Subwoofer Velodyne Impact-12 v/s Polk Audio DSW 550/660 series

The specs on pro fx website are not detailed, check out this link:
DSW PRO 550 wi - Subwoofers | Polk Audio?

Never had a chance to check out yst-sw215 (8inches) in a listening room so no idea about it's performance however going by the specs and price comparision polk psw 125 seems better deal. The frequency response of yst-sw215 is 28hz at -10db as per user manual however polk psw 125 has 34hz at -3db also the price diff is of approx 4k (by mrp) and you get a 12inch driver in polk with similar upper frequency range.
Psw 125 should go well with the satellites.
Take audition of both with some of your favourite music tracks and movie scenes and let us know your views on the two subs :)

Yeah..checked the link and the frequency response is different as given below. Feeling lost again. My cabinet is small and can only accommodate subwoofers that are 16" or less in depth. This Polk was fitting the bill perfectly.

Total Frequency Response 23Hz-160Hz
Upper -3dB Limit 125Hz kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 30 Hz

Is the upper and lower -3d limit any significant. I mean I am not technically 'sound' in these matters.:) Can you please help me what are these -3db limits and how is it going to affect the sound? I want the overall setup to sound good even in low volumes.

Lower -3dB Limit 30 Hz

The figures above mean that the sound notes produced by the Sub DSW 550 between 30-125Hz have maximum difference of 6db. We can say the volume of sound notes is more consistent between 30-125Hz and the after the 125 hz roll off starts i.e. the frequencies would be reproduced till 160 however the volume or SPL of the frequencies after 125 would be decreasing as it approaches 160.
So it will reproduces the frequencies between 125-160 but the SPL of frequencies in this range would be low as compared to the SPL in 30-125Hz.

The MS-100 has 130Hz at -3db after which the roll off starts so theoretically 5Hz range 125-130 might be a little low but it might not be noticeable as the overall frequency of satellites and sub woofer would be overlapping. The The woofer can go with the satellites however not the ideal match.

Check the explanation "Frequency Response In Context" in the link below, simple yet detailed explanation.
Understanding Speaker Frequency Response - eCoustics.com

Talk to polk guy and ask if he agrees to play the sub along with MS-100, if he agrees carrying the satellites should not be an issue I guess.

I hope my explanation helped in understanding the frequency specifications. :)

Lower -3dB Limit 30 Hz

The figures above mean that the sound notes produced by the Sub DSW 550 between 30-125Hz have maximum difference of 6db. We can say the volume of sound notes is more consistent between 30-125Hz and the after the 125 hz roll off starts i.e. the frequencies would be reproduced till 160 however the volume or SPL of the frequencies after 125 would be decreasing as it approaches 160.
So it will reproduces the frequencies between 125-160 but the SPL of frequencies in this range would be low as compared to the SPL in 30-125Hz.

The MS-100 has 130Hz at -3db after which the roll off starts so theoretically 5Hz range 125-130 might be a little low but it might not be noticeable as the overall frequency of satellites and sub woofer would be overlapping. The The woofer can go with the satellites however not the ideal match.

Check the explanation "Frequency Response In Context" in the link below, simple yet detailed explanation.
Understanding Speaker Frequency Response - eCoustics.com

Talk to polk guy and ask if he agrees to play the sub along with MS-100, if he agrees carrying the satellites should not be an issue I guess.

I hope my explanation helped in understanding the frequency specifications. :)

Great...Thanks for the valuable info. :)

Hello Geeks..

Sorry for popping up this very old thread. I am planning to buy an HTS with Denon receiver and Polk bookshelf speakers, which out of these two subs Velo Impact 12 and Polk DSW 550 would be good? Would PSW110 be enough for movies?

Vaibhav

Hi,

Velodyne impact 12 delivers 29-140hz..275 peak power.

Polk 110 is 100w peak 10 inch..delivers 32-250hz.

Both these are sealed subs and are front firing.

Polk 550 400w peak with 10 inch woofer downfiring with slot port and delivers 23-140hz.

The lower the frequency..the better the sub's performance..dont get blinded by power only...type of sub matters..

Read audioholics review on understanding subwoofers..

All the best!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back