Suggest best albums of few favourite singers

AMITNOIDA

I have plan to purchase best album CDs of some singers, whom I used to listen in my college days playing in my tape recorder. That tape recorder and those casettes became junk over the years and are no more. But the sweet memory of the magical voices of those singers is still alive in my mind. After about 25 years from my college days, I want to purchase the best albums of those favourite singers and enjoy listening them again. I will listen these CDs in my PC using my headphone and will use few of them for audition/selection (which I want to start shortly) of 2.0 stereo system.

My favourite singers are:
- Neil Diamond
- Pink Floyd
- Dire Straits
- Mark knopfler
- Enrique Iglesius
- Engelbert Humperdink
- Diana Ross
- Diana Krall
- Donna Summer
- Carpenter
- Breads
- Bee Gees
- Lionel Richie

Top 5 albums of each of the above artists may please be suggested. You may add some more legendary artists of your choice and also few classy instrumental music albums (not heavy metal or boomy bass type -I don't like them). The latino and spanish tune with off beats are my favourite. In my college days we used to dance with those kind of music in our college common room. Can you suggest few.....

Thanks
Amit

Just get the Greatest Hits/Best Of compilations for each artist. It does not make sense to get the top 5 albums of each artist. If they are compilations then the songs would be repeated. Instead of going for 5 albums from each artist just get the Greatest Hits/Best Of compilation albums for each one and then use the rest of the money in discovering new artists.

I started a thread for this at http://www.hifivision.com/music/3795-my-top-ten-albums.html but have not updated in a while since I've been traveling a lot, but will do so soon as soon as I'm back. I discovered a lot of new artists/albums based on the recommendations on that thread.

Why don't you Google them? Opinions will vary. Yes. greatest hits is a good idea.
I can give you for 3 of them.

Pink Floyd:
1. The Dark Side of the Moon
2. The Wall
3. Wish You Were Here
4. Final Cut
5. Animals

Dire Straits
1. Brothers in Arms
2. Dire Straits
3. Communique
4. Making Movies
5. Alchemy (Live)

Mark Knopfler
1. Screenplaying (Soundtracks)
2. Golden Heart
3. Sailing to Philadelphia
4. Shangri-La
5. The Ragpicker's Dream

Last edited:
Ok, but all of Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler. Nothing else will do...

Why don't you Google them? Opinions will vary. Yes. greatest hits is a good idea.
I can give you for 3 of them.

Pink Floyd:
1. The Dark Side of the Moon
2. The Wall
3. Wish You Were Here
4. Final Cut
5. Animals

Dire Straits
1. Brothers in Arms
2. Dire Straits
3. Communique
4. Making Movies
5. Alchemy (Live)

Mark Knopfler
1. Screenplaying
2. Golden Heart
3. Sailing to Philadelphia
4. Shangri-La
5. The Ragpicker's Dream

Atleast for Pink Floyd, Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler, you'd miss out on a lot of good stuff if you just stick to their greatest hits albums. Like previously suggested, I'd look at getting their complete discographies...

- Enrique Iglesius...
BTW, you sure it it's Enrique and not Julio?

Atleast for Pink Floyd, Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler, you'd miss out on a lot of good stuff if you just stick to their greatest hits albums. Like previously suggested, I'd look at getting their complete discographies...

I agree, but it would prove every expensive for a single time purchase. Better to build over time. Pink Floyd alone has some 20 studio albums (and I have 19 of them). Now if you start counting all of their compilations and various other releases it would be a lot higher. Even at the cost of Rs. 595 for good quality imported CDs the costs involved will be very high. Unless of course our brother Amit has set aside Rs. 1 lac (which I am all for) getting all the albums of all the artists will end up costing more than his equipment. I would agree with this any day since great music on ordinary equipment is way better than ordinary (bad) music on great equipment.

BTW Amit bro, what's the budget for this CD acquisition project? Now I'm sure we are going to make you spend more here too...

Yes very expensive!

I have the Japanese limited edition (Sep 2008) of Led Zeppelin (12 CD Box)
It's out of print & costs a fortune now!

Thanks Reju for your suggestions on albums of Pink Floyd, Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler. Waiting for suggestions from others on albums of other singers.Yes I can google and in fact I have done that. But I think you guys, who have treasure of albums and being Indian have to some extent similar tastes of music are better guide for me and I have high regards for all of you. If I have troubled you please forgive me.

I agree, but it would prove every expensive for a single time purchase. Better to build over time. Pink Floyd alone has some 20 studio albums (and I have 19 of them). Now if you start counting all of their compilations and various other releases it would be a lot higher. Even at the cost of Rs. 595 for good quality imported CDs the costs involved will be very high. Unless of course our brother Amit has set aside Rs. 1 lac (which I am all for) getting all the albums of all the artists will end up costing more than his equipment. I would agree with this any day since great music on ordinary equipment is way better than ordinary (bad) music on great equipment.

BTW Amit bro, what's the budget for this CD acquisition project? Now I'm sure we are going to make you spend more here too...

Moser, I will not purchase all the Albums at a time. I will slowly build up my stock. My first target is to purchase about 20 CDs of my various favourite artists. Then purchase more in installments. The total spending on albums may go slowly up to high amount, may be 1 lac, I don't know. I believe hobby and passion for any thing does not get restricted to any budget. Everybody knowingly or unknowingly ultimately stretch the budget. BTW I don't want to stick the 'Greatest Hits Album'. It ultimately increases dilema at the time, when subsequently go for any specific album and find that it has one or two songs common with the already purchased 'Greatest Hits'.

