Subwoofer going nuts at times!

ypan07

Hi, I have a Dali E9F subwoofer in my 5.1 HT setup. Mostly satisfied with its performance but sometimes, at not so loud volumes, I see it going nuts with the cone visibly vibrating vigorously and sound clearly distorted in some movie scenes. What could be the issue here? It is being driven by Denon x1500h AVR and I used Audessey to calibrate. Do I need to manually set its level even lower or am I just playing it too loud (even though other speakers don't sound as loud)? How should I fix it? Please advice. Thanks in advance!

It means that the LFE channel has frequencies that the sub cannot voice.
Only the cone moves.
Check if you can use PEQ in the AVR to lower the extreme LF range.
Cheers,
Raghu

It means that the LFE channel has frequencies that the sub cannot voice.
Only the cone moves.
Check if you can use PEQ in the AVR to lower the extreme LF range.
Cheers,
Raghu
Just like Ragu said subs will sound distorted and muddy at low frequencies they can’t handle.

Hi, I have a Dali E9F subwoofer in my 5.1 HT setup. Mostly satisfied with its performance but sometimes, at not so loud volumes, I see it going nuts with the cone visibly vibrating vigorously and sound clearly distorted in some movie scenes. What could be the issue here? It is being driven by Denon x1500h AVR and I used Audessey to calibrate. Do I need to manually set its level even lower or am I just playing it too loud (even though other speakers don't sound as loud)? How should I fix it? Please advice. Thanks in advance!

Audyssey does setups at conservative levels....if you refer to YouTube videos from many such as Audioholics.....sometimes the sub crossover is set too high too......trying playing with this setting...most keep at 80hz...play around with the settings to 90 or 100 and see if there is any difference...use the same playback media or source where you face the challenge.....

Thanks guys for the responses but sorry, its not clear to me: is too high a frequency causing Sub to misbehave or too low? My Denon is currently set to LFE+Main and crossover for Main is default 80Hz (since I have L/R towers set as big). There is another setting called LPF for LFE and that defaults to 120Hz. I don't know what does it do. Now, which setting should I change? Move up the 80Hz? Sub spec say the following:

Crossover Frequency (Hz) 40 - 120
Freq Response (Hz) 37 - 200

Sub performs between 37 to 200 hz

The CrossOver frequency 40 to 120 is adjustable and mainly used when connecting with High Level speaker input (used for stereo amp hooking if no dedicated sub port)...that is to adjust LPF for LFE.....does not work if you have hooked the sub through sub out port

Get LPF for LFE to 90hz on the AVR and try....like that play around with the settings.

If the mains are good speakers and can perform much lower than 80hz then adjust that too!

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back