Sub for KEF LS 50

Connected old Sony speakers and new KEF speakers to the same port of the yam amp ,giving little overall bass .
Please don't do this. It is a recipe for disaster.
Always connect only one speaker to one pair of terminals.
Cheers,
Raghu

Don't do this. The LS50 can present very low impedance by itself.
Adding speakers in parallel further decreases impedance and Amp has to work very hard to drive.
It will clip and fry the tweeter or fry itself.
When you get your sub for tune for bass.
Cheers,
Raghu

:( You'll kill the amp sir. You can't use audiophile speakers that way. Suggest you get a subwoofer and use the kef on a high pass crossover at 80hz without adding the sony. Then you'll get everything you want.

You want to dispose those speakers before you kill them, give me a call :)
I live right next door to pimpri!

Friends technically what happens if one connects 2 speakers on the same port of the amp...
I suggest you please disconnect Sony speakers from the same port on the AVR as suggested by many of the experienced FMs here. I think it is a recipe for disaster as it can fry the AVR and/or KEF speakers. Instead, try to get a good sub that match your setup.
All the best.

Friends technically what happens if one connects 2 speakers on the same port of the amp...
What do you expect to "gain" ?

Givens:

1) ls 50 spec says 70hz. You may /not get that in room

2) it is a fairly demanding speaker in terms of amplification and placement. It is likely that the AVR you are using is inadequate.

3) a stereo image is the resultant of distinct signal in the right and left channels. What is the point of crossing channels ie having in effect summed mono channels on both sides.

4) potential damage to your electronics and speakers

5) the KEF LS 50 is a lovely speaker. I suggest that you read and understand what it can do. And on how stereo works, and should be set up.

6) It is your money/ equipment to burn / use as you deem fit

Ciao
GR

At low volumes the kef really shine , they provide supreme clarity and adequate bass.

How ever when you r in a party mood or want to hear that one groovy song , it just doesn't give those thumps

With so many posts advising me not to biconnect two different speakers to the same port of the amp, I was pretty scared and couldn't wait in the morning to try out my KEF's and see if they r still good.
removed the Sony speaker connections and tried out a song on the kefs , they're still alive a sign of relief.

If probably might have to buy a sub.

For now one query,
Can I connect the Sony speakers as surrounds with the kef's connected as the fronts .
My amp is the yam rxv 479
Pls advise friends.

BTW,I checked the Sony speakers are also 8 ohm impedence

For now one query,
Can I connect the Sony speakers as surrounds with the kef's connected as the fronts .
Pls advise friends.
Yes, you can.

What do you plan to do to get the best out of the LS50s?
Amplification, subwoofer? How are you planing to do it?
Don't forget good stands.

With so many posts advising me not to biconnect two different speakers to the same port of the amp, I was pretty scared and couldn't wait in the morning to try out my KEF's and see if they r still good.
removed the Sony speaker connections and tried out a song on the kefs , they're still alive a sign of relief.

If probably might have to buy a sub.

For now one query,
Pls advise friends.
Yes you can enjoy movies this way.
For music the amp will default to stereo mode.

KEF LS50 presents a demanding impedance across the frequency spectrum. This is why the AVR may struggle.
Add low efficiency to the mix, the LS50 will need double the power as an 88dB speaker to produce the same SPL.

Cheers,
Raghu

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back