I plan to purchase the CDs from 'Musicworld' in a nearby mall. Any suggestion or advise in this regard? Is there online store, who stock good quality albums?

Yes Grubyhalo, you are correct. It would be Julio. Thanks for correcting me.

When you are planning to buy 8-10k worth of CDs (20 CD for 400-500 rupees) you may get a better deal. Maybe some dealer on forum can offer 15-30% discount. At times there are discounts at large showrooms also.

regards

Moser, I will not purchase all the Albums at a time. I will slowly build up my stock. My first target is to purchase about 20 CDs of my various favourite artists. Then purchase more in installments. The total spending on albums may go slowly up to high amount, may be 1 lac, I don't know. I believe hobby and passion for any thing does not get restricted to any budget. Everybody knowingly or unknowingly ultimately stretch the budget. BTW I don't want to stick the 'Greatest Hits Album'. It ultimately increases dilema at the time, when subsequently go for any specific album and find that it has one or two songs common with the already purchased 'Greatest Hits'.

I plan to purchase the CDs from 'Musicworld' in a nearby mall. Any suggestion or advise in this regard? Is there online store, who stock good quality albums?

Amit,

I will still recommend Greatest Hits/Best Of albums to start off with especially for artists you've not heard before. There will be lots of artists you will like and enjoy and there will also be lots of artists you will dislike and not enjoy. For such its better you sample their best work and if you like go ahead with other albums, but if you dislike even their best songs then what hope is there for other albums. Also, there are very few studio albums in rock history which are through and through filled with great tracks or are great works of art. Most in fact are filled with 2 good to great songs and the rest are mediocre so even here it does not make sense to purchase the entire album. Greatest Hits/Best Of compilations are in fact the way I discovered great music and artists starting from the early 1980s when there was no one else who shared my passion and nothing like the internet to connect and get feedback from others.

Of course if its artists you know and like then yeah go ahead with their albums. For instance I was recommended two artists/groups from my other thread namely The Animals and Diana Krall. I got both of their best of/greatest hits compilations. I really liked The Animals and have ordered more of their albums from Amazon, but I really did not like Diana Krall very much. My personal preference is that Vienna Teng and Katie Melua are much better and Norah Jones comes in between, but then lots of others like Diana Krall very much on this forum.

Just my 2 cents...

Hi
I would suggest you to go to...
(1) wikipedia/billboard Website they have all (well most of) the discography of most of the artists. Some even have their billboard position. also what critics said about them. plus lots of information about the artist/song/albums.
(2) choose their albums
(3) go to YouTube or Amazon
(4) find out if they have albums you mentioned
(5) listen to samples of songs of each album
(6) buy them
(7) :licklips:Enjoy

Regards

Hey Amit,

My suggestions as per your list,

Donna Summers - Bad Girls, Wanderer,( Tracks- Love to love you baby, I feel love.)

Beegees - Greatest Hits ( Double Album, ESP. Tracks - Shadow Dancing, He's a liar)

Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon.

Thanks,

N Murali.

Get the Best of Audiophile Voices I & II from XRCD by JVC . The best recorded CD I have heard till date.

Diana Krall :
Live In Paris
Girl In the Other Room
All for you -Tribute to Nat King Cole Trio
When I look in your eyes

When buying stuff avoid the Made in India CD's ( try getting the IMPORT versions ). Japanese Rips are even better.

Please do consider these also -

1. The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac - two cd's
2. The Very Best of Supertramp
3. Tracy Chapman
4. Greatest Hits of Joe Crocker

Amit,

I really liked The Animals and have ordered more of their albums from Amazon, but I really did not like Diana Krall very much. My personal preference is that Vienna Teng and Katie Melua are much better and Norah Jones comes in between, but then lots of others like Diana Krall very much on this forum.

Just my 2 cents...

Dear Moser,

Thank you for suggesting Vienna Teng and Katie Melua. I had never heard the name of these two artists before. But few days back I listened their songs on Youtube and I really liked them. Can you please suggest their best albums? I am now preparing the final list of albums after listening in Amazon.com (Pink Floyd is complete, also selected Heartfelt by Fourplay as adviced by Anil Kumar). Will there be any hastles (like customs etc.), if I order CDs from Amazon.com? BTW how much shipping costs they charge to send the CDs to India?

Katie Melua - The Katie Melua Collection at Amazon.com: The Katie Melua Collection: Katie Melua: Music

Vienna Teng - Inland Territory at Amazon.com: Inland Territory: Vienna Teng: Music, Vienna Teng does not have a best of album yet, but among her four albums this is the best.

There will be no customs, shipping charges will be indicated on the Amazon website itself when you place the order.

Dear Moser,

Thank you for suggesting Vienna Teng and Katie Melua. I had never heard the name of these two artists before. But few days back I listened their songs on Youtube and I really liked them. Can you please suggest their best albums? I am now preparing the final list of albums after listening in Amazon.com (Pink Floyd is complete, also selected Heartfelt by Fourplay as adviced by Anil Kumar). Will there be any hastles (like customs etc.), if I order CDs from Amazon.com? BTW how much shipping costs they charge to send the CDs to India?

The Katie Melua Collection album is not in stock of Amazon.com. But there are few used/new CDs of the same title available in Amazon site. Is it advisable to purchase from these sellers other than Amazon itself?

Katie Melua - The Katie Melua Collection at Amazon.com: The Katie Melua Collection: Katie Melua: Music

Vienna Teng - Inland Territory at Amazon.com: Inland Territory: Vienna Teng: Music, Vienna Teng does not have a best of album yet, but among her four albums this is the best.

There will be no customs, shipping charges will be indicated on the Amazon website itself when you place the order.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back