Sub-woofer on ceiling / In-Ceiling Subwoofer

elangoas

Hi All,

Came across in-ceiling subwoofers article - http://www.audioholics.com/diy-audio/hidden-in-floor-in-ceiling-subwoofer-installation..

iws-10-large-jpg.15179

Most of our stereo/HT set-up are in the living room and many don't have the liberty to have more than one/two subs in a living room w.r.t sub-woofer placement on the floor, does in-ceiling subwoofers make a good choice?..

Your thoughts..

HeHe, My sub on the floor rattles my false ceiling. I shudder at the thought of installing one on my false ceiling. Jest aside, who knows, a properly implemented sub in the ceiling may open new possibilities.

I now leave the floor open to the sound engineers :)

HeHe, My sub on the floor rattles my false ceiling. I shudder at the thought of installing one on my false ceiling.

Hope you have single sub..

Jest aside, who knows, a properly implemented sub in the ceiling may open new possibilities.

I now leave the floor open to the sound engineers :)

There are some critical positions for a sub, like midpoint of a wall (or) 1/4th room placement (or) corner placement which is not feasible in living room.. But the same can be possible on ceiling..

I have never heard a subwoofer on ceiling, but it actually is interesting & if that will help acoustically, even better to consider.. But rattling ceiling :confused:

Reading on this topic, came across infinite baffle (IB) subwoofer.. I suppose an in-ceiling subwoofer mounted on false ceiling also qualifies as infinite baffle..

Just for calculation..

Have considered a normal 10 inch subwoofer dimension.. 35 cm (H) x 35cm (W) x 35cm (D) = Volume = 1.5 cubic feet

My living room dimension 14 feet (W) x 11 feet (D) x 1.5 feet (assuming depth of false ceiling) = Volume = 231 cubic feet..

So if subwoofer driver mounted to false ceiling, operate as infinite baffle in 231 cubic feet, would the lower extension be better than a boxed subwoofer? (or) is my understanding wrong?..

Bringing back this thread to get some more inputs..

I have a stereo power amplifier with me unused.. Earlier, thought of DIY sealed subs, powered by the stereo power amplifier for my brother.. But that has been stalled, as he is not interested..

But, am thinking of the same DIY sealed sub (Plywood + car sub-woofer driver) and mounting them on concrete ceiling at ideal locations in my room..

I have earlier done a DIY sealed speaker and mounted them on ceiling for heights (Pics below).. Been working fine for the last 1 yr.. Hence this idea to mount a sealed subwoofer on concrete ceiling in similar fashion..

goEbbn5.jpg

4isy7GQ.jpg

Is it a good idea?..

(or)

My living room dimension 14 feet (W) x 11 feet (D) x 1.5 feet (assuming depth of false ceiling) = Volume = 231 cubic feet..

So if subwoofer driver mounted to false ceiling, operate as infinite baffle in 231 cubic feet, i can source a used 5-channel power amplifier and keep 4 subs on ceiling..

Though it is confusing, i would like to try one of these.. So need your inputs on which of these is a better one?..

Bringing back this thread to get some more inputs..

I have a stereo power amplifier with me unused.. Earlier, thought of DIY sealed subs, powered by the stereo power amplifier for my brother.. But that has been stalled, as he is not interested..

But, am thinking of the same DIY sealed sub (Plywood + car sub-woofer driver) and mounting them on concrete ceiling at ideal locations in my room..

I have earlier done a DIY sealed speaker and mounted them on ceiling for heights (Pics below).. Been working fine for the last 1 yr.. Hence this idea to mount a sealed subwoofer on concrete ceiling in similar fashion..

goEbbn5.jpg

4isy7GQ.jpg

Is it a good idea?..

(or)

So if subwoofer driver mounted to false ceiling, operate as infinite baffle in 231 cubic feet, i can source a used 5-channel power amplifier and keep 4 subs on ceiling..

Though it is confusing, i would like to try one of these.. So need your inputs on which of these is a better one?..
My comments would be .it is not easy job to hang subwoofer in ceiling .
IMO subwoofer suppose to have heavy cabinet in weight and thickness and heavier magnet on back of the speaker.But afaik you may not feel the chest hitting thin with ceiling mounted sub.
Sorry for giving suggestion which I never tried

My comments would be .it is not easy job to hang subwoofer in ceiling .
IMO subwoofer suppose to have heavy cabinet in weight and thickness and heavier magnet on back of the speaker.But afaik you may not feel the chest hitting thin with ceiling mounted sub.
Sorry for giving suggestion which I never tried

Not a problem Kalyan..Thanks for your inputs.. Any input is good, when there is no clarity on the topic..

