Suggestion First Setup - Mostly USB & BT Audio

kajha83

Hi,
I am planning to go for my first hifi setup.
Source is going to be 80% USB and BT - Indian Golden Era Music. Would use 20% for TV / Movie on few occasions.
Setup will be in Living Room (20 X 16).
Budget - 30K.

Currently I am in Netherlands. And was exploring offers on Amazon DE.
Can get the HT/Receiver here. And consider Speakers in India.

Options Considered:
#1 - Onkyo A 9010 for € 165
(Need DAC / Bluetooth attachments.)
#2 - Pioneer VSX 531 for € 230
(Has all capabilities)
#3 - Yamaha YTH 1840 / Yamaha YHT-299 in India
(Full Package including speakers)
#4 - Not to rush now. And take a well thought decision in India
(Cant make use of local offers and potentially VAT refund too)

I am inclined towards #2. But need expert advice on whether #2 is really a good offer (price) and product quality to go for immediately.
If I go for #2, thinking to start with just a pair of speakers and gradually build up.

Thoughts and suggestions please...

Thanks,

Kamal

#2 - Pioneer VSX 531 for € 230
(Has all capabilities)

I am inclined towards #2. But need expert advice on whether #2 is really a good offer (price) and product quality to go for immediately.
If I go for #2, thinking to start with just a pair of speakers and gradually build up.

Thoughts and suggestions please...

Pioneer VSX 831 is aval for lil more 268 Euro (silver).. Has wi-fi too and can be handy for movie playback.. https://www.amazon.de/Pioneer-VSX-8...8&qid=1542292837&sr=8-22&keywords=Pioneer+VSX

Also Sony AVR's are inexpensive in Europe.. Sony STR series.. Do check them too and pick the best AVR in your budget with all the features..

Pioneer VSX 831 is aval for lil more 268 Euro (silver).. Has wi-fi too and can be handy for movie playback.. https://www.amazon.de/Pioneer-VSX-8...8&qid=1542292837&sr=8-22&keywords=Pioneer+VSX

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.
Do you think the product and price is too good to consider it?
I am just worried if this is a decision made in hurry.

As mentioned, my budget is 30 K.
With this receiver, would going for 2.0 -> 2.1 -> 5.1 gradually make sense? Or would I have to start with 5.0?

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.
Do you think the product and price is too good to consider it?
I am just worried if this is a decision made in hurry.

The same AVR, black colour is 100 Euros more than silver.. So you are saving 100 Euros..

As mentioned, my budget is 30 K.
With this receiver, would going for 2.0 -> 2.1 -> 5.1 gradually make sense? Or would I have to start with 5.0?

If you can slightly stretch your budget, then you can get Taga TAV 5.0 speaker package.. A 5.0 works for both movies & music.. Starting 2.0 set-up, just kills the movie experience IMO..

The same AVR, black colour is 100 Euros more than silver.. So you are saving 100 Euros..

I got that ofcourse.
I was mainly thinking if going for VSX 531 / VSX 831 for around 20K is a good decision?
Is it a good product?
Is it a good price?

Or, for my requirement, could I get something better (at this price) or anything cheaper (whether the choices are overkill) if I took my time and considered alternatives?

Sorry for so many questions...

I got that ofcourse.
I was mainly thinking if going for VSX 531 / VSX 831 for around 20K is a good decision?
Is it a good product?
Is it a good price?

Yes, IMO to all of your queries..

Or, for my requirement, could I get something better (at this price) or anything cheaper (whether the choices are overkill) if I took my time and considered alternatives?

Sorry for so many questions...

Np.. I don't think you would get a better product with the features you are looking for that price..

Thanks.
I have placed order for VSX 831. Will hopefully arrive next week.

Before I jump into speakers (will do in India), the first hurdle is taking it back with me.

Weight allowance in flight is not an issue for me.
Those who have experience, please share tips. Can I just check it in original packaging?
Or should I put it in another box?
Or maybe within the suitcase (if the box would fit).

Sorry if the questions are sounding odd...
Want to learn from others experience.

Thanks.
I have placed order for VSX 831. Will hopefully arrive next week.

Before I jump into speakers (will do in India), the first hurdle is taking it back with me.

Weight allowance in flight is not an issue for me.
Those who have experience, please share tips. Can I just check it in original packaging?
Or should I put it in another box?
Or maybe within the suitcase (if the box would fit).

Sorry if the questions are sounding odd...
Want to learn from others experience.

My friends have carried some electronics for me including AVR, they kept in original packaging and it was part of their baggage..

