Suggest good subwoofer around 20K

If you know a good carpenter, get the sub build by yourself. Believe me, it would be far superior than you can ever imagine or listen to in any Audio stores in that price bracket.

No offence but I really don't think I can challenge the authority of a Polk or a wharfdale or any other subwoofer make for that matter.If all of us sit and start making subwoofers or amplifiers.....sigh......I would be ridiculing the guys who make the stuff at the bigger brands.

Speakers stands,wooden cabinets or even simple circuits I can understand. Speakers amplifiers etc, I don't have the time or the technical know how to do so. It's easier to walk into a store and audition and pick it up.

IMHO and with no offence to the DIY guys.

B&W sub costs how much in India and and comments from other folks who have used it.

aadiOO7 - have you bought the Sub....what is the progress.

I HAVE TO BUY A SUB soon....maybe SVS preowned.....any one selling/swaping....I can give ENBEE satellite speakers pair having 4 units and some cash for a SVS sub.

Thanks

Last edited:
My further narrowed down subwoofers.

1. Polk audio DSW550
2. Kef C4
3. Polk audio PSW125

The audition of the above three will be done on Wednesday.

I'm very very inclined towards the Polk DSW550.

However on the profs website, it says matching speakers for the DSW500 are the RTiA7 and the matching speakers for the Polk PSW125 is the TSX440T ( which are my speakers )

Selection would be anyways done on what I hear and not what the specs say. Your thoughts please gentlemen?

Hi

Audition is key and so trust your ears...ofcourse the other side is like I mentioned before check what low frequencies your TSX440s deliver and get a sub which delivers lower that that...if your tower speakers deliver 40hz...no point getting a sub which delivers 35hz...you need more lower than that to really feel the difference....

All the best

Thanks mate, had a look at the specs, the frequency response is from 23-160 hz for the polk DSW 550.

Anyways this is my first subwoofer, so I don't really know how it works anyways. Shouldn't a bigger sub that goes lower help in reducing the strain on the main speakers so that the mains concentrate on the mids and highs?

I'm sounding pretty daft I think....

I went out of station for a while and the sub purchase got delayed.
I have shortlisted the following -

BIC V1020
Velodyne Impact 10.
Taga harmony SW10/SW120
SOnodyne Roar 210
Wharfedale SW150

Planning audition for Taga harmony soon. Will keep you posted.
Somehow I am not getting a good feel about POLK sub. I heard the PSW 110 and it was meh! The DSW550 might be a good one.

Hi

The 550 should work fine...

Once hooked to the Denon 520BT adjust the settings accordingly and keep main speakers on 60-80hz and let the sub take care of all frequencies below this threshold...

Thanks ed,

I'm goin to buy the sub tomorrow. Would the audyssey setup take care of the speaker setup or do I need to manually feed in the values.

I remember the denon had so many options in the subwoofer section......yikes. Anyways ill message u if I need some help configuring.

Thanks.

Which one your are buying?
If you are buying Polk, go for the DSW550 in this range.

The Wharfedale SW150 is not for movies. So ruled out for me.

I am very impressed by Taga Harmony specs. Goes lower than the others.
Otherwise, thinking of the BIC V1020.

SOnodyne Roar 210 specs do not look so good.

I will audition them tomo and most probably buy the Polk 550 or 660, the price difference is not much,about 4000 more.

I would prefer the Polk because I already have Polk tsx440t floorstanders and they are really good for movies. Very happy with Polk so far.

All the best!

Carry your music for auditioning and watch action movie scenes which have low bass effects...

All the best!

Carry your music for auditioning and watch action movie scenes which have low bass effects...

Check on profx site fo current rates and bargain....usually profx ropes in discount with warranty....

watch action movie scenes which have low bass effects...
Efernand1,
One doubt here, do you mean that the scenes with low bass effects should be watched to check that the sub is providing adequate bass for such scenes and the bass is not missed?

Hi

If you are using a set of speakers for a long time, you would have possibly memorized the kind of bass you are used to hearing.....

Music typically gives lows between 30hz onwards.....it is only in certain movies, like Godzilla steps, Jurassic Park etc....you will be able to feel the low frequencies ..depth and punch ..then you know for sure that this would be the sub for you....no point going for a sub which produces almost the same frequencies you are used to hearing from your set of speakers....

Hi Celester340,

Yes Audyssey should take care of the bass settings....based on placement, you may need to manually tweak.....remember all new speakers need atleast 20-40 hours of break in run time to optimally perform so be patient...try experimenting different placements....

Don't read too much in review mate,they are probably one mans opinion. Surely it's good to have a read and general information,but remember,ur house and ur speaker placements matter a lot too. Ones mans meat is another mans poison I say!

If u heard it,u liked it,buy it .

When I was buying an amp,I heard the marantz the denon and the pioneer. I bought what I thought I liked when I heared them. Easy.

Ed, what should the ideal distance between the two floorstanders be? I have a 55" tv so about two feet on either side of that I have put my speakers. Now I need to find a place to put the sub! Jeez this is harder than I thought!

By the afternoon or early evening, shall have a brand new sub kickin some serious ass! Excited!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back