Sub Woofer HELP !!

Get2Ricky

Following is the setup i currently have:

1. Yamaha AVR HTR 3067 (as its the same as RXV 377 which i was looking for)
2. Yamaha NS-8390 Floor standing speakers (PAIR) - Front Left and Right
3. Yamaha NS-P150 for surrounds and center.
4. No subwoofer for now as i already exceeded my budget lol

Now i wish to add a sub to further increase my experience as according to few people i am missing those low bass frequencies that my floor standers not able to give. Is this true? Do i really need a sub when my floor standers can go as low as 35 Hz? If yes then should i go for 40K plus sub or a normal 30K one will do considering my room is only 10 x 12 ft.

Please suggest a subwoofer that could go lower then 35Hz and literally gives me earth rattling bass :p as thats the only thing i am missing :p

Thanks in advance :)

Sub woofer is must in Home theatre system. My suggestion is don't purchase below 250 watts powered Sub.
I suggested to ''POLK AUDIO DSW PRO 660 or POLK AUDIO DSW PRO 550''. These are very punchy sound. You can use different brand sub no problem.

Last edited:
Hi, for movies i would suggest to go with SVS PB1000 or SVS PB2000 subwoofer. SVS PB1000 goes as low as 19hz and PB2000 goes upto 17Hz. Frequency response may vary according to your room acoustics. I currently own SVS PB2000 and Wharfadel SW150. For music i like Wharfadel SW150 even though it is only 150w and frequency response is only 35Hz.

Sub woofer is must in Home theatre system. My suggestion is don't purchase below 250 watts powered Sub.
I suggested to ''POLK AUDIO DSW PRO 660 or POLK AUDIO DSW PRO 550''. These are very punchy sound. You can use different brand sub no problem.

Its price? And where i can audition this in Chandigarh or nearby if possible?

Hi, for movies i would suggest to go with SVS PB1000 or SVS PB2000 subwoofer. SVS PB1000 goes as low as 19hz and PB2000 goes upto 17Hz. Frequency response may vary according to your room acoustics. I currently own SVS PB2000 and Wharfadel SW150. For music i like Wharfadel SW150 even though it is only 150w and frequency response is only 35Hz.

Hmmm Pb2000 would be way outta budget and if i am not wrong PB1000 is around 45-47K right? And how this is when compared to JBL Studio Sub 260p as both are in the same price range? And wouldn't it be overkill for my small room i.e. 10ft by 12ft??

Hmmm Pb2000 would be way outta budget and if i am not wrong PB1000 is around 45-47K right? And how this is when compared to JBL Studio Sub 260p as both are in the same price range? And wouldn't it be overkill for my small room i.e. 10ft by 12ft??

JBL ES-150P very good for music and movies.

So finally you went with Yamaha AVR :)

On your question about the sub, word of caution - I am not an expert but a user.

I have a living room (11x33) and the listening position is about 15ft. For your room-size, I don't think you are missing the world without a sub but you if love thumping music and want to feel the vibrations when the bird flaps its wings in Avatar then you can go for velodyne impact 12 which should be around 27k. Don't quote me on the price coz I bought impact 12 more than a year ago for 29k. The difference between 10 and 12 was 2k so went for Impact 12.
Another feature that you should be aware that the Impact series has a 'auto-standby' feature which is not liked by many people. What it means is - when I am watching the usual programs in Tata Sky, the volume is around '-35 Db' and the sub usually goes on stand-by at this level but when I am watching a movie or listening to music, the volume is between '-25 Db to -30 Db' and at this level the sub comes into play.
The size is pretty huge so please keep in mind to have adequate place for it.

Let me know if you have any other questions regarding Impact 12.

So finally you went with Yamaha AVR :)

On your question about the sub, word of caution - I am not an expert but a user.

