilt wifi ? where i can get it online ?

i have xp installed, but i have win7 also. i want to spend for the essential goods. So i thought spending 4k for a sony wireless adapter is foolish if i can get a media player with some additional expense (as i dont have a media player also)

HD600 with wifi will cost you around Rs.9500/-. I bought one in August, for Rs.7200/- which I sold to a fellow member. You can buy it from detna. The seller is very reliable and fast in shipping the products. You could also consider HD600c which doesn't have front display and comes with a cooling fan.

Media Player Box

For DLNA to work, Windows 7 is the best as WMP in Win 7 has DLNA feature. You don't need to buy wiif router as you can use laptop wifi to connect to your player.

HD600 with wifi will cost you around Rs.9500/-. I bought one in August, for Rs.7200/- which I sold to a fellow member. You can buy it from detna. The seller is very reliable and fast in shipping the products. You could also consider HD600c which doesn't have front display and comes with a cooling fan.

Media Player Box

For DLNA to work, Windows 7 is the best as WMP in Win 7 has DLNA feature. You don't need to buy wiif router as you can use laptop wifi to connect to your player.
Wow. thats great info. Thanks..thats all i want to know.

Himedia HD600b is, though, expensive very attractive. IS it full Value-for-money ?

Rs.6.5k - 600A is also looks good(look wise) . Only difference is front display and touch buttons ?

asus site describes DLNA as its feature
http://i43.tinypic.com/72vpef.png

actually i want to play music only. and like u said, i want to play on laptop and listen it on speakers. I have no router and wifi at home till now. So i want to know, does my requirement need a router ?

what if asus or himedia has wifi & DLNA, and then i turn on my laptop wifi, (after installing dlna client, software etc) will it find the player, and when play music, expect to be heard from speakers ?

asus has mentioned 802.11n and DLNA as its feature. :(

Wifi-N for ASUS OPlay Air is confirmed since I use it.

Regarding DLNA, note that ASUS O Play Air means UPnp only for file streaming over wifi, but not the remote control type playback control via laptop that you are expecting.

Tweaking your laptop in Windows 7 may give you a small range wifi provided you have to do some research on it. At best you should get a wifi router for better throughput and range for as low as 1500 INR.

Last edited:
Wow. thats great info. Thanks..thats all i want to know.

Himedia HD600b is, though, expensive very attractive. IS it full Value-for-money ?

Rs.6.5k - 600A is also looks good(look wise) . Only difference is front display and touch buttons ?

600b supports HDD bay to fix a 3.5" HDD where as with 600a you will need to use external HDD. Apart from that there should not be any difference. Both share the same the chipset and firmware. About laptop wifi, the range may be small as haisaikat noted, but should do the work if both are in the same room.

Wifi-N for ASUS OPlay Air is confirmed since I use it.

Regarding DLNA, note that ASUS O Play Air means UPnp only for file streaming over wifi, but not the remote control type playback control via laptop that you are expecting.

Tweaking your laptop in Windows 7 may give you a small range wifi provided you have to do some research on it. At best you should get a wifi router for better throughput and range for as low as 1500 INR.

You have to

i can consider getting a router, if wifi range becomes a problem. but how much research i need :eek:

since Himedia supports DLNA, can it be used like a remote control ? like i want to play ?

600b supports HDD bay to fix a 3.5" HDD where as with 600a you will need to use external HDD. Apart from that there should not be any difference. Both share the same the chipset and firmware. About laptop wifi, the range may be small as haisaikat noted, but should do the work if both are in the same room.

600b also seems has display which is looking good.:licklips:

can its DLNA permit me to control the player through laptop ? like when i play song on lappy, player plays it through speakers.

600b also seems has display which is looking good.:licklips:

can its DLNA permit me to control the player through laptop ? like when i play song on lappy, player plays it through speakers.

You can play media files from your laptop to the player by using the 'Play To' command in explorer or from WMP.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back