Suggestion for Audio CD Player

hey sgmane, one option you could think of is.....hooking up your CD player to a pair of powered speakers (these are speakers that have a built in amplifier) such as the Audioengine A2s (they cost 9-10k). The reviews are dazzling and I am told that it is a stunning pair of speakers for the money. The bass may not as thumping as larger speakers, but the level of clarity, detail and soundstaging are apparently unmatchable at anywhere near that price.

Of course, since it is a 10k outlay, you can think of upgrading soon. And you can then pick up an amp-speaker combo costing maybe 25k....somwhere along the line....and you can use the A2s as computer speakers, or gift it to someone.

While I personally haven't heard the CD5, I think the Cambridge 640C is a steal at ~20K. See if you can't stretch and get it, it's vastly superior to anything in the budget category. Some people can't tell the difference between this player and the 740C, which is doubly as expensive and features 24-bit/384 KHz upsampling.

There's no point looking for mp3 compatibility in a CDP, the whole point of mp3 is the convenience (jukebox/ playlists) which is best achieved hooking up a comp or ipod to your amp. Believe me, you'll tire of burning CDs pretty soon..

I was reading in some other global audio forums that several CA's 840 CD players (used) were now listed for sale and some debates are going on with a majority admitting they could not continue listening to it after a few weeks/months. Just sharing the info.

> murali

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back