Suggest me between MA RX6 and PSB T6

Better of following two speakers in terms of performance.

• PSB T6

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • MA RX6

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The drivability of the speakers is indicated by the specification -Sensitivity measured in dB. It is a measure of the sound level produced per watt of input power at 1 meter distance. Since dB scale is logarithmic scale For every 3 decibel sensitivity difference between the two speakers, you will have to double the amplifier power of the lower speaker to increase the sound level by just 3 dB to match the sound levels.

Edit:Just looked up the specs: the PSB s have 89dB (anechoic) vs 90 dB for RX6 . So not a great difference!

So does this mean, MA RX6 will be louder with ease of power ?

Even I was in similar thought two year back and finally bought PSB T6.
At that time PSB was slightly expensive than MA RX6.

Finally you have to buy what you like.

PSB I guess you can demo it in Music Ranch.

Even I was in similar thought two year back and finally bought PSB T6.
At that time PSB was slightly expensive than MA RX6.

Finally you have to buy what you like.

PSB I guess you can demo it in Music Ranch.

I have demoed in music ranch only. When he showed with stereo amplifier it was nice. But after connecting to av receiver, it did not sound good. Which av receiver are you using ?

Brother

Go for MA RX 6 no other speakers can beat them in HT as well as in stereo mode. Secondly you should have gone for denon X 2000 av Reciever as marantz is good in stereo but not in HT.

Homiyar

Thanks for the suggestion. I initially considered between x2000 and x3000. Finally settled down with marantz. Lets see how it goes. Anyhow I have bought it already. ONly thing is it has to reach me :)

Thanks Nikhil . Thats quite a lot info. But please clarify me. I pulled out specs of both psb and marantz

Marantz specification:

number of poweramps 7
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 1% 1ch Drive) 180 W
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive) 140 W
Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive) 100 W
70% Guarantee o

PSB specification:
-------------------

Impedance:
Nominal 8 Ohms
Minimum 4 Ohms

Recomended power:
20 - 200 W power

MA RX6 specification:
----------------------

Impedance:
Nominal 6 ohms

Recommended amplification: 40125W RMS

Here nominal impedance looks higher in PSB. But how come its able to drive till 200w and MA is just upto 125W ? Am i missing something here ?

I have highlighted the specs that show the MA RX6 better suited to your amp on paper.

Impedance of both speakers are more or less similar.
(Of course 8 ohms and 6 ohms are not the same but trust me this is fine)

Power Handling of the MX6 says 40-125W Rms.
This spec tells you how much power your speaker can handle for longer periods of time. Your amp has an output spec of about 140W (at 6 ohms) which means you should have a decent amount of headroom if and when needed. Since you have more power than needed the amp isn't working as hard to drive the speakers. This is a good thing. Typically results in a cleaner more dynamic sound.

What all this means is that your Marantz will be able to drive the MX6 better. Your amp can still the drive the PSBs but not as well as the MX6.
None of this tells you how they sound. This is to me very important.

Here my preference is the clay ceramic PSB mid range drivers. I think they do mid range and vocals very well. The PSB tweeters are really good as well. But they do need an amp with grunt to shine. Try and see what they sound like with your Marantz if you can.

I have not heard the RX6 so I couldn't tell you. Needless to say they are quite well regarded. Do see if yo can hear them with your Marantz before buying.

Normally your speakers will be with you for a while so take your time to make sure you pick something you can live with. A bad choice in this area can be very disappointing and discouraging. Don't rush into this without auditioning if you can.

So does this mean, MA RX6 will be louder with ease of power ?

Yes marginally higher. However we can not select speakers solely on the specs and it is essential that you listen to them. I suggest that you wait to receive the AVR and use it in auditioning the speakers.

I have highlighted the specs that show the MA RX6 better suited to your amp on paper.

Impedance of both speakers are more or less similar.
(Of course 8 ohms and 6 ohms are not the same but trust me this is fine)

Power Handling of the MX6 says 40-125W Rms.
This spec tells you how much power your speaker can handle for longer periods of time. Your amp has an output spec of about 140W (at 6 ohms) which means you should have a decent amount of headroom if and when needed. Since you have more power than needed the amp isn't working as hard to drive the speakers. This is a good thing. Typically results in a cleaner more dynamic sound.

What all this means is that your Marantz will be able to drive the MX6 better. Your amp can still the drive the PSBs but not as well as the MX6.
None of this tells you how they sound. This is to me very important.

Here my preference is the clay ceramic PSB mid range drivers. I think they do mid range and vocals very well. The PSB tweeters are really good as well. But they do need an amp with grunt to shine. Try and see what they sound like with your Marantz if you can.

I have not heard the RX6 so I couldn't tell you. Needless to say they are quite well regarded. Do see if yo can hear them with your Marantz before buying.

