Subwoofer sealed or ported

Chintupatel

Hi
I had a Polk audio sub , focal and now I have paradigm subwoofer for my home theater. I just want to ask are sealed sub better than ported sub or ported sub are better than sealed sub I want to buy a sealed sub but without knowing anything about it I can't buy it so plz help me out with this problem
Thanks in advance:)

Hi
I had a Polk audio sub , focal and now I have paradigm subwoofer for my home theater. I just want to ask are sealed sub better than ported sub or ported sub are better than sealed sub I want to buy a sealed sub but without knowing anything about it I can't buy it so plz help me out with this problem
Thanks in advance:)

Recently I purchased HT with SVS PB1000 ported subwoofer... when i went to audition of it, SVS SB2000 was also available for audition which is a sealed sub... SVS PB 1000 has 10" driver in comparison SVS SB2000 has 12" driver... but when it comes to bass... SVS PB1000 is a winner... the bass is rich, deep and shaking the walls...

Sealed sub:
1. Are relatively expensive
2. Need more power to reach same output as that of ported
3. Benefit tighter bass, that suits music

Ported Sub:
1. Relatively less expensive
2. Can do well even with 100 W rms in a mid size room (ex: 12 X 16 ft.)
3. Excellent for movies, however a 10" Sub will do good with Music too (even w/ 100-150 watts rms),
12" would need more power and price would increase. Still 10" with (say) 150 to 200-W rms is a ideal choice for music.
smaller diaphragm moves faster and better.

Choices for sealed sub are relatively less. As someone said audition and decide.

Last edited:
Recently I purchased HT with SVS PB1000 ported subwoofer... when i went to audition of it, SVS SB2000 was also available for audition which is a sealed sub... SVS PB 1000 has 10" driver in comparison SVS SB2000 has 12" driver... but when it comes to bass... SVS PB1000 is a winner... the bass is rich, deep and shaking the walls...

Yes, SVS PB1000 is suitable for movies... But SVS SB1000 is designed for music (12 inch woofer). Sealed sub woofer produce lesser bass, but you can feel tight (not boom) and these type of bass is more suitable for music....

A sealed sub would give you tighter bass it will have less low frequency effect as compared to a ported sub.

Sealed sub will have less of what maybe we can call as groove. Suppose when a truck passes by in a movie it will feel more real in a ported sub. The "Grrrrrrrr" sound is more in the ported sub. You can call is as extended low frequency sound is more in a ported sub.

Hope the reply is understandable to some extent.

i am using sealed sub sunfire true sub mk2.it is best for my music taste, very tight and no boom.
for my taste i always prefer sealed sub.

Simple Equation
A) You love tight theatre like bass get the Sealed Enclosure Powerful sub.
B) If you love more deep frequencies get the ported one.

ACCURACY - sealed
AMPLITUDE (LOUDNESS)- ported

for the sealed unit to produce the same amount of loudness you need massive amounts of amplifier power not to mention the volume of the cabinet.

I have one question here " can we use the sealed one for movies but how much % it's equal to ported one if we compare?

No one can can X% of Sealed sub = Y% of ported sub.
It is also a false notion that ported subs dig deep. In reality, Ported subs tend to drop much steeply below the PORT TUNING FREQUENCY.
And Sealed subs also benefit from room gain.
In general, The ported subs commonly have much output around its port tuning frequency, But sealed subs will have higher output above and below the port tuning frequency.

Chitnupatel

After all the divergent opinions expressed on this thread, which one did you finally buy and how do you like it? Feedback appreciated.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back