Subwoofer crossover?

insane79

hi,
i just got a subwoofer for my HTS, its jamo sub250, i got jamo S606 7.1 package, behind the subwoofe there is a crossover setting:confused: dunno wat to leave the setting on, i got a yammy rxv661 reciever i set the crossover to 100hz in the setting ut now wat to set the subwoofer crossover to? i m confused, here are the info links for the speakers & sub -

speakers
S 60

sub
Subwoofer line

pls help:confused:

thanks byee..

Can you describe how the sub is connected to the system?

If the "subwoofer out" of the receiver is connected to the sub, then the crossover setting of the sub may not come in to the picture at all.

Hi,

If you have connected the the sub out from the AVR to the line-in of the sub then I'd say keep the crossover at full (i,e turn it full to max) and leave it reason the receiver is already configured to send the right frequency signal to the sub so meddling with crossover points in the sub with produce unwanted results !! So...

Regards.

thanks for the help guys,
in the reciever settings all the speakers crossover are set to 100mhz, u cant put different crossover for different speakers in the yammy rxv661, so in the yammy settings i set the crossover to 100 cuz i got bookshelf speakers for rear
info here -
S 60
just want to know wat to set the sub crossover too, so basically if i set the crossover to max(150hz) the sub will do more work then if i set it to 80hz?
i abit confused with the crossover thing, need help,

thanks again,
cheers...

Hi,

Sunil I think its on the AVR !

You can set it max (i,e 150Hz) as the sub's frequency response is 30-150 ! having said that I'd ask you to make sure that the placement is right as,At the max frequency the sub might sound boomy or unable to handle some effects (particularly in movies like explosion or similar sounds) if it does show these signs then change it 120 (usually recommended by DTS ) even at that it sounds boomy then no choice but 100 ( telling that keeping your current setting in mind)

Regards.

thanks soundgreat, i m thiking of changing my crossover settings in my yammy
to 80hz cuz in my rear bookshelfs frq response is 80-20,000, i wish i could adjust each speaker crossover seperately but i guess it cannot be done in my yammy:( these are my reciever settings now-
the reciever crossover is set to 80hz in the reciever settings,
my front speakers are set to large, center & surr on small, subwoofer crossover is set to 80hz, is this fine?? i do feel the base only kicking in
sometimes but my front towers have 8' woofers in them so the woofer
feels absent hmmn, good thing???

thanks..

Hi,

If you've set the main crossover as 80 then it need not be that you need to set the subwoofer as 80 aswell !! so set the sub to 150 as said earlier and see how it sounds !!

When you say sub only kicks in sometimes,Is it during the movies or music aswell ?? if its only during movies then its allright but if this the case with music aswell then something is wrong !! check the settings properly ! also can you please tell me,whats the setting in the AVR for bass ?? have you set the bass from sub only or both (front aswell as sub) ??

Regards.

i set the avr setting for bass to "BOTH" front & sub, the front speakers give nice base from its in built 8' woofers, the sub with its 80hz cutoff can only be heard in movies, like when deep bass kicks in it sounds very natural actually, if i increase the crossover cutoff freq of the sub to 150hz will this mean that the subwoofer will give bass all the time?

thanks...

Hi,

Not exactly but will certainly increase the range of operation !! so just give it a try and let me how it sounds !!

Alternatively if you want the sub to work all the time then change the setting in the AVR to sub only ! then it'll work almost always !

Regards.

a very interesting article i read here
Receiver and Subwoofer Crossover Setup
it says that if u use the sub out from the reciever to connect to ur sub u dont need the crossover settings to be adjusted, u have to max the crossover cut off seting in the sub to turn it off, will give it a try today ,
thanks...

a very interesting article i read here
Receiver and Subwoofer Crossover Setup
it says that if u use the sub out from the reciever to connect to ur sub u dont need the crossover settings to be adjusted, u have to max the crossover cut off seting in the sub to turn it off, will give it a try today ,
thanks...

This rule is generally suitable but tweaking may lead to better results as others suggested.

I have the same receiver as yours and this is the big drawback not being able to set independent cross over points. I plan on upgrading soon precisely for this setting rather than stuff like hdmi 1.3 etc.

satish

well i m going to change the crossover setting on the reciever to 80hz, i just read the manual again & its says BASS CROSSOVER:) i m going to set the croosover in the sub to full(shut off) & give it a shot, having the reciever crossover set to 80hz & the sub crossover set to 80-100hz just wil create extra circuit work which might produce strange results, thanks again guys, amazing feedback i get from this forum :cool:

thanks..

Last edited:
Hi,

Not exactly but will certainly increase the range of operation !! so just give it a try and let me how it sounds !!

Alternatively if you want the sub to work all the time then change the setting in the AVR to sub only ! then it'll work almost always !

Regards.

soundgreat my rear speakers have a freq rating of 80-20,000, u think its safe to put the crossover settings in my reciever to 80hz? pls tell me wat u think,
thanks alot
byee..

Set the cross over setting to 100hz (just for an extra punch otherwise 80hz which is ideal), set front speakers to small. That should give you the best setting for *movies*.

soundgreat my rear speakers have a freq rating of 80-20,000, u think its safe to put the crossover settings in my reciever to 80hz? pls tell me wat u think,
thanks alot
byee..

Set the cross over setting to 100hz (just for an extra punch otherwise 80hz which is ideal), set front speakers to small. That should give you the best setting for *movies*.

seting the crossover to 100hz will give an extra punch? didnt understand that :(
thanks..

thanks for the help, will try it on crossover setting 80hz today & see the difference :D

ok guys i did experiment with the crossover setting in my reciever, i tried different crossover settings to see wat it does actually, i tried 80,100,120,160,200 & found 80 the best, well the music sounder better, now tell me one thing by trying a crossover of 200hz on my system did i risk the chance of damaging my speakers? just getting paanoid now since i feel i might have damaged my speakers by trying a 200hz crossover, i m abit nervous now:eek: help??

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back