Subwoofer settings

Aldrin

Screenshot_2018-10-01-19-37-19-043_com.miui.gallery.pngScreenshot_2018-10-01-19-37-19-043_com.miui.gallery.png
I have this forte plate amp and jvc 12 inch subwoofer. What filter cutoff value and equilizer value i should keep to get good performance and sweet sound in subwoofer. I have attached the image for reference.
Suggestions are welcome.
Thanks you

What speakers are you using? and how is everything connected? Via sub woofer out on the AVR or via speaker input level means amp--> sub-->speakers?
You need to look at how low your speakers go. Typically most speakers can go as low as 80hz down to 35hz. So in a typical scenario you want to adjust the filter cut off button to that freq. EQ , i am guessing is roll of on either sides as most speakers do not cut off sharp at whatever low frequency they are rated at. Volume is well, depending on how loud you want the bass to be. An ideal connection is where the sub-woofer disappears and the music seems to flow only from the front speakers.Above 80hz the risk of localizing the sound coming from the subwoofer gets more evident. You will have to do some trial and error to get the settings right, where there is no gap in the crossover from main speakers to the sub.

What speakers are you using? and how is everything connected? Via sub woofer out on the AVR or via speaker input level means amp--> sub-->speakers?
You need to look at how low your speakers go. Typically most speakers can go as low as 80hz down to 35hz. So in a typical scenario you want to adjust the filter cut off button to that freq. EQ , i am guessing is roll of on either sides as most speakers do not cut off sharp at whatever low frequency they are rated at. Volume is well, depending on how loud you want the bass to be. An ideal connection is where the sub-woofer disappears and the music seems to flow only from the front speakers.Above 80hz the risk of localizing the sound coming from the subwoofer gets more evident. You will have to do some trial and error to get the settings right, where there is no gap in the crossover from main speakers to the sub.
I am using sony book shelfs for front L&R.
My connection is a sub woofer pre out from my avr which goes in to the subwoofer plate amps low level input. So now did u got an idea ? Frequency how much i should keep , its from -12 to+12db and filter cut off its from 60hz to 150hz.
Thank you for your input.

Do you know which Sony speakers model number etc? Is there a manual or something that we could look at? If you are using the subwoofer out on the AVR, it means the receiver is doing the crossover work. I would recommend setting the subwoofer crossover (on the plate) to full 150hz. Info on which avr would also be helpful as some have room correction software, that takes measurements and sets the right crossover frequencies. Also for optimum setup, doing a subwoofer crawl is necessary. Look at

hey hi,

Perfectly explained by @tuff . Yes let the receiver do the bass management. Run the Auto setup if it has one. Set all speakers to Small and crossed at 90(Should work for most Sony Hifi speakers). The Sub would be given all frequencies below 90Hz. On the Sub set that cross over knob to its Max value. Regarding the Sub Gain, adjust the Sub Volume in such a way that the receiver during its Auto Setup sets the Sub in the -6db to -3db range. You can experiment further to try to reduce the sub gain in receiver further while increasing the volume in the Sub.

MaSh

hey hi,

Perfectly explained by @tuff . Yes let the receiver do the bass management. Run the Auto setup if it has one. Set all speakers to Small and crossed at 90(Should work for most Sony Hifi speakers). The Sub would be given all frequencies below 90Hz. On the Sub set that cross over knob to its Max value. Regarding the Sub Gain, adjust the Sub Volume in such a way that the receiver during its Auto Setup sets the Sub in the -6db to -3db range. You can experiment further to try to reduce the sub gain in receiver further while increasing the volume in the Sub.

MaSh
Thank you Mash
I ll try and update

Do you know which Sony speakers model number etc? Is there a manual or something that we could look at? If you are using the subwoofer out on the AVR, it means the receiver is doing the crossover work. I would recommend setting the subwoofer crossover (on the plate) to full 150hz. Info on which avr would also be helpful as some have room correction software, that takes measurements and sets the right crossover frequencies. Also for optimum setup, doing a subwoofer crawl is necessary. Look at
Thank you so much for the usefull input .
Can see hell a lot of difference when i change my speaker settings to small and subwoofer crossovee to 150hz.
Your tip was verywell utilized.. Thank you so much:):)

hey hi,

MaSh
Tested Mash, can see so much difference in subwoofer bass. Thank you so much for the input.

hey hi,

MaSh
If u see my plate amp, theres an equilizer knob, ranging from -12 to +12db. Do you have any idea regarding that?
Like what value i can keep in that.

If u see my plate amp, theres an equilizer knob, ranging from -12 to +12db. Do you have any idea regarding that?
Like what value i can keep in that.

Hmm I would assume that could be a Parametric EQ. Run your Receiver Auto Setup with that knob at Center 0db. Once done, you can move it back and forth to EQ the Bass further.

MaSh

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back