Subwoofer upgrade - 50K

selvha

Hello Gurus,

Need some help in upgrading my subwoofer. My plan is to have a 5.4.1 Atmos setup in the long run. Will be upgrading my gears one by one. I am starting with subwoofer as the one I currently have is a tiny entry level passive unit so looking for a bigger active sub (receiver has sub pre-out). I am a bass lover (but should be of high quality not bhoomy). I want chest thumping bass and should sound good for music too.

Please suggest subwoofers that would fit my need. Also suggest places I can audition them in Chennai. I am okay with pre-owned units also. Thanks!

HTIB - HTR 2064 (Yht 196)

Room size – 11 X 17 9.5 ft (ceiling - will do false ceiling later to install atmos speakers)

Preference is 50/50

My budget is 50K.

You can consider QB12 (costs around 55-60k). It has a balanced presentation and can suffice for both Movie & Music.

Hello Gurus,

Need some help in upgrading my subwoofer. My plan is to have a 5.4.1 Atmos setup in the long run. Will be upgrading my gears one by one. I am starting with subwoofer as the one I currently have is a tiny entry level passive unit so looking for a bigger active sub (receiver has sub pre-out). I am a bass lover (but should be of high quality not bhoomy). I want chest thumping bass and should sound good for music too.

Please suggest subwoofers that would fit my need. Also suggest places I can audition them in Chennai. I am okay with pre-owned units also. Thanks!

HTIB - HTR 2064 (Yht 196)

Room size – 11 X 17 9.5 ft (ceiling - will do false ceiling later to install atmos speakers)

Preference is 50/50

My budget is 50K.

Suggest you take a look at BIC America H100ii 12 inch front firing Subwoofer with rear port. I have personally used the same and can vouch for it for movies/music/gaming. You can read first hand reviews in the BIC America owners thread and it is within your budget.

QB12
BIC PL300
Polk HTS12
Yamaha SBW300 ( lot Cheaper than your budget)

These can be had around your budget, try to Audition and hear them out. I have QB12 which will be going to Friends place and now have a BIC PL300. Love the PL300.
Heard Polk HTS12 and Yamaha too both are capable subs. But check which ones you like after hearing them out.

QB12
BIC PL300
Polk HTS12

These can be had around your budget, try to Audition and hear them out. I have QB12 which will be going to Friends place and now have a BIC PL300. Love the PL300.
Heard Polk HTS12 and Yamaha too both are capable subs. But check which ones you like after hearing them out.
Was the QB12 not able to go deep for music?

Was the QB12 not able to go deep for music?

QB12 is so perfect for music, just the right amount of bass and punch. They go deep, but not much as the BIC PL300. But I don't use subs for music, it is only connected to AVR. I use separates for music, AVR for movies only.

In my setup QB12 lacked the lows which I wanted for movies, BIC PL300 does all this but it is not precise like QB12 for music.

Bottom line:
QB12 is for music > movies
BIC PL300 is movies > music

QB12
BIC PL300
Polk HTS12

BIC PL300 has port noise (chuffing) like shown in this video? If yes, how bad it is?

(skip to 7:59)

BIC PL300 has port noise (chuffing) like shown in this video? If yes, how bad it is?

I don't think his port noise clause makes sense, why would one block or put your hand out near the port? Ports are meant to get air out of the subs. Any subwoofer if you do what he did will have a port noise.

I have never heard the port noise in my sub, even when I was running it at moderately high levels before calibrating. This is a very powerful subwoofer, things can rattle and literally break if you turn up the sub gain, and I am not kidding. It needs a proper calibration befoe running it. I have it at just touch around 35% gain.

Last edited:
There is a pre owned Paradim 1500 sub woofer for sale in Chennai, within your budget.

PM me for details

QB12
BIC PL300
Polk HTS12

Where can I audition them in Chennai? Especially sw300.

QB12 is so perfect for music, just the right amount of bass and punch. They go deep, but not much as the BIC PL300. But I don't use subs for music, it is only connected to AVR. I use separates for music, AVR for movies only.

In my setup QB12 lacked the lows which I wanted for movies, BIC PL300 does all this but it is not precise like QB12 for music.

Bottom line:
QB12 is for music > movies
BIC PL300 is movies > music
Sunfire SDS12 Vs QB12, can you shed some light?

Where can I audition them in Chennai? Especially sw300.
No idea sir, I am from Mumbai.

Sunfire SDS12 Vs QB12, can you shed some light?

Though one, I used the Sunfire SDS12 also for quite sometime before getting the QB12. Sunfire has slight edge over QB12, maybe because being a passive radiator type subwoofer.

Both are rated to go low at 28hz, but sunfire is very good both for movies and music. And that is the keypart I believe, sunfire feels like a ported and sealed sub which is a plus. Only place QB12 has upper hand vs the Sunfire is the punch in 50-80hz region for music and QB12 is tight, precise and fast which sunfire lacks.

My pick after listening to the subs in price range of 50k would be:
For movies-
BIC PL300 > Sunfire SDS12 > QB12

For Music-
QB12 > Sunfire SDS12 > BIC PL300

But as a allrounder Sunfire is very good. Won't give you super lows, but you won't miss out on anything in movies or music.

Last edited:
No idea sir, I am from Mumbai.

Though one, I used the Sunfire SDS12 also for quite sometime before getting the QB12. Sunfire has slight edge over QB12, maybe because being a passive radiator type subwoofer.

Both are rated to go low at 28hz, but sunfire is very good both for movies and music. And that is the keypart I believe, sunfire feels like a ported and sealed sub which is a plus. Only place QB12 has upper hand vs the Sunfire is the punch in 50-80hz region for music.

My pick after listening to the subs in price range of 50k would be:
For movies-
BIC PL300 > Sunfire SDS12 > QB12

For Music-
QB12 > Sunfire SDS12 > BIC PL300

But as a allrounder Sunfire is very good. Won't give you super lows, but you won't miss out on anything in movies or music.
Can you tell me the setting you keep in SB12 for volume level and phase?

So you are suggesting that crossover be 0 and level as the the listening volume in your room
Crossover at subwoofer should be maximum, at AVR 80, phase should be 0.

Gain and avr levels for subwoofer should be around 68 or 75db. Use spl meter app and calibrate.

Very interesting thread. I am in the same boat, I am looking for a sub. Does anyone here as experience with Sunfire HRS10? Seems like a compact sub that can go down very low.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back