Suggest DAC : Budget 15 K

People generally build their audio setup around their Headphones. You have to consider which HP you are going to listen and then find out which DAC drives those best.

I have recently gone ahead and bought a TubeMagic D2 DAC with GE Tube + OPA627 upgrade. I bought this directly from the website.
Ryan Ping who is the chief designer of MA was extremely helpful with all the queries. Shipment came from Hong Kong to Bangalore in 3 days. He suggested a 50 hours burn-in for the Tube. Immediate improvements I could figure out was in the vocals and bass. I would be in a better position to review by this weekend.

People generally build their audio setup around their Headphones. You have to consider which HP you are going to listen and then find out which DAC drives those best.

Is a DAC/Head-phone amp combination required here? Might be useful, particularly for the computer audio listening.

Anyway, it is what I happen to be looking for, and in case it is any use to the op, here are a couple of things currently catching my eye:

Leckerton uha-6s-mkii

Probably beyond budget, this one even has a phono input and an ADC

Furutech GT40 DAC/ADC

Anybody any experience of Aune? Certainly could be good value in this budget range.

I presume that question was directed at me.

Currently I am still to to buy speakers. Not getting enough time to audition. (Going by advise --> Allot Largest Budget to (Active) Speakers followed by DAC). May change my mind and buy amp+passive speakers.

One thing I found that its going to very difficult auditioning DACs.

On the subject, Grant Fidelity seems better option than Tubemagic D2. And pristinenote has started selling Audioengine D2 for 12K (Has good reviews).

Sanket.

I presume that question was directed at me.

Yes it was intended towards you. Sorry! for throwing it wildly :)

I am keeping eye on members' decision on budget DAC as I, myself is on a hunt for a source.
I've shortlisted 3/4 DACs (Not in order of preference):
1. MA TubeMagic D2,
2. PeachTree DAC iT (used)
3. Schiit Bifrost
4. Grant Fidelity TubeDac 11
5. Audio GD NFB 3.1

Tube in the output stage is quite tempting, but I am holding myself back. Let the better sounding DAC wins and not the component in the o/p stage!

Decision is tough for people within tight budget and who doesn't want to (read can't afford to) experiment.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back