Suggest an individualised upgrade path for me.

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
@SachinChavan
Oh!!
I'm definitely not as methodical as you. In my home, stands move in and out regularly.
I use tile boundaries as reference to pull as close to sweet spot.

Regarding, speaker presentation, I guess everyone has different tastes.
Most of the time music is playing and I sit diagonally across the room at the dining table and do office work.
So much for my "Goldilocks zone" :D

Cheers,
Raghu

These days the tiles are too big (min 2x2 sqft). Wish they were those smaller older mosaic tiles (9x9 sq in?) as stricter guides! :D

Sachin, going through your current setup and your assessment of it, I feel you should leave it unchanged. Many a times, in this hobby a higher price may not equate to a better experience. Also sideways and even downgrades might throw a pleasant surprise at us :)
I might be naive, but not changing my gear when I’m liking most of what it is offering has been a good enough trade off for me :)

Oh, I can go on for two pages with all the positioning, cable, connectors etc experimentation I have done over the last many many months. And every time there’s been an improvement in sound. Though there can never be an end to it, what I have now is perhaps close to the most optimised sound this system can give. And hence the curiosity to know what’s next. As I said in the original post, I can live with and continue to enjoy what I have and don’t feel compelled to upgrade.

So just one suggestion from me, if you feel already satisfied, dont sell off existing equipmemt. Get new one, listen for couple of months and decide. You never know whats coming.

Sachin, going through your current setup and your assessment of it, I feel you should leave it unchanged. Many a times, in this hobby a higher price may not equate to a better experience. Also sideways and even downgrades might throw a pleasant surprise at us :)
I might be naive, but not changing my gear when I’m liking most of what it is offering has been a good enough trade off for me :)

Yeah, I hear you. And also see the point in that. One tends to undervalue what one already possesses. But it helps me have a broad upgrade direction in mind for the future. (So I can research, audition, comparatively analyse accordingly - it’s also a part of the hobby).

There’s merit I that approach. However with a customised solution, one doesn’t know what one’d get till it’s installed and used. With ready made products there’s the standardised specs and user reports that make it easier to imagine and ensure better match between what one expects and what one gets. Of course this is not in any way about the individual designers/makers concerned (Hari, a dear friend and Virenji, someone I highly respect for his philosophy, passion and abilities). It’s more a reflection on myself (the customer). Some of us are more adventurous and some more deliberative. And of course, we are rewarded differently.

Sachin,
Recently I have upgraded my 2012 model TL FS speaker with a series capacitorless Crossover consisting of just 2 passive components. They sound prestine considering they are entry level drivers from Peerless India and Vifa. If you wish to carry them to your home for a month and discover you are welcome. The sound signature resembles that of PMC speakers.

Sachin,
Recently I have upgraded my 2012 model TL FS speaker with a series capacitorless Crossover consisting of just 2 passive components. They sound prestine considering they are entry level drivers from Peerless India and Vifa. If you wish to carry them to your home for a month and discover you are welcome. The sound signature resembles that of PMC speakers.

Hari, touched! As communicated on WhatsApp, I would like to try out. Let’s do it. I’d understand the technical aspects in a personal meeting.

Guys, an update. Based on an idea that emerged in discussions with Prem, I experimented today by removing my biwiring and trying single wiring with jumper (I have one made of the same cable). I won’t go in the various iterations done during the course of the day, but the final configuration that sounded the best was the one where:

(See pic below)

A) the jumper connected to the tweeter terminal as bare wire. This gave extensions to the sounds creating musicality and removes a subtle veil from the sound (significantly more presence now). The alternative is to connect it through banana plug, but that doesn’t give this advantage and instead makes the sound bright and jarring.

B) The lower (woofer) side the jumper wire is intertwined with the cable wire and then put in the banana plug. This eliminated the bass booming and overpowering that happened in an earlier iteration when the bare wire of jumper was put there. I discovered this happens because then the contact of the banana plug to the woofer terminal is not as good due to the bare wire being in between.

Of course this doesn’t mean I have concluded single wiring is better than double wiring. Won’t conclude that yet. But yes, the bare wire in tweeter gives better extensions (and is counter productive in woofer). That much I can conclude. Later I shall biwire again and connect the tweeter through bare wire (without plug) and see if this improvement is retained/even enhanced.

