Sugden A21 Se -Simply Magical

Guys not to go OT on the discussion, but are Sugdens available in India. I thought I read some where that there is a calcutta dealer? How is pricing relative to uk pricing?
Cheers,
Sid

Arj has put things in good perspective

Don't get me wrong ... I am a fan of sugden.Sorry , I would rather say , I am a fan of an amplifier that is simple and musical. It doesn't matter to me what brand of speakers I use , as long as it nurtures the music and the emotion attached to it ..Remember , I did downgrade from Dyns x12 to the wharfs 9.1 and I am very much happy ..I listen to more music with wharfs than I did with the Dyns ...

They say the sudgen likes harder loads ( prefers it to easier loads as per 6 moons ) so you may like
To reverse your thinking regarding easier loads for the sudgen.

Did u try a bigger spendor ?

Mpw

Guys not to go OT on the discussion, but are Sugdens available in India. I thought I read some where that there is a calcutta dealer? How is pricing relative to uk pricing?
Cheers,
Sid

I understand Blasto in Hyderabad drives the thiels with the sudgen. He got it from south if I remember from Hyd or chennai

Mpw

They say the sudgen likes harder loads ( prefers it to easier loads as per 6 moons ) so you may like
To reverse your thinking regarding easier loads for the sudgen.

Did u try a bigger spendor ?

Mpw

@Mpw ..I heard the spendor bookshelves.
Never heard the Thiel's though.
Did any one hear the Spatial audio hologram speakers .. they might be arriving in kolkata.

Don't get me wrong ... I am a fan of sugden.Sorry , I would rather say , I am a fan of an amplifier that is simple and musical. It doesn't matter to me what brand of speakers I use , as long as it nurtures the music and the emotion attached to it ..Remember , I did downgrade from Dyns x12 to the wharfs 9.1 and I am very much happy ..I listen to more music with wharfs than I did with the Dyns ...

Kushanava

All the above is a general statement.

Please be specific as to what satisfies you in the wharf
Which the dynaudio excite could not do.

I propose an answer...the wharf is relatively harder for
The sudgen tovdrive than the dynaudio excite. Basically the excite series was developed to suit the "mass market " easier to drive requirements.

I wager the focus series will be hugely better.

Idea - in kolkata vsg uses focus 140 .
.maybe pm him and take the sudgen to mate with the focus...:)

Kushanava is right ... as I have bought his Excite x12 from him.
Excite x12 is very difficult to drive I have checked with all available amps from my location and tested it even I have paired with adcom 200W power amp too.It will not drive to there full speck.Always feel the speaker running with low power.May be that is why they introduced new excite series with 8 ohm speck that will more easier to drive than 4 ohm speck.

Last edited:
Kushanava is right ... as I have bought his Excite x12 from him.
Excite x12 is very difficult to drive I have checked with all available amps from my location and tested it even I have paired with adcom 200W power amp too.It will not drive to there full speck.Always feel the speaker running with low power.May be that is why they introduced new excite series with 8 ohm speck that will more easier to drive than 4 ohm speck.

Absolutely ...the X12 were 4 ohm loads 86DB sensitivity and much more difficult load than the Wharfs 9.1.
Dyn have revived the series by starting from X14 model which is 8ohm load with 85Db sensitivity.

Sugden class A have an interesting impedance curve..They fall to almost 50% of their power output at 4 ohms and far more steeply below it. So that pairing has to be with 8 ohms speakers. I would target 85 db to around 95 db with these.

Cheers,
Sid

SKS audio in Kolkata stocks Sugden.I got it from them.

While flying back to Kolkata from Perth on the 23rd , I would be spending 5 hours in Singapore.Should I go to Sim lim Square or Adelphi? I am not sure how long people are allowed to listen to speakers there ?Do they entertain playing personal Cd's ?
I am looking to audition , Harbeths , Proacs and ATC at least.If time permits then magnepian , Merlins and a single driver (preferably voxativ). I am not getting much information on the shops that are there in Sim Lim ...Need suggestions...

