Subwoofer help required

cmsajith

Tried to search the forum and could not find a satisfactory answer. So i am posting a new thread.

I am looking for upgrading my subwoofer that works well with both Movies n Music (Deep and tight / "Heart beat feeling" bass (donno how to express.., good and deep bass without any boominess at good volumes) for movies and tight and controlled bass for music (in stereo mode using Norge 1000). A little more preference can be given for movies, may be 60% and 40% for music. Budget : 20 - 25K. Going to pair with Onkyo HTR-320. Current sub is an Onkyo 8" 100W Active subwoofer. Speakers L/R (FS : TWR 6) from Space Audio. The spec says the FS can handle from 30Hz-20KHz / x-over freq is 2700Hz / 89db sensitivity (url of similar FS TWR-6X : http://www.spaceaudioinc.com/prod6.htm). Room size is 1580cu.ft and there is an open passage at one corner of the room to dining room n kitchen. Please suggest the options that i have and the price and availability in bangalore. Also the woofersize more than 10inch are preferred (please comment).

Last edited:
Hi,
In the price range specified consider the POLK Audio DSW-Pro 600:licklips: or the Pro-500.Both are very good for music as well as Movies.The Pro-600 is a 12 incher and the 500 is a 10". You have an option to place it as a Down firing or Front firing ,depending upon listening tastes. Audition it at Profx.
All the best,
Samuel

Yes, Samuel. I am aiming at Polk Pro 600, available at ProFX for 27K (can somebody help me in further negotiation? any contacts?). I am trying to find a better one than this in the same league / price range (20-25K range is most preferred). Also all the reviews says that they are better for movies than music (some are switching off the sub for music)

Last edited:
Yes, Samuel. I am aiming at Polk Pro 600, available at ProFX for 27K (can somebody help me in further negotiation? any contacts?). I am trying to find a better one than this in the same league / price range (20-25K range is most preferred). Also all the reviews says that they are better for movies than music (some are switching off the sub for music)

So what do you plan to do with the onkyo subwoofer?:p

If you want a sub that is more tuned towards movies than music then it is going to be a walk in the park most of the way. Most subs in the below 30 K price range do well in movies. Some can even bring some room shaking effects to the party.

It is for music that there are very few subs. Very few subs do the job and yet dont call attention to themselves - which is what at least I would want from a subwoofer.

The Polk DSW subwoofer is a good bet. The Wharfedale SW150 and Mordaunt Short 309i also are competent subwoofers if not absolute monsters. Do listen to all of these before deciding.

Hi anm,
I feel it'll be the Polk in my opinion.They have a very good rep in the Pro-Car Audio segment especially the MoMo and the "db series" subwoofer.
And tuners vouch for their SQ and SPL setup.For the price they are very good.

I've not heard the Wharfe so can't comment on it.
But if the budget is slightly above 30k then it'll be the Klipsch for me.:D
oops im gonna get stoned for this:D:lol:

Cheers,
Sam

Thanks for your suggestions. So what you all mean to say is that going for DSW PRO 600 is a snake oil? Which one is the best for movies and music in 20-25K range or 27K max?

Thanks for your suggestions. So what you all mean to say is that going for DSW PRO 600 is a snake oil? Which one is the best for movies and music in 20-25K range or 27K max?

Yesterday I came to know that Valodyne entry level sub available for 26k,good for mov & music.

I am Using DSW Pro600 with my Polk Rti A Series speakers and its an upgrade from Wharfedale Sw150. I am quite pleased with the sound quality of my Polk Sub. It performs great with movies and performs well with music too. Its a substancial upgrade. Also its very difficult to find the same kind of hardware for this kind of money (I meant 25-27K range). If you like polk then I would say go for it.

so which one is recommended for music?

The MS 309i I feel would be more at home with music. The Polk (especially the DSW Pro series) though should hands down best it in terms of sheer visceral impact in movies.

Whatever the OP does, he should do better than the Polk PSW series - as they are simply incapable of getting any kind of nuance as far as music is concerned. They are big, they are loud but there is very little clarity - which is important for music.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back