Suggest Speakers for Marantz SR6012

If you are trying to play them in 2.0 mode, make sure you select "Direct/pure direct mode"..

I am using it in 2.0 mode ( Direct Mode ).

For some reason I don't see Pure Direct Mode, pressing yellow ("Pure") button on remote only cycle through "Auto" and "Direct". Manual also says this model support "Pure Direct", however it seems like it's not present. :sad:

Also following setting done.
1. Set Front as "Large"
2. Set Subwoofer to "No"

Also following setting done.
1. Set Front as "Large"
2. Set Subwoofer to "No"

Settings are fine..

I am using it in 2.0 mode ( Direct Mode ).For some reason I don't see Pure Direct Mode, pressing yellow ("Pure") button on remote only cycle through "Auto" and "Direct". Manual also says this model support "Pure Direct", however it seems like it's not present. :sad:

What is the source you have connected to Denon AVR & what connectivity have you used ?

Settings are fine..
What is the source you have connected to Denon AVR & what connectivity have you used ?

I have tried following sources
1. Pen Drive
2. TV ARC -> PCM -> AVR HDMI OUT ( TV DAC will be used )
3. TV ARC -> Bit Stream -> AVT HDMI OUT ( AVR DAC will be used )
4. Bluetooth from Sony Xperia Z
5. Laptop connected to front AUX HDMI.
6. Laptop connected to back (Blu-Ray ) HDMI.

In above all cases I only see "Auto" and "Direct".

In above all cases I only see "Auto" and "Direct".

This is from the Denon x 1400 Manual

Direct sound mode

Sound mode type Description

Direct This mode plays back audio as recorded in the source.

Pure Direct This mode plays back an even higher quality sound than the Direct mode.
The following circuits are stopped in order to further improve sound quality.
0 Display indicator circuit of the main body (display will go off.)
0 The analog video input/output switcher and processor is disabled.

Looks like "analog video input/output switcher and processor is disabled" in pure direct mode..

In Direct mode, both stays on.. So it may not be a significant difference between the two..

I have tried following sources
1. Pen Drive
2. TV ARC -> PCM -> AVR HDMI OUT ( TV DAC will be used )
3. TV ARC -> Bit Stream -> AVT HDMI OUT ( AVR DAC will be used )
4. Bluetooth from Sony Xperia Z
5. Laptop connected to front AUX HDMI.
6. Laptop connected to back (Blu-Ray ) HDMI.

Try the 5 & 6 again with Foobar, WASAPI Plugin installed..Select "WASAPI - Denon AVR" under playback options..

Else install Kodi, get into settings" expert" menu (Left hand corner) and enable "WASAPI - Denon AVR" under audio settings, and then try playback..

This is from the Denon x 1400 Manual
Try the 5 & 6 again with Foobar, WASAPI Plugin installed..Select "WASAPI - Denon AVR" under playback options..

Else install Kodi, get into settings" expert" menu (Left hand corner) and enable "WASAPI - Denon AVR" under audio settings, and then try playback..

Yesterday forgot to mention, Laptop connected to AVR.
I have used foobar with WASAPI only.

I also tried, Phone -> 3.5 mm to RCA -> AVR Analog In
still no Pure Direct Mode.

Also please note that I have not yet run Audyssey MultEQ XT setup.

It looks like x1400h does not support Pure Direct mode.

Checked two different online manual, one say's it support and other say's it does not support

Please check attached Image for the same.

Attachments

• Denon EU.jpg
    Denon EU.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Denon NA.jpg
    Denon NA.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 67
It looks like x1400h does not support Pure Direct mode.

Checked two different online manual, one say's it support and other say's it does not support

Please check attached Image for the same.

Looks like the European model/220 ~ 240V unit doesn't have Pure Direct playback, while the US Version/110V unit have this feature..

No idea why they omitted in the 240V unit..

Hi Jigar...
Congratulations on your purchase. Fondly hope they give you years of musical bliss.

I wouldn't loose sleep over the pure direct mode. I couldn't hear it make much of a difference in my setup atleast. But audyssey calibration makes a huge difference. So please carry it out. You will be pleasantly surprised with the results :)

Thank you elangoas and newlash09 , for helping me making decision on complete HT system, with your advice I was able to setup a good HT also able to save 1.5L money.

Once again Thank You guys.

Here are the pics of HT.

Before any one comment, Yes, I need to hide speaker cable of Front Right Speaker. :)

Attachments

• DSC01945.jpg
    DSC01945.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC01946.jpg
    DSC01946.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC01947.jpg
    DSC01947.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 57
Yellow button on the remote should enable pure/direct mode i.e. no audio processing.

Hi again Jigar....

Your setup looks really neat and tidy. Maybe you can try experimenting with speaker placement a bit, as you only have to do it once.

- I personally prefer all front speakers at same height, and their tweeter about ear level.
- You are indeed fortunate to have cabinet of the right height. I would try placing all the front 3 speakers on the cabinet at same level. Then the center speaker will also cover up the plug point below the tv.
- Next, if you don't intend to expand to atmos setup, then please have your rear surrounds, approx. 1 feet above your ear height in your sitting position.
- Shifting the Whardales from wall mounting to shelf top placement, will improve their mid-range where most vocals reside. However, they will loose bass re-inforcement they receive from the rear wall. So you might have to boost your sub volume a bit.
- You can try between wall mounting and cabinet top mounting, as both will change the sound quiet a bit. And you can decide which you prefer.

All the best :)

- I personally prefer all front speakers at same height, and their tweeter about ear level.
- You are indeed fortunate to have cabinet of the right height. I would try placing all the front 3 speakers on the cabinet at same level. Then the center speaker will also cover up the plug point below the tv.

Currently front speakers tweeter at ear level.
Secondly I do not want to place speaker on cabinet, because of accidental fall.
My surround is 1 feet height from ear level.
Center speaker is slightly angle towards listing position.
Since DX1-se can go down till 120hz, I have configured crossover 140 hz to reduce amount of bass.

My previous experiment with wharfedale diamond 225, If I keep it on cabinet dues to glass surface lots reverb happens.
If I keep wharfedale diamond 225 on some thick foam block then on cabinet they sound good.

Hi jigar...
Good morning again.

Your speaker setup seems to be optimum as all tweeters are at ear height. Undertsand that you have the center speaker angled towards you, that is spot on too.

Since, you are using a cross over of 140hz, if you feel that you can make out the sub being to the side sound wise. You can consider moving it below your center speaker. Then the bass will seem to emit from the center of the forward soundstage. All the best :)

If I place my subwoofer just below front right speaker on glass self, will it considered good placement or do I need keep something in mind.

Note: Wharfedale dx1-se subwoofer is sealed one.

Three purpose of placing subwoofer under front right speaker.
1. Hide right speaker cable :)
2. Subwoofer will be placed on side, making living room more children friendly.
3. All bass will come from front and I think it will be well integrated.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back