Yes.. mounting the sub-woofer on ceiling is not going to be easy task (weight being a factor)..

Am tentatively planning to get the false ceiling done.. Usually done with gypsum board.. But if sub-woofer drivers can be mounted on ceiling, then i would consider false ceiling with Plywood, which will also act as huge sealed enclosure (if it can).. So multiple benefits i guess (Subwoofer ideal location, more usable floor space, better bass response, more aesthetic).. but not very sure..

Hence, validating ideas..

Not a problem Kalyan..Thanks for your inputs.. Any input is good, when there is no clarity on the topic..

Yes.. mounting the sub-woofer on ceiling is not going to be easy task (weight being a factor)..

Am tentatively planning to get the false ceiling done.. Usually done with gypsum board.. But if sub-woofer drivers can be mounted on ceiling, then i would consider false ceiling with Plywood, which will also act as huge sealed enclosure (if it can).. So multiple benefits i guess (Subwoofer ideal location, more usable floor space, better bass response, more aesthetic).. but not very sure..

Hence, validating ideas..

It seems like a good option if you plan it from the stage of construction, you can even consider a Near True ceiling. The idea of having 4 (smaller) Subs in corners appears easily achievable if you can mount it on the ceiling, make sure that People living in The upper floor should not be disturbed. Also it will be a acoustically more satisfying experience to have blasts above your head (though technically the bass frequencies can't be localized easily), The psychoacoustics might work much better IMHO.

I haven't done false ceiling in order to avoid these vibration issues, this is a good solution to obtain a even bass response across the room if a proper installation can be done. What is the cost and requirements?

In case of instability, a small speaker accidentally falling on head may be unharmful, but a Sub Falling on head?

What is the cost and requirements?

If a plywood ceiling is good as a sealed enclosure, then i believe it will increase the cost.. I will check with local carpenter & share update..

A 4 ~ 5 channel amplifier + 4 subwoofer drivers..

In case of instability, a small speaker accidentally falling on head may be unharmful, but a Sub Falling on head?

Can understand that.. This is only a concern if you mount it directly on concrete ceiling as a separate box.. Ideally you can make safety measure there..

But for entire plywood ceiling, there wouldn't be a need to worry i guess..

manifold3-717917.jpg

Something like this inside the plywood false ceiling.. 2 subwoofer in one of the room location & an other 2 subwoofers in an other location.. Totally 4 subs.. 2 subwoofers in a location to minimise the vibrations (or) cancel it..

Hey @elangoas , how did you fix the speaker to the ceiling? I am having two spare bookshelf speakers and thinking of using it for height channels, but wondering how I can fix it to the ceiling.

Make sure the fixtures not making rattling sounds between ply woods which is really big nuisance which can't be arrested easily with false ceiling.
Have read somewhere complaints even normal Subwoofer placements on floor,cracks started and visible on false ceiling !!!
atb

Hey @elangoas , how did you fix the speaker to the ceiling?

I got a pair of in-ceiling speakers, made an enclosure box & DIY brackets from scrap iron and mounted them to ceiling.. I did this because, tomorrow if i decide to do a false ceiling, i can always re-use the inceiling speaker and discard the DIY enclosure..

Here is the thread on the same - https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...or-dolby-atmos-dts-x.67107/page-2#post-743046

I am having two spare bookshelf speakers and thinking of using it for height channels, but wondering how I can fix it to the ceiling.

If the speaker has mount hole (or) thread at the back, you can use MX ceiling speaker bracket from ebay.in.. Which model do you have ?

If the speaker has mount hole (or) thread at the back, you can use MX ceiling speaker bracket from ebay.in.. Which model do you have ?

Thank you. Yes, it does have a thread. Let me check on ceiling bracket. Its bookshelves from onkyo, cant recollect the model # now

Thanks for the link to speaker stand, but what I was looking for was that hook which you showed in the first pic. Where did you get it from?
That's not that tough to find out .
you can easily find it in road side hardware shops.
That is called as concrete eye bolt.

Hi elangoas..

I have 4 yamaha IWC series in - ceiling speakers mounted directly on the false ceiling. When I carry out the speaker calibration, when audyssey plays those tones through these speakers, I can sense the false ceiling flexing and vibrating a bit. So mounting a sub might actually contribute to more vibration.

Maybe better to build a thick and rigid Plywood box onto the ceiling and then Mount the driver to this box. The false ceiling when built can be lowered to a level flush with the driver for that seamless look. Will not be a infinite baffled design, but might just work. And the Plywood box might also prevent the bass seeping into the floor above yours. Just my 2 cents :)

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back