If you stay away from India for more than 3 days, you are straightaway eligible to carry goods worth abt 50K Approx.. The product is not even half the value of the allowance..Don't worry much.. You are good to go..

What you can do is use (dirty) tapes around the boxes to make it look like used product (box) on first impression.. Have the bill with you handy incase you are questioned..

If you can slightly stretch your budget, then you can get Taga TAV 5.0 speaker package

Are there options with more compact (yet descent sounding) 5.0 or 5.1 speaker systems?

Can I start with a pair of bookshelf and use as Front Speakers for now. And gradually get a sub woofer and finally the center and surround speakers?

Are there options with more compact (yet descent sounding) 5.0 or 5.1 speaker systems?

Yes.. There are inexpensive, yet decent 5.0 options.. Taga TAV series is one such, as well as Taga Inmove series 5.0 speaker package..

Can I start with a pair of bookshelf and use as Front Speakers for now. And gradually get a sub woofer and finally the center and surround speakers?

Yes.. This is also fine, but will be more expensive route.. An other affordable choice, would be Taga Harmony Platinum series..

Choose, depending on your budget..

You could look at Polk RTi A1 or Dali Zensor 1 for now along with a Sub. Later on you could move either of these to the back for surround duties and get their bigger versions for the fronts and a matching center. That should set you up for a lovely setup. Sub from SVS, Sunfire, BIC, etc should work well.

MaSh

There are inexpensive, yet decent 5.0 options.. Taga TAV series is one such, as well as Taga Inmove series 5.0 speaker package

Thanks for the details.
I was curious about 'compact' size (e.g. without tower speakers).
Few options I see on Amazon DE include:
Onkyo SKS-HT528
Pioneer S-11
JBL Home Cinema 510

Sorry for the naive question. But are these not the right category (technically)?
Or are these not advised because of sound quality?

I think Taga Inmove might suit. On hifimart, I see a 5.1 package. Is this commonly available in 5.0 setup also? Any suggestions on online retailers in India?

Or, does anyone have suggestion on retailer in Kolkata where I could check for Taga Inmove 5.0 (and other options)...

You could look at Polk RTi A1 or Dali Zensor 1 for now along with a Sub. Later on you could move either of these to the back for surround duties and get their bigger versions for the fronts and a matching center. That should set you up for a lovely setup. Sub from SVS, Sunfire, BIC, etc should work well.

Thanks. But I think this will substantially overshoot my budget. Will check prices.

Thanks for the details.
Onkyo SKS-HT528
Pioneer S-11
JBL Home Cinema 510

The above mentioned 5.1 speaker package, are with full range speakers and sub-par active subwoofer with 6.5 inch drivers..

Sorry for the naive question. But are these not the right category (technically)?
Or are these not advised because of sound quality?

The above are also fine to be considered, but only if you are on really tight budget.. The Onkyo & Pioneer speakers are usually the ones that come as part of HTIB package..

If you can spend 20K upwards, you can consider better options..

I think Taga Inmove might suit. On hifimart, I see a 5.1 package. Is this commonly available in 5.0 setup also? Any suggestions on online retailers in India?

Or, does anyone have suggestion on retailer in Kolkata where I could check for Taga Inmove 5.0 (and other options)..

The Taga inmove series is actually a 5.0 speaker system without a subwoofer, which according to me is good as it gives flexibility to the user in adding a more powerful sub of his choice.. But hifimart has packaged it with a subwoofer.. Speak to hifimart and see if you can grab them without subwoofer..

Thanks. But I think this will substantially overshoot my budget. Will check prices.

Check the Polk unit linked below.

Thanks for the details.
Onkyo SKS-HT528
Pioneer S-11
JBL Home Cinema 510

If these are your options, then you should definitely consider Polk TL1600. Its quoted at 40k, however, I am sure you can pull in some discount from Pro FX.

MaSh

Thanks again. On Amazon, I see it priced at 32,499. Few, but good reviews.
Will sure consider it.
Oh good even better then. Pro FX are authorized dealers for Polk. So you should get a proper bill and warranty. You could use Amazon for a good discount from Pro FX.

MaSh

Trying to understand the specifications and compatibility between receiver and speakers.
Would be great if someone could help.

AVR: 6 Ω | 130 W/Ch
TAGA Inmove 5.0: 6 Ω | 20W - 80W (Recommended Amplifier Power) 60W RMS

Should the Speaker Impedance be "<=" or ">=" or "=" the AVR Impedance?
Also, some explanation about the Power specifications above...

I am confident, this discussion would have happened many times earlier. In that case, please help me with the thread reference.

Kamal

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back