Kushanava once I have visited Adelphi that mall having full of hi fi brands like I never heard some of the brands.Some of the shops have very good demo rooms so that you can audition.You have to check the shop timings to visit.When I visited most of the shops where closed.

Last edited:
Kushanava once I have visited Adelphi that mall having full of hi fi brands like I never heard some of the brands.Some of the shops have very good demo rooms so that you can audition.You have to check the shop timings to visit.When I visited most of the shops where closed.

Thanks..Don't see any reason for them to be closed on a working day...

@2014 --
I did manage to spend sometime in Singapore and auditioned many speakers.
1.Audionote AN-E SPe HE -Driven by Audio note amps and AMR Cd player.
This is the first time I heard a corner loaded set up.What attracted me to the system was the beautiful rounded tone.What distracted me is the "corner loading" aspect of the setup.I was not able to get the image depth.I was striving for a little openness in the vocals.

2.Joseph Audio Pulsor driven by two hefty 200W mono-blocks(can't remember the brand).
I went to this room as the Harbeth room was closed for lunch. The room was well set up with ample spacing between the speakers and the walls .The sound was quite different from the Audionotes , more defined outlines to the music due to the razor sharp imaging and wide open sound stage , but never fatiguing.They are the speakers to stun you at their first listen.But they seem to require lot of power and may be too much for my little Sugden.

3.Harbeth SHL5 plus + Rega Mira + 500$ dac + panasonic dvd player.
This was a low cost system compared to the 1 & 2 and well this was the first time I heard a harbeth.They are something special.Unlike the Joseph , they won't stun you , but will seduce you to listen to them.Its like a creamy delicious desert pouring down the throat , rather than a hot spicy curry.Beautiful sweet mid-range and plenty of space between the instruments making everything an 'easy listen' no-matter how complex the musical passage was.After reading several reviews of the SHL5 , I expected the sound to be slower in the dynamics , but I was pleasantly surprised by the pace and timing of the Harbeths.Not sure if this was an improvement in the newer "plus" model.
I could imagine how would this speaker would sound with my suggies!!!
But something that was distracting me was its looks.I am not sure how much important that is for an audiophile , but when I closed my eyes I was fine , but when they stood in-front of me , I started to feel some boxiness(may be my imagination). Also they reminded me of another speaker I liked before , the Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand. The Vienna and the Harbeths are more similar to each other than different , with the Vienna having a bigger bass and Harbeth a little for airy in the treble.

3.Proac 48 + Kondo amp + Belcanto CD player
This was the costliest setup so far.Wow !!! Wow!! The best setup I heard.What balance and neutrality of sound. They were not as sweet as the harbeths , but was incredibly real.They played almost all genre with equal authority and class.The dealer was quite familiar with Sugden amps and said , that I needed the Master class to drive these.He suggested the D18 or the new D30's for the suggies.

3.Voxativ Ampeggio + Tube mono-blocks( forgot the name)
I was already late after spending most of my time in the Proac room and had only 10 mins to spend here.This is the first time I was hearing a single driver speaker.When the music started , my first reaction was of disbelief. Am I listening to speakers ? This is the first setup , where I only heard sound in the room and my eyes never detected that it was played by two boxes.But initially the sound was not as refined as any of the setups I have heard previously.The 33K$ speakers were not playing as per their price tag.I still waited.After 15 minutes(i overshoot my time slot of 10 mins) , I started to hear more clarity and refinement and details.I could only attribute this to the tubes not being warmed up enough.Unfortunately couldn't wait further as I had a flight to catch.
Honestly , I couldn't judge the sound , but what I understood is "coherence" of a single driver.

@2015
After all the demo's and reasoning , I don't know why I am still in love with my imagination.If I had to chose a speaker from what I have heard it would be the Vienna Acoustics or Proac.But , you know what I chose ? I chose an Indian.
I have ordered the Rethm Saadhanas!!!! Its a gamble , but my heart wants that!!!

The sound of the Saadhanas will not be like the Proac or the Vienna Acoustics or the Harbeth or the Audio Note. It will be closer to the Voxativ sound but with much better bass

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back