Suggest budget stereo setup

Thanks for all the inputs guys,have jsut bought wharfedale 9.2 diamonds for 13.5 k in mumbai still thinking on which amp to go in btw heard the Cambridge audio 340 and Nad 325 , found the sound sharper in 340 and softer in 325, keeping the knobs @ similiar lines ,

also the dealer was selling a marantz 4001 (Grey Market) for 13k,wanted to check with you guys before buying....The sound was a little sharper though

Most of the dealers are recommending the Marantz ... so i am lost a little bit

If you can help...

also what sub will go with the combination

Thanks

Neetant

hi I also wanted to check which sub should shoud i go with for the same

Thanks for all the inputs

Regards

Neetant
Neetant,
My sincere advice is not to add sub with any stereo set-up unless you are going to invest in some nice and decent suitable gear designed for stereo too like rell or velodyne, even so if you really want extra bass,you can look for norge sub along with the amp and speakers,norge has recently launched their front firing 75 watts sub at 9.5k, you do call Mr syam bajaj and book an audition for the whole set-up.
I hope you will like the performance..

Cheers

Thanks.

Just wanted to understand this :

Many ppl in this site have suggested Cambridge audio 340A stereo amp with Wharfedale diamond 9.1/ Mordaunt-Short Avant 902i.
Spec of CA 340A says 40 watts into 8 Ohms,Wharfedale says 100 W and Mordaunt-Short Avant 902i 100 W.
I'm totally confused with these numbers.Please help to understand.

Once we decide the speaker,how to choose the amp(Should it's wattage rating matter,it should be more or less than the speaker ?)?

Thanks

Ya that's true :(

But I read somewhere that you can connect the sub just like another speaker to the speaker out set B ( considering that the main 2 bookshelves are connected to A ) ?

Any idea ?

Thanks

Hi,

Even if you have set B, you can connect the sub to the left or right speaker terminal only. So the another channel will be left unused. I think it is not feasible.

Regards,
Muthusami. S

Hi Muthu, which amp would you suggest ,Can you help?

Hi Neetant,

Since you are in Mumbai, I suggest you the Norge amplifier and speakers. Because you can have audition the setup and decide. You can send a mail to Mr. Shyam Bajaj (norgeaudio(at)hotmail.com) for an audition. If you prefer an international brand, you can go for Cambridge Azur 540A, which sounds pure. I auditioned this amp. at one of the member's house. Now it is available as version 2 and the price is 21.7K. This is the MRP and there would be 10-12% discount. This information I got from Cresseda AV Zone at Chennai.

Hope this info. is useful to you.

Regards,
Muthusami. S

Just one last thing , I would be able to attach a sub to this (either azur/norge). since i intend to that later as my budgets permit (3 -5 months)

Just checked the AZUR 540 A but as asked by somebody earlier the wpc for this is 60 and my speakers are 100 watts, so I am sightly confused, is there a relationship or .....

how do we arrive at an optimum performance device?

neetant,
The speaker 100W is typically the max power or atleast the max continuos power it should be fed. This is not the required power. Typically it starts from 20 or 25W depending on the speaker. For Diamond 9.1 its 20-100W.
At normal listening levels you don't need 100W. How much power you need depends on the efficiency of the speaker and the impedance of it.
Diamond 9.1 is 86db only. Its not in the high efficiency speakers. So, you need a better than entry level amp to have some headroom.So, they are better off with 540A than 340A. 340A has to be run with some high efficiency speakers (89db or so) like Monitor Audio BR2. These are under the assumptions that you might listen to medium or slightly higher volumes at times. But, these are nothing to do with the 100W the speakers spec shows. 100W is taken care off to make sure you do not run a 200W into them. And from my past experiences, its better to go for that few extra watts , it will give you more options with your speakers.

Thanks,

That was very informative.Correct me if I'm wrong in my understanding:

1.Less the impedance of the speaker,higher should be the Watt rating of the amp to match it and drive it properly ?

2.The output Watt of the amp should be less than that of the speaker?

btw anyone has any idea on how are polk audio monitor 40?

Just checked the AZUR 540 A but as asked by somebody earlier the wpc for this is 60 and my speakers are 100 watts, so I am sightly confused, is there a relationship or .....

how do we arrive at an optimum performance device?

