Subwoofer for my untreated living room for both HT & Music

Hmm.. Wasn't aware that the balcony door is at the dead center of you room.. Then, i guess only choice is to put the TV + speaker on the opposite wall and shift your listening position a few feet from the balcony door..
Yup. Shifting the listening position is the only option which will be slightly off center. If this will improve the sound then I can try this option as well. It will avoid the early reflection from side wall which I am facing right now.

Also, I was wondering whether I would be sitting very close if I move the setup. Plus there will be a wall behind my sofa.

Yup. Shifting the listening position is the only option which will be slightly off center. If this will improve the sound then I can try this option as well. It will avoid the early reflection from side wall which I am facing right now.

Try swapping it and check how it is..

Also, I was wondering whether I would be sitting very close if I move the setup. Plus there will be a wall behind my sofa.

Approx 7 ~ 8 feet, which i think is fine..

Thanks for your insight Prateek. I will surely consider that.
Any suggestion for power amp at this price if I take this route?
I bought crown amp XLS 1502 which is available for around 25k at present.
Forum member tuff also has the same amp. Such amplifiers provide power even at 2 ohms. Many might tell you that this is a professional amp not meant for home use. But I would ask them if they have tried and tested it. U can check qsc power amps DCA series which is used in cinema applications. That will cost around 50k for a 2 channel. These hav really good specs which is found in much higher price home use amps.

Have checked your speakers specs.
They need a 200 Watts amp. The qsc DCA 1622 will nicely fit for your system. This can provide power even at 2 ohms.

I bought crown amp XLS 1502 which is available for around 25k at present.
Forum member tuff also has the same amp. Such amplifiers provide power even at 2 ohms. Many might tell you that this is a professional amp not meant for home use. But I would ask them if they have tried and tested it. U can check qsc power amps DCA series which is used in cinema applications. That will cost around 50k for a 2 channel. These hav really good specs which is found in much higher price home use amps.

Have checked your speakers specs.
They need a 200 Watts amp. The qsc DCA 1622 will nicely fit for your system. This can provide power even at 2 ohms.

Thanks for taking time to check my speaker specs and giving suggestion on the power amp.
I have no clue about these power amps since I'm new to all this. Just curious to know what is the difference between the professional and home use amps?
Why the cost difference is so huge ?

Thanks for taking time to check my speaker specs and giving suggestion on the power amp.
I have no clue about these power amps since I'm new to all this. Just curious to know what is the difference between the professional and home use amps?
Why the cost difference is so huge ?
Checked anthem mca225 . Costs around 2 lakhs in India. Qsc DCA 1222 costs around 50k.
Looks and brand value is the most significant difference.
Specs
Power ratings are VERY similar.
The signal to noise ratio difference is - anthem 120 db ,qsc 107db.
Anthem has MARGINALLY lesser distortion levels.
You should compare the specs yourself to know the exact difference.
Qsc has 30hz cut off filter which will be helpful in preventing damage to your speakers when played at high volumes.
I know one should not just go by the specs but this is the only option I have for this query.

But getting good bass(good sound also) from a good power amp is tried and tested. So can tell this with confidence. Once you play your speakers with a good amp you will be shocked to see the difference.

Your amp is rated at 170w @4 ohms single channel driven. Class D amps.
As you have 2 channels you need a amp providing 200w at 4 ohms.
Both the above mentioned amps (anthem and qsc) are class AB
And anthem power ratings are(for 2 channel )
8ohms 200w
4 ohms 400w
2 ohms 600w

This amp is not a overkill but a requirement for your speakers.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Checked anthem mca225 . Costs around 2 lakhs in India. Qsc DCA 1222 costs around 50k.
Looks and brand value is the most significant difference.
Specs
Power ratings are VERY similar.
The signal to noise ratio difference is - anthem 120 db ,qsc 107db.
Anthem has MARGINALLY lesser distortion levels.
You should compare the specs yourself to know the exact difference.
Qsc has 30hz cut off filter which will be helpful in preventing damage to your speakers when played at high volumes.
I know one should not just go by the specs but this is the only option I have for this query.

But getting good bass(good sound also) from a good power amp is tried and tested. So can tell this with confidence. Once you play your speakers with a good amp you will be shocked to see the difference.

Your amp is rated at 170w @4 ohms single channel driven. Class D amps.
As you have 2 channels you need a amp providing 200w at 4 ohms.
Both the above mentioned amps (anthem and qsc) are class AB
And anthem power ratings are(for 2 channel )
8ohms 200w
4 ohms 400w
2 ohms 600w

This amp is not a overkill but a requirement for your speakers.

Hope this helps.
Woah !!!
That's a lot of information to grasp.. Very detailed one..
Let me.dig into it.
Cheers,
Dinesh

Thank you guys for your suggestions..
Many FMs have suggested that my speakers don't need a sub and advised me not to buy it.
Also, since my living room is not treated it won't give the effect I'm looking for it seems.
So, I have put on hold the decision to purchase a sub.
Instead I was suggested to check my placements, settings and acoustics..

Thank you guys for your suggestions..
Many FMs have suggested that my speakers don't need a sub and advised me not to buy it.
Also, since my living room is not treated it won't give the effect I'm looking for it seems.
So, I have put on hold the decision to purchase a sub.
Instead I was suggested to check my placements, settings and acoustics..

Hi

We have one of our members (Celester340) who has the same speakers you have. He had this hooked to a Yamaha Aventage AVR (1070) and it was playing fine....he decided to hook a power amp (Emotiva BassX A-300) through pre outs to feed the Tannoys....there was a huge difference.....the speakers delivered what it is supposed to deliver!

There are many members in Chennai, see if you can borrow a power amp and hook up to check if it makes a difference as each of us have a different hearing preference etc. If it does, then get a power amp within your budget and requirements.

You can add a sub if really required later.

Hi

We have one of our members (Celester340) who has the same speakers you have. He had this hooked to a Yamaha Aventage AVR (1070) and it was playing fine....he decided to hook a power amp (Emotiva BassX A-300) through pre outs to feed the Tannoys....there was a huge difference.....the speakers delivered what it is supposed to deliver!

There are many members in Chennai, see if you can borrow a power amp and hook up to check if it makes a difference as each of us have a different hearing preference etc. If it does, then get a power amp within your budget and requirements.

You can add a sub if really required later.

Hi efernand1,

I know Celester. Based on his recommendation only, I got these speakers ;)
As you and many have suggested, I'm gonna try with power amp by borrowing from one of our members and then decide. :cool:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back