Sub Crossover for Marantz Model 30 Stereo Amplifier?

nitinvaid20

Hello Everyone
From past almost a year i was using AVR Marantz SR7015 for listening music along with watching movies but recently i decided to get Dedicated Stereo AMP
Before buying this Model 30 AMP i was in touch with JL AUdio Team as i am using JL AUDIO E112 Sub so i asked them will this amp would be good for there subs as this does not have dedicated sub port the replied to me

"The Marantz Model 30 would be an excellent choice for your e112. It is one of the few integrated amplifiers that has BOTH the stereo preamp outputs and the stereo power amp inputs. This allows you to take full advantage of the e112's Linkwitz-Riley 24dB per octave two-way crossover"

Basically they asked me to use Model 30 Preouts left and right to inputs of E112 SUB and from E112 Line out left and right to Power Amp In of Model 30from which i
understood sub will do the cross over so that my main speakers wont be getting low freq means i can play more loud music without distortion.
But when i got the setup it was not working i tried and nothing then it seems My Model 30 Does not supports pre outs and power amp in at same time so no cross over for me or i am doing something wrong please let me know any alternatives to do the cross over so that my main speakers Martin Logan 35 XTI wont get full range

Streamer i am using is Cambridge Audio CXN
And yes to test JL Audio theory about there sub cross over what i did
CXN audio out to JL Audio SUB line in
then Line out of SUB to Model 30 Inputs
and yes speakers were not getting low freq anymore
But that connection doesnt feels right to me so not using this one

Basically they asked me to use Model 30 Preouts left and right to inputs of E112 SUB and from E112 Line out left and right to Power Amp In of Model 30
Am a bit confused. Let me first of all state that I have not connected something like this before but the recommendation to connect the line out to the Power Amp in sounds strange. What if the Stereo amp does not have a power amp in ? Shouldn't the line out from the sub go into one of the inputs of the marantz like CD or Line in 1 or Line in 2 ? The inputs are where the Marantz is expecting a signal to amplify and send to the speakers, not at the Power Amp In of the Marantz. Marantz expects a Power Amp to be connected at the Power Amp in. Let me again state that I never tired this earlier and try the above recommendation after getting it verified.

Last edited:
Am a bit confused. Let me first of all state that I have not connected something like this before but the recommendation to connect the line out to the Power Amp in sounds strange. What if the Stereo amp does not have a power amp in ? Shouldn't the line out from the sub go into one of the inputs of the marantz like CD or Line in 1 or Line in 2 ? The inputs are where the Marantz is expecting a signal to amplify and send to the speakers, not at the Power Amp In of the Marantz. Marantz expects a Power Amp to be connected at the Power Amp in. Let me again state that I never tired this earlier and try the above recommendation after getting it verified.
On my way to work, I realized that the Marantz had both pre out and pre in and that if both are used then it would not work. Even if it did, it would need a volume control somewhere in the chain or trouble.

Wonders if a source can directly be connected to the line in of the sub and take a line out to the inputs of the amp.

Edit: Just read that this has already been tried by the OP

Nonetheless, this is the first time I am coming across this kind of connectivity and I did find it interesting.

Last edited:
Marantz expects a Power Amp to be connected at the Power Amp in.

In Pre-Out mode the device will work exclusively as a preamp and a power amp has to be connected to this.

In Power-In mode the device will behave purely as a power amp. A preamp has to be fed to these inputs.

The Line-out in the JL Audio can also be used to daisy chain multiple subwoofers.

Last edited:
On my way to work, I realized that the Marantz had both pre out and pre in

In Pre-Out mode the device will work exclusively as a preamp and a power amp has to be connected to this.

In Power-In mode the device will behave purely as a power amp. A preamp has to be fed to these inputs.

The Line-out in the JL Audio can also be used to daisy chain multiple subwoofers.
Sir,

I was just about to tag you to the thread. Any solution to the OP ?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back