Sub-Woofer for Indian Music (e.g. Tabla bass drum)

I am also thinking about going for a 2 Channel Amp + Separate speakers for a Music setup. Can you plz suggest Amp + speaker options for a budget within 2 lacs ?
Very sensible thinking.
Rethm/Lyrita would be ideal.
Look at below speakers for sale in NCR with a Lyrita amp. Of course, that is in case tube amps interest you.
Though, the speakers will play very well with SS amps too.
Do go and get a listen.
Rethm speakers have built-in subwoofers with adjustable bass level.

Acoustic Portrait of Bangalore (acousticportrait.com) is also super for Indian music.

Very sensible thinking.
Rethm/Lyrita would be ideal.
Look at below speakers for sale in NCR with a Lyrita amp. Of course, that is in case tube amps interest you.
Though, the speakers will play very well with SS amps too.
Do go and get a listen.
Rethm speakers have built-in subwoofers with adjustable bass level.

Acoustic Portrait of Bangalore (acousticportrait.com) is also super for Indian music.
Thanks. Will explore this.

So many options and its very subjective. If i were to focus on the Midrange which is the most critical for Indian music

If you are thinking new then
I would go with around 1L for a good speaker and the rest for a good amp+source. ( i assume you are have a good dac ? )
I off late have developed a liking for Fyne Audio but again this is a personal preference and speakers being very personal, likings can vary a lot.
https://hifimart.com/product/fyne-audio-f303-speaker-pair-html/ is a great speaker

If you dont have a DAC then you can afford to spend more on a Speaker like the F501 at 1.4L and this as a amp+ source might hit the right spots at 2L

But 2L is a lot ..you could also go for the Rethm speakers with a nice tube amp from Lyrita Audio as naturelover has already suggested.

ok..no clue on that since I prefer not going down that route...

REL has that option. a special cable whose one end connects to the Amp speaker output and other end to a Sub High level in, so it works as an extension of the speaker.
Do we need 1 REL sub per Tower speaker ? Or 1 REL can be connected to two tower speakers ?

So many options and its very subjective. If i were to focus on the Midrange which is the most critical for Indian music

If you are thinking new then
I would go with around 1L for a good speaker and the rest for a good amp+source. ( i assume you are have a good dac ? )
I off late have developed a liking for Fyne Audio but again this is a personal preference and speakers being very personal, likings can vary a lot.
https://hifimart.com/product/fyne-audio-f303-speaker-pair-html/ is a great speaker

If you dont have a DAC then you can afford to spend more on a Speaker like the F501 at 1.4L and this as a amp+ source might hit the right spots at 2L

But 2L is a lot ..you could also go for the Rethm speakers with a nice tube amp from Lyrita Audio as naturelover has already suggested.
I don't have DAC. How is Cambridge Audio CXA81 for an integrated Amp ?

Do we need 1 REL sub per Tower speaker ? Or 1 REL can be connected to two tower speakers ?
REL produces two kinds of Subwoofers, SQ (Music Centric) like T/S Series & SPL (Movie Friendly) like HT series. Now, these SQ Subwoofers come with their proprietary Hight Level Input, which enables you to hook them to Amplifier directly. Considering your room size (20x11), I would at least go with their T/7x (preferably T/9x) model.

My suggestion is to get good floor standing speakers for the best reproduction of Tabla. Unless you do a high level connection with some really matching subs and setting it all very well. If done wrong (which is an extremely common phenomenon), a sub just adds thickness to the bass and you will lose out on pitch definition and detail in bass. A floorstander from Acoustic portrait will do wonders. The scanspeak drivers do classical instruments so well. Transparency with tone is key because we are so used to the sound of these instruments and can easily tell if something is off.

Last edited:
Great suggestion SW.
@druk2004 if you were in bangalore you could have dropped in to acoustic portrait and heard their system as a whole..since they do a lot of live recordings of artists and then do a playback to a very good realism, would have been good for you to experience as well !

My suggestion is to get good floor standing speakers for the best reproduction of Tabla. Unless you do a high level connection with some really matching subs and setting it all very well. If done wrong (which is an extremely common phenomenon), a sub just adds thickness to the bass and you will lose out on pitch definition and detail in bass. A floorstander from Acoustic portrait will do wonders. The scanspeak drivers do classical instruments so well. Transparency with tone is key because we are so used to the sound of these instruments and can easily tell if something is off.
I tend to agree with you. I plan to do some demos with a Stereo Amp + Floor Standers. Since I bought the LG OLEDs, I dont feel like hooking up the home theatre. The sound output from TV itself is good enough. Maybe, I will see my HT setup and use the money to build a good stereo setup

Great suggestion SW.
@druk2004 if you were in bangalore you could have dropped in to acoustic portrait and heard their system as a whole..since they do a lot of live recordings of artists and then do a playback to a very good realism, would have been good for you to experience as well !
unfortunately, I am not from bangalore. But if I happen to travel there, I will definitely make it a point to listen in

I am also thinking about going for a 2 Channel Amp + Separate speakers for a Music setup. Can you plz suggest Amp + speaker options for a budget within 2 lacs ?
If classical music performance is what you are looking for then I insist you check out Acoustic Portrait’s MS210 bookshelf monitors. They are excellent. You can either pair it with their own amps or with any other good amps that falls in your budget. For classical music and especially for realistic reproduction of that instrument this particular speakers do a great job.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back