Normally your speakers will be with you for a while so take your time to make sure you pick something you can live with. A bad choice in this area can be very disappointing and discouraging. Don't rush into this without auditioning if you can.

Which receiver are you using with PSB T6 ?

I am using NAD T757. Let me know if you need any help.

How do you feel about Marantz avr. Wont that be able to drive this to full extent ? Even music ranch fellow was suggesting me for NAD. But that is out of my reach. Thats why comparing denon and marantz, i have settled down with marantz.

How do you feel about Marantz avr. Wont that be able to drive this to full extent ? Even music ranch fellow was suggesting me for NAD. But that is out of my reach. Thats why comparing denon and marantz, i have settled down with marantz.

Marantz will be fine I guess.
If you have already bought marantz AVR don't worry, take your AVR and listen to the both speakers and then decide.

I have the T5 which is one model down from the T6.
I use them with Acoustic Portrait amps and Onkyo TX8050 occasionally.

Marantz will be fine I guess.
If you have already bought marantz AVR don't worry, take your AVR and listen to the both speakers and then decide.

My current worrying part is MA RX6 is going to be replaced with new "silver 6 " series. They say that it gets latest drivers from gold series and it would cost roughly 20-25 k more. If i buy this about-to-discontinued towers, later when i want to get centre and surround, either i will have to go to bronze or new silver which may or may not match well.

Hopefully my AVR should work well with PSB. How about wharfdale diamond speakers ? Will that be good when compared to PSB t6 ? I am planning to take audition this weekend for wharfdale too.

Hopefully my AVR should work well with PSB. How about wharfdale diamond speakers ? Will that be good when compared to PSB t6 ? I am planning to take audition this weekend for wharfdale too.

Wharfedale Diamonds are good speakers but the PSB T6 is one step up.
The PSB equivalent to the Diamonds would be their Alpha series.
However, the Diamonds will be very easy to drive with your Marrantz amp.

An AVR will struggle to power the PSB T6s in my opinion.
You will be better off with the RX6s, Diamonds or PSB Alphas.
They will play louder and with more life.

PSB T6 recommended power rating is till 200W . So later if you want to add a power amp or upgrading to pre/power PSB will be better I guess.

mukuntharajaa if you want to listen T6 with your AVR you can come to my place.

Sorry for interruption, strange fact is you find Polk to be too much for high frequency and but at the same time MA RX6 is nice! Some of my friends suggested me to stay way from MA when I expressed them I do not like too highs and bright sound. Though at the end I liked the balance of Polk Rti A7. I am just wondering, how perception changes from one to another.

Still I respect your choice and I support 'Nikhil' that Marantz SR 5008 would pair better with MA RX-6 among the two. PSB will be little hard to drive by Marantz SR 5008, so there is great possibility you might miss full glass of juice.

PSB T6 recommended power rating is till 200W . So later if you want to add a power amp or upgrading to pre/power PSB will be better I guess.

mukuntharajaa if you want to listen T6 with your AVR you can come to my place.

That's really great of you. I've PMed you. Thanks

Sorry for interruption, strange fact is you find Polk to be too much for high frequency and but at the same time MA RX6 is nice! Some of my friends suggested me to stay way from MA when I expressed them I do not like too highs and bright sound. Though at the end I liked the balance of Polk Rti A7. I am just wondering, how perception changes from one to another.

Still I respect your choice and I support 'Nikhil' that Marantz SR 5008 would pair better with MA RX-6 among the two. PSB will be little hard to drive by Marantz SR 5008, so there is great possibility you might miss full glass of juice.

I did A/B testing of Polk A7 with KEF q900 along with denon x2000. Kef has bit of laid back sound. When compared with KEF q900 it sounded bit bright. That's a subtle one. I did see in particular songs.

I didn't get a chance to compare MA with Polk. But when compared with mordaunt short MA was crystal clear and bold in sound. Didn't sound bright. But I didn't get a chance to try with my list of songs to test. Store was about to get closed.

I spoke to musicranch fellow. There is one marantz amp SR7008 delivering to him tomorrow. Spec wise power difference to my amp is 20w. Not sure how much difference this would make.

At least I can get some rough idea on marantz - PSB combination. I'll update you all guys tomorrow if I get to audition it.

KEF and Polk side by side - that explains enough. I also auditioned KEF Q900 and agree that I found them also to be little laid back for my taste, aliveness or the excitement was missing, reason may be lack of enough break in period. However many positive reviews can be found in favor of MA RX-6 also as well of Polk Rti-A7. But lot of us think MA and Polk are not in same class, price obviously indicates that (may or may not be the reality). Generally MA is more Respected than Polk. Still unfortunately no review yet I found which compared MA & Polk side by side. So I think most of us make comments on Polk (with or without audition) with preoccupied mind. Even if there a paid service would have exist to compare different brand side by side that would be really handy for situation like this.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back