suggest DAP (Digital Audio Player) around 10 to 20k

Your old smartphone with a 3.5 mm jack?
Is this setup working fine? I am using an iPhone, and when I use lighting cable earphones, there is a difference from Bluetooth earphones. but with lighting to 3.5, the Apple dongle feels more clear because they used a small DAC chip in the dongle.

Alternately, a smartphone with a dongle DAC + IEM.
So there is no need for a separate digital player? I have never tried DAC dongles or DAPs before. I travel a lot, so most of the time I can't use my home setup, so I thought to buy this DAP for an immersive experience while travelling. If the DAC dongles give some good improvements with IEM, that's good to know.

I'm using Hidizs S9 pro(type c to 3.5 dac/amp) with my S22 Ultra. Pretty happy with this setup.
One thing to bear in mind is that your phone battery life will take a hit when using these kinds of dac/amp.

EDIT:
More dac options can be found on this thread:

EDIT:
More dac options can be found on this thread:
thank you. I will go through this thread.
I'm using Hidizs S9 pro(type c to 3.5 dac/amp) with my S22 Ultra. Pretty happy with this setup.
One thing to bear in mind is that your phone battery life will take a hit when using these kinds of dac/amp.
That will be a problem later. For me, I am more into digital players than DAC dongles. specifically only for audio purposes, and I don't get notifications like on my phone while listening to music for a more immersive experience.

@hifimaddy - what's your source? Spotify/tidal/local flacs/apple music?

Is Spotify/tidal connect important? Is bit perfect important? Is it only a portable setup or is it a desktop/home hifi setup too?

@hifimaddy - what's your source? Spotify/tidal/local flacs/apple music?

Is Spotify/tidal connect important? Is bit perfect important? Is it only a portable setup or is it a desktop/home hifi setup too?
Not for hi-fi home setups. It's only for a portable setup, along with a decent IEM earphone. I have not used local files or downloaded music files till now, but I am planning to make a song library digitally. I mostly use Tidal, Qobuz, and Spotify.

So if you are using Tidal/Qobuz - you can stick to an android based player like FiiO/Hiby/Sony etc. You can then sideload these apps.

If you are a spotify/apple music user - you can check out 7th Gen iPod touch - which I believe was their last? I have one & I use these 2 services on it. My use case is -
1 - Spotify - local downloaded playlist with highest download quality.
2 - Apple Music - Mirroring the same playlists with Lossless download quality.

Pros - Battery, support for the device/updates, apple music & spotify native support, proven longevity of these devices. Infact just today I updated it to 15.8.2.
CONS - They are not making any new ones.

**I also have a US apple profile - specially created for Tidal & Qobuz whenever I give them a try again every year once :) Native support again.

In terms of form factor + usability - sound quality being subjective - so no comments there.

Last edited:
These days you get good dongle dacamp which outperform daps many time its price. So if sound quality is the only concern then a good dacamp performs great. I recently moved from a Lotoo Paw S1 to Cayin RU7 , the RU7 in that form factor has amazed me beyond lengths & I have used it purely as a dac to an integrated & was shocked by its performance.

Benefits of a dap are still manifold though , you get a bit perfect source & are not subject to the os default sampling rate limitations. You are not bothered by the notifications which constantly pop up on the phone & generally they are better/cleaner as a source too.

My general listening is via Hiby R5II as a source only to cayin ru7 directly , I use ru7 with phone/tab only for video & media consumption. If you just want a simple solution a dacamp is the best way to go forth imo

These days you get good dongle dacamp which outperform daps many time its price. So if sound quality is the only concern then a good dacamp performs great. I recently moved from a Lotoo Paw S1 to Cayin RU7 , the RU7 in that form factor has amazed me beyond lengths & I have used it purely as a dac to an integrated & was shocked by its performance.

Benefits of a dap are still manifold though , you get a bit perfect source & are not subject to the os default sampling rate limitations. You are not bothered by the notifications which constantly pop up on the phone & generally they are better/cleaner as a source too.

My general listening is via Hiby R5II as a source only to cayin ru7 directly , I use ru7 with phone/tab only for video & media consumption. If you just want a simple solution a dacamp is the best way to go forth imo
I will look into Dacamp and see if I can find something I am looking for. How is Hiby R5 performing? I am interested in R5 because it has a class A mode. Is it a gimic, or does it have some serious performance? And how are overall OS and build quality?

There is a noticeable difference where class A mode is more warm in signature with little heftier vocals but the Cayin RU7 trumps it overall. Android OS is quiet stable & build quality is very good , however the R6 pro was much smoother .

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back