Suggest an entry level AVR

saurabh81

Please suggest me a decent entry level AVR to accompany Jamo 406 5.1 speaker set and 200 sub.
Price range I am looking for is around 20K
If possible also tell the approx price and shop to buy in Bangalore.
Usage is 50% Movie and 50% music.
Room size is 12 X 15

Thanks

Last edited:
Please suggest me a decent entry level AVR to accompany Jamo 406 5.1 speaker set and 200 sub.
Price range I am looking for is around 15K
If possible also tell the approx price and shop to buy in Bangalore.
Usage is 50% Movie and 50% music.
Room size is 12 X 15

Thanks

Go for Yamaha 363. Denon 1509 is also good(19-20K). Yam 463 wud also be 20-22K. HArmanKardon 155 20-22K.

Thanks for the article...
But it talks only about the features and not about the performance...
I would like to know in Yam 463, Denon 1509 and HK 155 which is best for Music and movie???

HK>Denon>Yamaha will be pecking order for Music. For, Movie all 3 are excellent. HK are on brighter side, so consider that as well.

Thanks for the article...
But it talks only about the features and not about the performance...
I would like to know in Yam 463, Denon 1509 and HK 155 which is best for Music and movie???

We do not know the other parts of your set-up like the source (PC / iPod / DVD-P) nor your display (CRT / LCD and whether it is HD ready)

just a few thoughts
1. If your display is Full HD or HD ready, then your AVR should up-convert (upscaling AVRs would be 30k+) all video signals to HDMI. Also having all Audio decoders including HD Audio would make it future proof for a few years. Very good AVRs for this would be Denon 1610 and Marantz 4003. Both are for aound 25k. Denon is a well featured All-rounder in performance and Marantz is typically good with audio.

2. For 15k, it would be difficult to get HD Audio decoding and Video Upconversion. Performance wise I would prefer the Denon (heard the 1709 not 1509) over Yamaha ( I use old model of the 463 called 459/461). I had heard the HK (i think 154) with JBL speakers for 25k. Not too impressed but was value for money as a package.

3. New Pioneer models are very well featured and iPod compatible (Big+ if you use one, else I would stick with Denon). Check out Pioneer 819 for a budget model. Do not know price in India.

Raghav

We do not know the other parts of your set-up like the source (PC / iPod / DVD-P) nor your display (CRT / LCD and whether it is HD ready)

just a few thoughts
1. If your display is Full HD or HD ready, then your AVR should up-convert (upscaling AVRs would be 30k+) all video signals to HDMI. Also having all Audio decoders including HD Audio would make it future proof for a few years. Very good AVRs for this would be Denon 1610 and Marantz 4003. Both are for aound 25k. Denon is a well featured All-rounder in performance and Marantz is typically good with audio.

2. For 15k, it would be difficult to get HD Audio decoding and Video Upconversion. Performance wise I would prefer the Denon (heard the 1709 not 1509) over Yamaha ( I use old model of the 463 called 459/461). I had heard the HK (i think 154) with JBL speakers for 25k. Not too impressed but was value for money as a package.

3. New Pioneer models are very well featured and iPod compatible (Big+ if you use one, else I would stick with Denon). Check out Pioneer 819 for a budget model. Do not know price in India.

Raghav

Thanks Raghav,

I'll be using my Laptop as source currently i'll be using Digital Audio out (SPDIF) for audio part and video will be directly to my Projector thru VGA cable.

I must say right now I won't be using video capabilities of the AVR. But for sure in future i might need the HDMI to run a true HD projector/LCD. I would like to know the why upscaling is required???

I have zeroed down to Denon, which among the Denon models should i prefer??

1. Upconversion benefit: This is where you connect multiple sources to different video inputs. e.g. DVD via HDMI, STB via composite and Wii via component. The upconverting AVR sends all the video signals via HDMI to the LCD/Projector. Thus you have single connection to the display.

2. Upscaling benefit: this is were the AVR changes the resolution of your video signal (DVD or STB) to a higher resolution i.e.HD. However, you a HD display to enjoy any benefit. Even when display is HD the benefits are not very much judging by user experience.

3. Looking at your case, (no video capabilites being used at present), best not bother about the upscaling-upconverting bit. I would go with the Denon 1509.

Raghav

Thanks Raghav,

I'll be using my Laptop as source currently i'll be using Digital Audio out (SPDIF) for audio part and video will be directly to my Projector thru VGA cable.

I must say right now I won't be using video capabilities of the AVR. But for sure in future i might need the HDMI to run a true HD projector/LCD. I would like to know the why upscaling is required???

I have zeroed down to Denon, which among the Denon models should i prefer??

hi,

got my Yamaha RX V 361 about an 6 months back from Vijay sales for 13.5K. it is a phased out model. they had some more pieces.

Hi,

Finally i got my self a Denon 1610 :yahoo: from Singapore it costed me S$ 450 (~15000).

Thanks a lot to all in this forum to help my AV experience take off (a humble take off)

Saurabh

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back