Subwoofer suggestions please for 40k to 45k

siva283

Hi All,

I have almost completed my HT. Thanks a lot for this forum which had always kept me inspiring to get a HT.

Now the only confusion remaining is what subwoofer. Could you please help me buy a good subwoofer? I have already created a thread for speaker suggestions. Creating a separate one here for subwoofer as the title would be appropriate.

I have ordered Monitor Audio MR6 and center as LCR for my Pioneer VSX1123 receiver. Will be getting in a week. Already have JBL ES30 as surrounds. My room size is 16X17.

I have a budget of 40 to 45k max. I prefer a good balance of tight, room filling and boomy bass. On reading online reviews SVS PB1000 and Velodyne EQMAX 10 seems to be the options available.

I was very much attracted by the SVS specs. But what I hear from many dealers here is SVS have lot of failure complaints and quality issues. Want to go with the tried and tested route.

I cannot get a demo of both velodyne/SVS here in my hometown. So could you guys suggest me the best choice? I am also open to other good options available.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am pretty happy with the Velodyne Eq Max 10 (for a room size of 11/16). Specs might say, it does not go very low, but has a deep puch. Its in the same budget as you are expecting. Not heard SVS, so cannot compare.

Happy Bassing!!

I am pretty happy with the Velodyne Eq Max 10 (for a room size of 11/16). Specs might say, it does not go very low, but has a deep puch. Its in the same budget as you are expecting. Not heard SVS, so cannot compare.

Happy Bassing!!

Thanks kishan!

Have you auditioned Impact 12? how does Eqmax 10 compare to Impact 12. Is it worth spending extra 10 or 12k for Eqmax? or Impact 12 would do for my setup

I was very much attracted by the SVS specs. But what I hear from many dealers here is SVS have lot of failure complaints and quality issues. Want to go with the tried and tested route.

!

I don't think this is true ... I think the failure rate for SVS is pretty low. Sometimes dealers try to push products they stock or products where they have higher margins .

SVS has a pretty solid reputation AFAIK

I am sure other FMs can chip in on this .

I don't think this is true ... I think the failure rate for SVS is pretty low. Sometimes dealers try to push products they stock or products where they have higher margins .

SVS has a pretty solid reputation AFAIK

I am sure other FMs can chip in on this .

I heard about SVS from its ex sole distributor in India. They said they have discontinued selling SVS anymore owing to quality issues. I also heard from another dealer that SVS has lot of failure complaints.

So I think it is better to look for other available options.

Go for two Wharfedale Diamond subs instead of one expensive sub. Placement will be easier and you'll get better bass response than with a single sub.

I heard about SVS from its ex sole distributor in India. They said they have discontinued selling SVS anymore owing to quality issues. I also heard from another dealer that SVS has lot of failure complaints.

must have heard this from Audire, I believe. Don't know about the SVS subs personally, but generally when a dealer changes his product lineup, they eventually end up trying to convince you. I guess they are into high end only, now.

I like what Shivam had proposed, 2 X SWF150 would be a treat if your budget could allow. Its a good sub, I had them earlier.

must have heard this from Audire, I believe. Don't know about the SVS subs personally, but generally when a dealer changes his product lineup, they eventually end up trying to convince you. I guess they are into high end only, now.

I like what Shivam had proposed, 2 X SWF150 would be a treat if your budget could allow. Its a good sub, I had them earlier.

Did audition Impact 12, but not sure if it was not properly set up, it did not have any impact :) Even otherwise though, I had a higher budget than Impact 12 and hence settled on EQ Max 10. Others to consider in a little higher range is Sunfire which are good too.

I am using impact 12 and happy with it, I could see huge improvement in ht sound after adding sub..it depends on proper crossover and volume settings. Currently I am using with tannoy floor standers in stereo set up, sounds fantastic.

would velodyne impact 12 or eqmax 10 match with Monitor audio speakers? I am getting MA Bronze series sub for 47k.. which is the best choice?

Thanks!

I have had 3 svs subs in the past 12 years (approx.). This statement is absolutely untrue. In fact IMO SVS is one of the best subwoofing company period. This seems like dealer sour grapes to me. Their service (SVS) is absolutely impeccable - just e-mail them (in US) and they will respond in 12 hours - Dealers here won't even respond in 12 days (in fact some of them don't know how to use e-mail in this day and age). This started off as an internet direct company (and I guess it is still so) and to survive they have to offer the best products and service (so many others now axiom etc.). So take what you hear from Indian dealers with a pinch of salt. In fact I am planning a second sub from them soon.
Cheers,
Sid

I have had 3 svs subs in the past 12 years (approx.). This statement is absolutely untrue. In fact IMO SVS is one of the best subwoofing company period. This seems like dealer sour grapes to me. Their service (SVS) is absolutely impeccable - just e-mail them (in US) and they will respond in 12 hours - Dealers here won't even respond in 12 days (in fact some of them don't know how to use e-mail in this day and age). This started off as an internet direct company (and I guess it is still so) and to survive they have to offer the best products and service (so many others now axiom etc.). So take what you hear from Indian dealers with a pinch of salt. In fact I am planning a second sub from them soon.
Cheers,
Sid

does SVS match well with Monitor Audio speakers? Velodyne or SVS which matches well with MA? Dealers say MA are musical speakers and hard woofers like sunfire do not match.

Please advice

Last edited:
does SVS match well with Monitor Audio speakers? Velodyne or SVS which matches well with MA? Dealers say MA are musical speakers and hard woofers like sunfire do not match.

Please advice

Again to be perfectly honest I do not understand this statement. What is a hard woofer? as opposed to what, a soft woofer? Sub woofers come in 2 flavors (amongst many other - but this is an important distinction) - ported and sealed. Generally the sealed sound good with music and ported with movies but there are exceptions to this. However with SVS if you want a sub to work well with music I would recommend their sealed subs. In fact I prefer the sealed for movies also, because the quality of bass is very accurate, subtle and not overblown, i.e; it is there only when you need it and in-fact in movies this can be quite desirable like sudden explosions etc. where the effect is quite startling. My recommendation is google the subs you are interested in and read about them not only in professional reviews but also in various user forums and try to understand what the users are saying. Believe me this will get you closest to what the sub will sound like rather than some dealers opinion which will always be biased anyways.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Again to be perfectly honest I do not understand this statement. What is a hard woofer? as opposed to what, a soft woofer? Sub woofers come in 2 flavors (amongst many other - but this is an important distinction) - ported and sealed. Generally the sealed sound good with music and ported with movies but there are exceptions to this. However with SVS if you want a sub to work well with music I would recommend their sealed subs. In fact I prefer the sealed for movies also, because the quality of bass is very accurate, subtle and not overblown, i.e; it is there only when you need it and in-fact in movies this can be quite desirable like sudden explosions etc. where the effect is quite startling. My recommendation is google the subs you are interested in and read about them not only in professional reviews but also in various user forums and try to understand what the users are saying. Believe me this will get you closest to what the sub will sound like rather than some dealers opinion which will always be biased anyways.
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks, Sid!

Yes, I did read a lot of Online reviews over a week or 2.

I do not see much negative reviews for SVS and Velodyne. So I was leaning towards these 2. There is no direct dealer for these 2 subs in my hometown. So I cant audition these. And also worried about shipping it for any failures if bought online.

I am going to use it with my Pioneer receiver. My preference is 50% music and 50% movies. So which one of these suits me best?

Specs of SVS PB1000 and SB1000 is much better compared to Velodyne Eqmax 10. But in real world performance does Velodyne and SVS make a huge difference? Is it a good choice to go for Velodyne over SVS?

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back