Suggest an upgrade for Swift Zxi 2019 company fitted music system

Ebenezer

Hello

I have booked Swift Zxi which comes with Head unit (not touch) and 4 speakers on doors. I don't know what make is the head unit and speakers. Anyone knows?
The sound quality is not that good from the musics system that comes with the Car. I would like to upgrade it, I already have a Blaupunkt active sub woofer from my earlier car. Can i connect this to the HU that comes with Swift Zxi? would it improve the sound quality? Can i select the frequency range for the main speakers and Sub-woofer from this head unit? Does it also require a speakers upgrade? pls advice. Thanks

As far as I know not even high end cars has a head unit with rca outs. That means, you dont have an option to select what goes to what speakers. At the max u may get a 5 band eq with balance and fade controls. Fact is most car manufacturers these days comes with system with cheap components but selected carefully to sound good in the cars.

When we want to do an upgrade it , with more powerful stuff the stock damping wont be enough. Unless u r not satisfied, it's better not to touch it to mess with warranty.

Hi
By default it will be mostly Nippon head unit and speakers
Speakers are really a crap if you don't believe just open and see the quality.
Since changing the head unit damage the aesthetics better stick to that.
Speakers can be changed to any coaxial air components for example Polk db series

All the best for your upgrade

As far as I know not even high end cars has a head unit with rca outs. That means, you dont have an option to select what goes to what speakers. At the max u may get a 5 band eq with balance and fade controls. Fact is most car manufacturers these days comes with system with cheap components but selected carefully to sound good in the cars.

When we want to do an upgrade it , with more powerful stuff the stock damping wont be enough. Unless u r not satisfied, it's better not to touch it to mess with warranty.
Thank you for your response it helps

Hi
Speakers can be changed to any coaxial air components for example Polk db series

Thanks for your suggestions. That's what I thought to only Change the speakers. Can I add an active sub woofer to this head unit?

Hi

Yes the speakers that comes 2ith most cars are bad, but it's a fact that they are selected very wisely to match those systems. I would also recommend updating Polk db series as they are really value for money. U can spend more and get better speakers but db 6501 is good enough for stock system. Sometimes since the treble of the stock deck has to be turned down below zero since many a times the stock deck will have a treble boost even at 0 level to complement the crappy stock speakers.

That's not right. Almost all the after market HUs have RCA out (at least 2 channels). That is how you can connect the HU to a DSP / external amplifier.

As far as what gives immediate up in SQ, my personal opinion is an amplifier. Generally, the oem HUs don't have enough power to drive the speakers. The next would be better HU itself. Unfortunately, the market has dried out here. My 15 year old Panasonic TX550W would eat most of the modern HUs for breakfast. The SQ has been compromised with features (Bt, touchscreen, usb, airplay etc...).

Would recommend to go incremental rather going big bang. Then you can appreciate the benefit of each of the upgrades. And also, if you feel satisfied at one stage, you can stop the upgrade at that point.

That's not right. Almost all the after market HUs have RCA out (at least 2 channels). That is how you can connect the HU to a DSP / external amplifier.
Yes, after market has it always. But I was talking about stock unit. None will have it.

Thanks for your suggestions. That's what I thought to only Change the speakers. Can I add an active sub woofer to this head unit?
With proper damping on the doors Polk db 6501 will give very good response and personally I feel they pump enough bass.
I suggest you first you install the components with an amp see the response
And then think about the subwoofer

Thank you all for your thoughts. I think Polk db 6501 is a component speaker. Would it be suitable for OEM HU? someone suggested coaxial would be better for OEM HU. I have an Active Car subwoffer with me which i can connect if the HU has the facility

As far as what gives immediate up in SQ, my personal opinion is an amplifier. Generally, the oem HUs don't have enough power to drive the speakers. The next would be better HU itself. Unfortunately, the market has dried out here. My 15 year old Panasonic TX550W would eat most of the modern HUs for breakfast. The SQ has been compromised with features (Bt, touchscreen, usb, airplay etc...).

Would recommend to go incremental rather going big bang. Then you can appreciate the benefit of each of the upgrades. And also, if you feel satisfied at one stage, you can stop the upgrade at that point.

