Subwoofer for my untreated living room for both HT & Music

hpdinesh

Hello FMs,

I am considering to buy a subwoofer for my untreated living room which will be used for all purpose (HT/Music/streaming).
I don't have a dedicated setup for stereo and HT. It's a all in one :D

Room dimension: 10ft (W) * 20ft (L) * 10ft (H). At one end, there is a walkway to another room and the other end have opening to Kitchen. (Pics attached)
For now I have only 2 front towers - Tannoy Revolution XT8F which is paired with Yamaha Aventage RX-A1070.

Budget: around 75k ( can stretch a bit )

Should I go for sealed sub or ported ? since it will be used for both stereo and HT.

Brands so far suggested by my friends for audition: SVS, Rythmik, MJ Acoustics, BIC, Velodyne.

I am open to any brands which are easily available. Please let me know the specific models/brands which I need to audition for my usage.;)
Screenshot_20180830-112229-01.jpeglScreenshot_20180830-112132-01.jpeg

Screenshot_20180830-112201-02.jpeg

Last edited:
You will need a 12 inch sub......sealed or ported needs to be decided.....

Velodyne, SVS, BIC America, Wharfedale, Definitive Tech, REL, Rythmik are brands to consider....

Minimum subwoofer size would be a 12 inch for sure...given the length of the room.....

You should audition and see which one fits your expectation in terms of performance, budget, appearance etc.....

Audition BIC America PL 200 ii or check SVS subs...SB or PB series...

You will need a 12 inch sub......sealed or ported needs to be decided.....

Velodyne, SVS, BIC America, Wharfedale, Definitive Tech, REL, Rythmik are brands to consider....

Minimum subwoofer size would be a 12 inch for sure...given the length of the room.....

You should audition and see which one fits your expectation in terms of performance, budget, appearance etc.....

Audition BIC America PL 200 ii or check SVS subs...SB or PB series...

OK efernand1.. 12 inch it is then :p
That's so many brands to consider.. Will make a list.

I am considering to buy a subwoofer for my untreated living room which will be used for all purpose

Treatment for sub-woofer freq between 20 - 80hz, will be difficult to accomodate in a living room, as it would be several feet thick.. At best you can attempt minimising the room modes in 20 - 80hz freq by placing them in ideal room locations.. Two subwoofers would be better in your room..

Room dimension: 10ft (W) * 20ft (L) * 10ft (H). At one end, there is a walkway to another room and the other end have opening to Kitchen. (Pics attached)
For now I have only 2 front towers - Tannoy Revolution XT8F which is paired with Yamaha Aventage RX-A1070.

If there is a possbility to shift it to the 20feet wide side (either side of balcony way) then you can have dual subs at ideal locations from either sides of the room..

Treatment for sub-woofer freq between 20 - 80hz, will be difficult to accomodate in a living room, as it would be several feet thick.. At best you can attempt minimising the room modes in 20 - 80hz freq by placing them in ideal room locations.. Two subwoofers would be better in your room..
Yes Elango. You are right. Two subwoofers would be better but as per current placement, keeping 2 sub would be difficult. Also, the budget would shoot up I guess.

If there is a possbility to shift it to the 20feet wide side (either side of balcony way) then you can have dual subs at ideal locations from either sides of the room..
I thought of this already. Only issue with this placement would be the balcony opening in the hall. My Sofa would be blocking the balcony door if I keep my sofa at the center facing the TV. Either I need to keep my TV and speakers to the extreme left or extreme right which is not ideal :(

I thought of this already. Only issue with this placement would be the balcony opening in the hall. My Sofa would be blocking the balcony door if I keep my sofa at the center facing the TV. Either I need to keep my TV and speakers to the extreme left or extreme right which is not ideal :(

You can keep one FS on one side of the balcony door & the other FS + AVR to the other side of the door and shift your listening position to the opposite side of the balcony door..

Yes Elango. You are right. Two subwoofers would be better but as per current placement, keeping 2 sub would be difficult. Also, the budget would shoot up I guess.

This will depend on if you can swap your sides.. If it is feasible, then you can add 2 subs..

You can keep one FS on one side of the balcony door & the other FS + AVR to the other side of the door and shift your listening position to the opposite side of the balcony door..

Where would I keep the TV then ?:p The issue with Balcony door is, it is at the dead center of the hall. Also, no wiring or plug point at this side.
I'm still waiting for your visit to my home and check yourself and suggest ;)

Hello FMs,

I am considering to buy a subwoofer for my untreated living room which will be used for all purpose (HT/Music/streaming).
I don't have a dedicated setup for stereo and HT. It's a all in one :D

Budget: around 75k ( can stretch a bit )

Should I go for sealed sub or ported ? since it will be used for both stereo and HT.

Brands so far suggested by my friends for audition: SVS, Rythmik, MJ Acoustics, BIC, Velodyne.

I am open to any brands which are easily available. Please let me know the specific models/brands which I need to audition for my usage.;)
View attachment 29836lView attachment 29837

View attachment 29838
Borrow a power amp in that budget.. connect to your speakers and play.. check the bass and then decide whether you want a sub or a good amp.
These speakers will provide pretty good bass if connected with a decent amp.

Borrow a power amp in that budget.. connect to your speakers and play.. check the bass and then decide whether you want a sub or a good amp.
These speakers will provide pretty good bass if connected with a decent amp.
I didnt think about that. Will check with other members in Chennai to borrow one.
I thought my AVR had enough power for these speakers since I have only these 2 speakers. Nothing else.

Thats good to know Prateek. I didnt read the specifications of Q acoustics..
Any other suggestions ?
Don't buy a sub unless you unleash the true potential of your speakers.
My genelec 8040b rated at -6db at 41hz play as if a subwoofer is playing along with the speakers.
Your speakers are rated at 34hz -6db. Imagine the bass you would get when connected to a amp which can provide enough power at 4 ohms. Then you will see the difference. I have tried this with my 10 years old jamo floor standers. And the bass out of it was surprisingly good for a 30k speaker pair.

I didnt think about that. Will check with other members in Chennai to borrow one.
I thought my AVR had enough power for these speakers since I have only these 2 speakers. Nothing else.
Power should be enough at lower impedance which is not the case with you avr.
Use its preouts to connect to a power amp.
You will get improved sound quality/clarity along with the bass for which the speakers were designed. Using a sub will kill the purpose for buying xt8f. You could have bought 6f instead.

In short feed it with the kind of amplification it deserves.. your speakers will act as 2 subwoofers. If you aren't satisfied with this then consider a subwoofer.

Thank me later ;p

Last edited:
Power should be enough at lower impedance which is not the case with you avr.
Use its preouts to connect to a power amp.
You will get improved sound quality/clarity along with the bass for which the speakers were designed. Using a sub will kill the purpose for buying xt8f. You could have bought 6f instead.

In short feed it with the kind of amplification it deserves.. your speakers will act as 2 subwoofers. If you aren't satisfied with this then consider a subwoofer.

Thank me later ;p
Thanks for your insight Prateek. I will surely consider that.
Any suggestion for power amp at this price if I take this route?

Where would I keep the TV then ?:p The issue with Balcony door is, it is at the dead center of the hall. Also, no wiring or plug point at this side.

Hmm.. Wasn't aware that the balcony door is at the dead center of you room.. Then, i guess only choice is to put the TV + speaker on the opposite wall and shift your listening position a few feet from the balcony door..

I'm still waiting for your visit to my home and check yourself and suggest ;)

Just started making baby steps towards bass.. Sure.. Will drop in one day..

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back