What does this improvement mean in practical terms. I’d just give one example of a track which plays Surbahar (a kind of Veena that produces very deep resonant sound, like Rudra Veena). With this improvement now, the meends (glissando) that it plays come out strong and clear. And the sound is lot deeper, like it should. Gives a much closer effect of a live concert than before. That was a moment of truth. Another example, the drum on Take Five is so much more impactful now. And the sax sounds more raw - with the breaths coming through more clearly.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I tried the experiment I mentioned in the second last paragraph above. That is, biwiring again, but connecting the tweeter cable through bare wire at speaker end (while continuing to connect the woofer through Furutech plug. And guys, I am super delighted to report the improvement... nay, TRANSFORMATION!

Please pardon my excitement here, but the sound is crazily different! The sound is so much more full of body, detail is at a different level altogether, bass goes deep, vocals lifelike. And I’d understand if you think I am over-over-exaggerating. But I know I am not! It’s freaky. @Hari Iyer, you heard it last week... you should listen to it again now to ascertain the change.

Now:
8F8FC154-11A6-4518-998D-015B9894F035.jpeg

So, I tried the experiment I mentioned in the second last paragraph above. That is, biwiring again, but connecting the tweeter cable through bare wire at speaker end (while continuing to connect the woofer through Furutech plug. And guys, I am super delighted to report the improvement... nay, TRANSFORMATION!

Please pardon my excitement here, but the sound is crazily different! The sound is so much more full of body, detail is at a different level altogether, bass goes deep, vocals lifelike. And I’d understand if you think I am over-over-exaggerating. But I know I am not! It’s freaky. @Hari Iyer, you heard it last week... you should listen to it again now to ascertain the change.

Now:
View attachment 37056
For safety of amplifier, in lower pair of terminals, insert a piece of thermocol or something so that the extended metal part never touch each other accidentally.

For safety of amplifier, in lower pair of terminals, insert a piece of thermocol or something so that the extended metal part never touch each other accidentally.

Will do so immediately. Thanks!

It seems the above was a false alarm. The sound I liked was indeed distortion. When single wiring is done and wire jumper is put, it’s difficult to ensure perfect connections. Also there’s bound to be a difference between the lengths (and kinds of connections) of the cables to the woofer and tweeter respectively. That produces some imbalance in timing between the HF and LF. This is my own deduction.

Connecting back to biwiring has restored normal service and this time I ensured very secure connections which has resulted in increased clarity. Today was an important learning for me that making solid connections at both amp and speaker end makes difference to the sound. Just like speaker placement this not paid much attention to generally.

Biwiring allows the back emf produced by the woofer to return to amplifier instead of tweeter. Hopefully your amplifier has good enough damping factor to handle this

Biwiring allows the back emf produced by the woofer to return to amplifier instead of tweeter. Hopefully your amplifier has good enough damping factor to handle this

Thanks Hari. I googled and read up a bit on back EMF from the LF driver. Like a few other (yet) scientifically unproven theories (for e.g. skin effect in cables) I keep an open mind about it. There’s a possibility that this (or some other phenomenon) is happening, as I hear a clearly different sound (more raw, edgy and denser) if single-wired (along with jumper cable). The sound in case of biwiring is, on the other hand, calmer, well-finished and more balanced. The biwired sound is closer in nature to the sound from my better resolving desktop/headphone system (using it as a reference) than the single-wired one.

Hi Sachin, as so many folks have written and you would also have summarized, dont upgrade unless you are sure what you are wanting to change. Since you are able to hear the differences in cables and terminations etc your amp/speaker combination is definitely at the level of resolution which is good and my view is that unless you are looking for more bass or a different tone, better not to risk that

As my suggestion, In this scenario, the component which will perhaps make the biggest impact would be the source itself and personally my experience also has been on better the source, better the sound. in all my past experiences with Cambridge audio I would rate them entry level only ( again not aware of the new ones) Examples which might be better are Dac by Schitt/Metrum etc.

Okay friends, firstly, thanks for all the inputs you’ve provided. I’ve been processing them as well as discussing in one on one conversations with some of you. And I see some light emerging.

I started this thread with the intention of exploring upgrades to my amplifier and speaker assuming those were the bottlenecks. And as it has become clearer, I couldn’t be farther from truth! A number of you (@ONEMANARMY, @jls001, @prem, @Hari Iyer, @arj) with your experience, insights and solutioning approach have helped me realise that I was looking at the wrong end. That my amp-speaker combination (Lyrita DHT-Audiolab 8200A-Castle Knight 2) is pretty well-regarded and capable of even better sound, while it’s my source (CXC-CXN V2) that could be the end to focus upon. Initially it was kind of saddening as the sources were latter additions to my system. (I shall henceforth refer to the CXN V2 as CXN in this post).

