Subwoofer connection using a Y cable

HTuser

Hi,

I came across the following thread and it says that connecting to both (left and right) input ports on a subwoofer will increase the bass output by 3db to 10db.

A Guide to Bass Management (Part I) - Blu-ray Forum

Extract from the above link
Most AV receivers come with a single sub output while most powered subwoofers come equipped with left & right inputs. By using a subwoofer Y cable for both the left and right subwoofer input, you can increase the bass output of your subwoofer by about 3dB.

Link to a Y cable product site: http://www.hdtvsupply.com/ycawi1jato2p.html

Is this true? anybody tried and found improvement

If there is a improvement I would like to try the same (presently i have connected subwoofer-out on my AVR to left in on the subwoofer).

I have two options

Option 1) I can buy a Y cable and connect the female end to end of the existing Cable and connect two male ends of Y cable to PB12-plus Left and right inputs

Option 2) I can buy one more RCA cable connect one end to second subwoofer output on my Onkyo 707 AVR and connect other end to RIGHT LINE IN on PB12-Plus
Note: Onkyo 707 has got two subwoofer (LFE) output ports and both ports output the same LFE sound.

Any suggestions

Last edited:
Hi!

If you want yo connect a second sub woofer ,then you can do so by connecting using a Y RCA connector. One end will go in the sub out of the receiver and the the other 2 ends will be connected to the respective subs.

Its always better to have both the subs of the same make and models.

Cheers
naj

I have only one subwoofer.

I would like to know whether we will get better output if we connect to both Left and Right LINE IN ports on the subwoofer using a Y cable.

Just to know if any forum members did it and found any difference.

I am planning to to do that and check, will share the result.

LFE Boost of +10dB by Onkyo 707

Hi,

I came across the following post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748147

'the encoded LFE signal needs a 10dB boost. In receivers with integrated decoders, this is handled automatically in the internals, and the user is generally unaware of it"

I would like to know, whether Onkyo 707 is adding the +10dB boost required for LFE channel before redirecting bass from other channels to SW output

SW = Raise10dB(LFE) + Redirected bass

In the menu I could find option to reduce LFE from 0dB (Default) to -10dB, -20dB and -infinitedB. But I couldn't find any option to set it as +10dB.

I just want to try manually boosting the LFE signal without boosting the redirected bass, is there any way to do it.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back