Studio monitors under 60k?..

venugopal.k.10

I was using yamaha hs5 for composing and mixing .. But they were harsh (at least , in my room) and used to get headaches ... So sold them off ..

Now, I have a little bigger budget of60k at my disposal ... Unlike in foreign countries, we don't have the luxury of auditioning speakers before purchase .. But based on reviews , equator audio D8 are great .. But they are 'nowhere' in stock throughout India .. I am afraid Hs8 also might be harsh ....
So, what are my options ? .. Any help and suggestions will be of great help .....
Thanks in advance !

Can you elaborate more on your setup ? Did you place them on isolators or desk ?

What interface are you using ? You use them at home or dedicated studio ?

When initially I auditioned HS5, I found them good, but when I listened to HS80m I was really impressed by them. HS80m really need good positioning.

The Chennai based importer was expecting a shipment of the D8 around the month end. You can check if that is pre sold or there is a pair available.

Other options to consider are the focals (distributor in Mumbai) or higher end KRK (above the Rokit series). It should be possible to demo these

Also, is your room properly treated?

Last edited:
Genelec studio monitors are good.I heard it with different sound tracks and it was really impressive. Especially the detail.I don't know about the pricing but they have a wide range of products. And the are active speakers.

Genelec studio monitors are good.I heard it with different sound tracks and it was really impressive. Especially the detail.I don't know about the pricing...

It's high. If I remember correctly, 60K would get you a pair of tiny Genelecs that they sell as laptop speakers. When I say "high" it's in the context that studio-quality, active monitors are expensive.

Venugopal, have you looked at the question/answer threads, and the reviews, on Gearslutz? It's a huge forum with a membership from broke beginners to famous-name engineers and pretty-much all budgets are included.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back