But then with learning as a core value, I decided to be objective about it and explore that possibility further. Currently I use the CXC transport for CD and CXN streamer as inputs that both get processed by the DAC in the CXN. So I had to establish which one of them (the CXC transport or the CXN DAC) was the limitation. Or both.

So I decided to try by elimination. And I needed assuredly better source to do that. So I requested a nearby audiophile friend to bring his vintage Sony CDP 222 ESD along. Now this one has the highly regarded KSS lens and sound which I’ve liked in his system that has higher end amp and speakers than mine. Here’re the results and conclusions from the experiment:

First we played few tracks (Allan Taylor with orchestra, Mark Knopfler, Sur, Stairway) on the current CXC (transport) - CXN (DAC) combination. Most people will like this sound and I too don’t find any obvious flaws in it. It’s clear, enjoyable, balanced and rhythmic. But I know I can get better sound with slight upgrade - the objective of this experiment was to find out which.

Then I changed over the transport to the Sony so it was Sony (transport) - CXN (DAC). And right from the first song to the last in that test list the change was palpable and consistent. This sound was perceivably better than the former in terms of - musicality and focus. The extensions were superior leading to the musicality. So there was that distinctly more emotion (urging his beloved whom he metaphorises as dawn to come to him) in Lucky Ali’s ‘Aa bhi jaa’. Sunidhi’s voice was clearly different - it sounded more layered and not merely high-pitched. One could also hear the added sweetness in both the violin and the flute. And similar observations in the other tracks.

And though all of this was caused by the Sony’s superior CD transport (lens), it was equally true that my CXN’s DAC supported it too. There was this first confirmation that the CXN’s DAC, as has been widely reviewed (and was one of the reasons for my selecting CXN over its competitors) was competent. And that an upgrade in the transport could fetch me high dividend.

Now we had to look at the next experiment. Can the Sony’s DAC do better justice to it’s own superior transport than the CXN’s did? So now we played both the transport and DAC parts of the Sony CD player. And to our surprise, the sound deteriorated. Not just that most of the previous improvements were lost in a fuzzier sound, but the sound was poorer even to my CXC-CXN combination. We just couldn’t listen to it for long. This was the second bit of confirmation that the CXN’s DAC was competent and not the bottleneck in my system, and that paired with a better transport, it shines well.

Then I decided to bring the Schiit Bifrost DAC from my desktop system and couple with the Sony’s transport. Though the sound was good enough, it was overall of the level of satisfaction of my CXC-CXN combination. The added melodiousness, sweetness and airiness of the Sony-CXN was not to be found. This further reconfirmed that my CXN’s DAC wasn’t just ok, it was good. Paired with a better transport, it can produce better sound than a well-regarded dedicated DAC (the Schiit) priced at 40k.

I repeated the same experiments as above separately with my wife (good aesthetic judge) and my nephew (keen young ears and music lover) and their assessments were exactly as above.

So, in summary, now I know where I need to upgrade. It’s the transport - the first point in the whole chain of sound. I need a transport that is more musical, has better focus and airiness, and is more organic than the CXC while (at least) retaining its detail, balance and rhythm. And distinctly and substantially so, not just marginally better. That the rest of my system is capable of supporting that improvement.

So this is where I need help. Firstly, what do you think of the experiments above. Do you agree with the conclusion based on those observations? And then, I need your help and inputs on what/where to look for a CD transports with above mentioned advantages . Of course I have to have a budget limit. Something between 50k-1 lakh. Unfortunately I don’t see any transports apart from CXC in the budget audiophile segment. Almost everything out there is north of two lacs. Anything you know? If not, then I’d have to look at the preowned stuff here. Please do give suggestions on models/makes that I can look out for. Yeah, there’s Cyrus CD t at $750 (don’t know the Indian availability/price) but not sure it’s known for musicality as much as for dynamics, detail and rhythm (which the CXC is decent at).

The other alternative is to go for a CD player with all those properties. The first that comes to mind (based on reviews, I haven’t heard it) is the Naim CD 5SI. This has been around for a long time and known for its musicality and transparency. Any experience or views on it? What are the other decidedly musical audiophile CD players below/around a lakh out there?

(I am definitely not going to rip my CDs and put them on a drive to access from the CXN as I love the CD using experience and also feel the CD sound is more organic than the corresponding FLAC. So a transport/CD player is essential in my system)

Thanks for reading through.

the CD sound is more organic than the corresponding FLAC
This could be OT, sorry for that. I have all my CDs ripped to WAV and play it through the CD player USB port (Marantz CD6004). Since the ripping is done using a laptop transport which must be of poor quality, will it impact the WAV file if done using programs like EAC?
I never noticed any audible difference between the 2 though.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back