I have a living room (11x33) and the listening position is about 15ft. For your room-size, I don't think you are missing the world without a sub but you if love thumping music and want to feel the vibrations when the bird flaps its wings in Avatar then you can go for velodyne impact 12 which should be around 27k. Don't quote me on the price coz I bought impact 12 more than a year ago for 29k. The difference between 10 and 12 was 2k so went for Impact 12.
Another feature that you should be aware that the Impact series has a 'auto-standby' feature which is not liked by many people. What it means is - when I am watching the usual programs in Tata Sky, the volume is around '-35 Db' and the sub usually goes on stand-by at this level but when I am watching a movie or listening to music, the volume is between '-25 Db to -30 Db' and at this level the sub comes into play.
The size is pretty huge so please keep in mind to have adequate place for it.

Let me know if you have any other questions regarding Impact 12.

Thanks :) So this means if the volume is low the sub wont kick in? :eek: And from reviews i heard impact 10 is a better in movies and music both whereas impact 12 is not good for music as its bass is not as punchy tight as impact 10 .. And hows JBL subs compared to Velodyne?

Not sure about this as i didn't see anyone suggesting JBL sub much :/ but how is JBL Sub 250p when compared to impact 10?

Other forum members not yet suggested JBL sub, hence 'is it bad'?
It's my service to the unexperiend forum members.... Lot of sub woofers avail in the audio market, someone is always thinking higher priced audio items are good, its not true...

Thanks :) So this means if the volume is low the sub wont kick in? :eek: And from reviews i heard impact 10 is a better in movies and music both whereas impact 12 is not good for music as its bass is not as punchy tight as impact 10 .. And hows JBL subs compared to Velodyne?

That's correct, if the volume is low, it will be on stand-by. There is a work-around to it but for your room, Impact 10 should be good enough. Have a JBL sub in my car and it is pretty ok. Not sure about HT though.

I am planning to buy the Wharfedale Diamond 220 package (220 bookshelves, 220C and 10.DFS as surround) with the SW150 sub. Room size is 16 x 10, Music-Movie (70-30)

The cost of the SW150 sub is 28k, I am thinking if I go for a cheaper sub like the polk sub (PSW 110) which is costing 16k, will be a significant difference in the sound quality ?

Both subs are 10 inch, with polk being 200W, 60-160Hz, whereas the wharfedale is 150w, 35-110Hz.

Is the 12k worth for the SW150 Sub ?

Its finally what you expect the sub to do. You want to hit low frequencies easily and so you will have to buy a higher end subwoofer, say svs or velodyne. Also a good brand would be BIC America, They too have decent subwoofers. The wharfedale sw150 also looks decent. You need not choose a brand same as your speakers. You stand corrected that the polk PSW110 has a response of 32Hz-200Hz as mentioned on their website. What i like about polk audio subwoofers is that they sound pretty good with movies and excel with movies. This is just a personal view however. The extra 12k which you would put in would be differing from person to person. I would recommend you to listen to a few subwoofers in the 30-35k range and also the PSW110 and decide whether the extra cash you put in is giving a significant difference and satisfaction to you or no. Definately you would like the higher end ones but only you can decide if its worth extra. Also as previously mentioned dont go by the higher price go by what you hear and feell:eek:hyeah:

The wharfedale package is overshooting my budget by 15k. It would enable me to get the surrounds costing 17k, rather than buying them later. Btw the profx website too mentions about the frequency range of 60-160hz.

I am planning to buy the Wharfedale Diamond 220 package (220 bookshelves, 220C and 10.DFS as surround) with the SW150 sub. Room size is 16 x 10, Music-Movie (70-30)

The cost of the SW150 sub is 28k, I am thinking if I go for a cheaper sub like the polk sub (PSW 110) which is costing 16k, will be a significant difference in the sound quality ?

Both subs are 10 inch, with polk being 200W, 60-160Hz, whereas the wharfedale is 150w, 35-110Hz.

Is the 12k worth for the SW150 Sub ?

Hi mikilbhatkar, little correction PSW 110 is 100w continuous power and 200w dynamic power whereas sw150 have 150w continuous power and 300w dynamic power. It doesn't make any huge significance in real world situation. I own a sw150 and really liked it.

Guys please if anyone have auditions or used any of below mentioned subs, kindly give your feedback about the performance and Indian Warranty issues:
1. Velodyne Impact 10
2. Velodyne Impact 12
3. BIC America F-12

Looking for punchy tight bass where i could feel(not hear) the bass. Budget 25K-32K

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back