I agree, adding an amp makes lot of difference. As you have suggested i will change gradually, first replace the speakers, if that does not make good difference then Amp and finally HU (if required)

In my current car (Wagon R) i am using Pioneer HU with 4 JBL coaxial speakers and Blaupunkt 8" active subwoofer. Even the basic model Pioneer HU gives so much flexibility on EQ, High pass filters, low pass filters for Subwoffer and coaxial speakers. For the coaxial speakers i engage High pass filter and cut the low frequency below 120 Hz and for Subwoffer i apply Low pass filter at 140Hz. I am happy about the quality of output i get in this setup. I am not sure if i would have these features in Swift OEM HU

Pioneers are the most economical, reliable and of course very good sounding head units you can get. They are far better than any stock music system that comes in built in modern cars. Paired with JBL/Infinity oval shaped 3 way coaxial speakers, they sound amazing. In Swifts I think the speaker facility are on the doors where you can't keep the oval speakers. Component speakers are the way to go.
Thanks for the feedback. Does component speakers come with cross over selection unit?

hi,

please do note that changing the HU could result in warranty issues downstream. plus you will need to get the Lxi faceplate as well.

Do check out this product, which is what some installers are now recommending.

https://pioneer-india.in/buy/car-entertainment-car-amplifiers-sound-processor/deq-s1000a/.

It plugs into the speaker out of the HU and can help you tune the car for your environment. it also has pre outs so you can attach an amp for the subs or a front stage. (edit: without any wire cutting (which is potentially warranty voiding.)

the advice given by previous posters is sound; the product that will make the most difference is speakers. unfortunately, when you change OEM speakers for quality aftermarket ones, you lose volume as oem speaker tend to higher in efficiency. which in turn dictates either a new HU or an amp (or both). either way, once you start on an ice journey you will probably need to change everything OEM to get a meaningful upgrade.

have fun.

ps - if had a touch screen HU from MUL (which is quite nice) I would highly recommend the pioneer dSP. since it's non touch screen, I would recommend you get an android auto / car play unit either an OEM from someone who is upgrading or a aftermarket one.

hi,

please do note that changing the HU could result in warranty issues downstream. plus you will need to get the Lxi faceplate as well.

Do check out this product, which is what some installers are now recommending.

https://pioneer-india.in/buy/car-entertainment-car-amplifiers-sound-processor/deq-s1000a/.

It plugs into the speaker out of the HU and can help you tune the car for your environment. it also has pre outs so you can attach an amp for the subs or a front stage. (edit: without any wire cutting (which is potentially warranty voiding.)

the advice given by previous posters is sound; the product that will make the most difference is speakers. unfortunately, when you change OEM speakers for quality aftermarket ones, you lose volume as oem speaker tend to higher in efficiency. which in turn dictates either a new HU or an amp (or both). either way, once you start on an ice journey you will probably need to change everything OEM to get a meaningful upgrade.

have fun.

ps - if had a touch screen HU from MUL (which is quite nice) I would highly recommend the pioneer dSP. since it's non touch screen, I would recommend you get an android auto / car play unit either an OEM from someone who is upgrading or a aftermarket one.

Thanks for your feedback. I went through DEQ-S1000a, it looks like a 4 channel amp with additional EQ controls. Looks promising on paper. Alternatively getting an amplifier with OEM HU - would it improve the sound quality (obviously with after market component speakers)?

Thanks for your feedback. I went through DEQ-S1000a, it looks like a 4 channel amp with additional EQ controls. Looks promising on paper. Alternatively getting an amplifier with OEM HU - would it improve the sound quality (obviously with after market component speakers)?
please check if the poem HU has line out. what I understand about the Pioneer DSPs that no cutting or splicing happens, which makes warranty denial close to impossible. if you HU has line out, then it may be more cost effective to run the amp and new wiring for the new speakers, with the old audio harness intact (which would preserve warranty)

SQ wise, the DSP allows for customisation for the car interior but even a basic"quality" standalone amp with good OEM speakers would clean up the sound, and definitely give you more output than the pioneer DSP will.

please check if the poem HU has line out. what I understand about the Pioneer DSPs that no cutting or splicing happens, which makes warranty denial close to impossible. if you HU has line out, then it may be more cost effective to run the amp and new wiring for the new speakers, with the old audio harness intact (which would preserve warranty)

SQ wise, the DSP allows for customisation for the car interior but even a basic"quality" standalone amp with good OEM speakers would clean up the sound, and definitely give you more output than the pioneer DSP will.

This is what i wanted to know. Thank you. I will Check if the OEM HU has line out. If so I will look for a 4 channel amplifier and decent speakers. Thanks again for sharing your expertise

My new car has arrived. The stock music system is worse than what i had thought. There is no mid frequency at all in the output and to my shock there is no 'Mid' control in the Head unit. Only treble and bass is given. That makes me think that i need to change the Head unit. I have heard that some 2Din Pioneer HU can play FLAC / WAV format. Do anyone know the model number? My budget is less than 20k

Last edited:
I can see couple of Pioneer HU supporting FLAC audio files.

1. Pioneer AVH -X399BT
2. Pioneer AVH -X2890BT

Both are around 20K. Is there any other brand HU with similar features, FLAC support?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back