sub-woofer prob.

jayantadak

I am using a Jamo subwoofer, i don't know why I get rumbling sounds whenever there is an explosion scene or a crashing scene in a movie. Really speaking the sub-woofer should heignten the enjoyment of the experience but I feel it is jarring and disturbing, by its rumbling sound. I often have to switch off the sub for this reason. Can I know why is it so?
Regards, Jayant, Mumbai, India.

I'm afraid your sub is not able to extend itself to the demands of the low frequency juice channeled to it.

Btw, what model is your sub?

I'm finding most of the subwoofers behave that way.. producing rumbling sounds rather than solid Bass...Sometimes I feel that a good quality front speakers would be better off...

Or you can invest in a really good sub from REL, Sunfire, Velodyne or SVS. Can’t go wrong with any of these brands.

In my opinion, it’s always better not to have a subwoofer than having a poor one ruining the whole effect. Always have your demo scenes handy while auditioning a subwoofer.

This might help-

• War of the worlds - chapter 5 & 6 - Pods emerging
• Master and Commander - chapter 4 - under attack
• Star Wars The Phantom Menace - Chap. 20 - pods race
• The Haunting - Chapter 10 & 28 - Creaking pipes & the children need me
• Lord of the rings: Fellowship - chapters 35 & 36 disc 2 - in the mines
• Superman Returns - chapter 11 - plane rescue
• Flight of the Phoenix - Crash scene
• The Matrix Revolutions - Battle for the dock
• U571 - Depth charged

Another remedy is to use multiple subwoofers.

Best Regards.

Last edited:
I'm afraid your sub is not able to extend itself to the demands of the low frequency juice channeled to it.

Btw, what model is your sub?

Thanx a lot for your reply. The sub-woofer is JAMO E-SUB 3 (75 watts)
Should I go for a sub of more wattage. My front speakers specs are not handy at the moment. I shall let you know in my next thread.
Thanks again and regards.

actually speaking the statement that the sub is producing rumbling sounds is correct - mainly because its a low frequency extension unit. While the main low frequencies are handled by the woofers in the tower, the sub enhances those frequencies that are not handled / put out by the woofers.
Check for the bass port in the sub - is it rear ported? if yes increasing the distance between the sub and the rear wall may help reduce the rumble.
Also do not place a rear ported sub too close to the corner of a room. This will encase the sub in the right angle formed at the corner creating a kind of vortex which will increase the rumble.

regards,
Raja

Thanx a lot for your reply. The sub-woofer is JAMO E-SUB 3 (75 watts)
Should I go for a sub of more wattage. My front speakers specs are not handy at the moment. I shall let you know in my next thread.
Thanks again and regards.

That is an entry level sub. May be good for music but certainly not for music. Don't expect these subs to do wonders.

You may want to upgrade to Polk Audio PSW125. An effective yet affordable sub.

Though your subwoofer is low power and not really suited to Home Theatre, you may be able to squeeze some clean bass out of it by optimizing the placement.

Room loading is a major factor in bass reproduction and if the subwoofer 'locks' into the room, you can get better and louder bass at a lower output

REL has a setup guide that could help. Download it from here:

http://www.sumikoaudio.net/rel/manuals/REL-SET-UP.doc

That is an entry level sub. May be good for music but certainly not for music. Don't expect these subs to do wonders.

You may want to upgrade to Polk Audio PSW125. An effective yet affordable sub.

Thanks pal for the attention. I think there was a slight mistake in typing - may be ' good for music but certainly not for movies' or is the other way round.

Also pl let me know whether the old classic movies, like 'gone with the wind', 'ben-hur', ' 10 comandments', dirty harry movies, and the likes are very weak on the audio part. Atleast I feel so. At times the vocals are very poor, and no amount of pumpling the volume get the results. What is it due to? Is it old recording technology, but the dvd cover displays '5.1 audio' and 'digitally remastered' phrases. Is it just an eye-wash.

Also in may of the orioginal indian dvd's I feel the dialogue level quiet low on my system. Is is the settings that I should re-do. Be in touch.
Thanks.

Thanks pal for the attention. I think there was a slight mistake in typing - may be ' good for music but certainly not for movies' or is the other way round.

Also pl let me know whether the old classic movies, like 'gone with the wind', 'ben-hur', ' 10 comandments', dirty harry movies, and the likes are very weak on the audio part. Atleast I feel so. At times the vocals are very poor, and no amount of pumpling the volume get the results. What is it due to? Is it old recording technology, but the dvd cover displays '5.1 audio' and 'digitally remastered' phrases. Is it just an eye-wash.

Also in may of the orioginal indian dvd's I feel the dialogue level quiet low on my system. Is is the settings that I should re-do. Be in touch.
Thanks.

You are right about the phrase - 'May be good for music but certainly not for music' should have been 'May be good for music but certainly not for movies'

Please let me know which DVD player you have and which speakers. Are the speaker all the same, or are they mix-n-match?

hi jayanth

The old movies are not in 5.1 format , even though it is said its digitally remastered , they are done only in stereo mode, and also most of the Indian DVDs are not able to produce the quality for which we are paying for.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back