Neetant,

Check out the specs. of Azur 540A; it says the power output is 60 W into 8 ohms and 90 watts into 4 ohms. So if your speaker impedance is 4 ohms, you can get 90W max power from Azur 540A. What is your speaker impedance? 8 ohms is commonly available.

Regards,
Muthusami. S

Thanks,

1.Less the impedance of the speaker,higher should be the Watt rating of the amp to match it and drive it properly ?
btw anyone has any idea on how are polk audio monitor 40?

Theoretically correct; but your amplifier should have been designed in such a way. For example, Azur 540A's power output is 60W at 8 ohms and 90W at 4 ohms. So check the amplifier spec. before you buy.

Regards,
Muthusami. S

Ok.

I just saw polk audio monitor 40.Mordaunt short Avant 902i,Wharfedale diamond 9.2 and Monitor audio Bronze R BR2.

polk audio monitor 40 : Nominal Impedance - 8 ohms,Recommended Amplifier Power : 20 - 125 w/channel,Efficiency - 89 dB

Mordaunt short Avant 902i : Power rating :15-100watts,Nominal impedance : 4-8?,Sensitivity : 89db

Wharfedale diamond 9.2 : Power rating :20-100watts,Nominal impedance : 6?,Sensitivity : 86db

Monitor audio Bronze R BR2 : Power rating :100watts,Nominal impedance : 6?,Sensitivity : 90db

If I choose the CA 340A SE as my amp with specs :

45 watts (into 8 ohms)/55 watts (into 4 ohms)
Signal to Noise Ratio: 92dB (unweighted)

Which of these speaker will match the best with it in order of priority.

Thanks for all the inputs guys,have jsut bought wharfedale 9.2 diamonds for 13.5 k in mumbai still thinking on which amp to go in btw heard the Cambridge audio 340 and Nad 325 , found the sound sharper in 340 and softer in 325, keeping the knobs @ similiar lines ,

also the dealer was selling a marantz 4001 (Grey Market) for 13k,wanted to check with you guys before buying....The sound was a little sharper though

Most of the dealers are recommending the Marantz ... so i am lost a little bit

If you can help...

also what sub will go with the combination

Thanks

Neetant

Was your Wharfedale purchase in the grey market.. I was given a final "all inclusive" price of 15800/- for a 9.2 and 12200/- for 9.1

Dear Huntedhunter and Neetant,
Don't mess up with the numbers,instead try to listen to the set ups if possible however sensitivity and impedance does matters, if the impedance is low of the speaker you would need a High current amplifier to drive it at ease, its not only the power rated there also the dynamic power reserves which the amplifier has in itself to drive a low impedance speaker.
Well this rule implies here, Higher the wattage of the amp,easier would be the drive. So if you are buying a less sensitive and low impedance speakers you should look for High current amp to make the most of it.
Try to understand it in simple manner..Can you transmute a maruti's 800 engine on a big chassis like skoda/optra ? No you can not,nor can you fit skoda's engine to maruti 800 hence the equation has to there in any other set up too.
2.The output Watt of the amp should be less than that of the speaker?

Usually the speaker manufactures mention you the maximum handling capacity of the driver at maximum given wattage.
If company like wharfedale shows handling capacity of 9.2 is 100 watts, it doesn't mean that you should have an amp with lesser watts, it means the speaker can handle maximum up to 100 watts of continuous power regardless of your amps capability.
You can easily drive a 100 watts speaker with 500 watts of power amplifier by giving moderate watts to the speaker because you have it in your hand but you can not drive a speaker of 500 watts with 100 watts amplifier, Try to understand this phenomenon..
You have a bigger engine and the pedal is in your hand, drive it slow or fast up to a limited extent but you can not drive a bigger frame with a smaller engine.

I hope my tiny knowledge would help you understand this..

Cheers

I bought a Marantz SR 301 y'day .
Will the Wharfedale 9.2 go with this?

Wharfedales are 6 ohms...SR301 is 8

Pls help with inputs or guide me to a thread that has already discussed this

Was your Wharfedale purchase in the grey market.. I was given a final "all inclusive" price of 15800/- for a 9.2 and 12200/- for 9.1[/QUOTE

Hi , purchased it from the dealer not the grey market, the prices have gone gone up fue to fall in rupee

Regards

neetant

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back