Subwoofer connection using a Y cable

HTuser

Hi,

I came across the following thread and it says that connecting to both (left and right) input ports on a subwoofer will increase the bass output by 3db to 10db.

A Guide to Bass Management (Part I) - Blu-ray Forum

Extract from the above link
Most AV receivers come with a single sub output while most powered subwoofers come equipped with left & right inputs. By using a subwoofer Y cable for both the left and right subwoofer input, you can increase the bass output of your subwoofer by about 3dB.

Link to a Y cable product site: http://www.hdtvsupply.com/ycawi1jato2p.html

Is this true? anybody tried and found improvement

If there is a improvement I would like to try the same (presently i have connected subwoofer-out on my AVR to left in on the subwoofer).

I have two options

Option 1) I can buy a Y cable and connect the female end to end of the existing Cable and connect two male ends of Y cable to PB12-plus Left and right inputs

Option 2) I can buy one more RCA cable connect one end to second subwoofer output on my Onkyo 707 AVR and connect other end to RIGHT LINE IN on PB12-Plus
Note: Onkyo 707 has got two subwoofer (LFE) output ports and both ports output the same LFE sound.

Any suggestions

Last edited:
Hi!

If you want yo connect a second sub woofer ,then you can do so by connecting using a Y RCA connector. One end will go in the sub out of the receiver and the the other 2 ends will be connected to the respective subs.

Its always better to have both the subs of the same make and models.

Cheers
naj

I have only one subwoofer.

I would like to know whether we will get better output if we connect to both Left and Right LINE IN ports on the subwoofer using a Y cable.

Just to know if any forum members did it and found any difference.

I am planning to to do that and check, will share the result.

LFE Boost of +10dB by Onkyo 707

Hi,

I came across the following post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748147

'the encoded LFE signal needs a 10dB boost. In receivers with integrated decoders, this is handled automatically in the internals, and the user is generally unaware of it"

I would like to know, whether Onkyo 707 is adding the +10dB boost required for LFE channel before redirecting bass from other channels to SW output

SW = Raise10dB(LFE) + Redirected bass

In the menu I could find option to reduce LFE from 0dB (Default) to -10dB, -20dB and -infinitedB. But I couldn't find any option to set it as +10dB.

I just want to try manually boosting the LFE signal without boosting the redirected bass, is there any way to do it.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back