Suggestion For AV receiver.

harman90

I ordered taga 506 speakers. now I am considering Av receiver. My preference will be mostly movies .
here is some list

Denon Avrx1400H - 40K (bit out of budget)
Denon 540bt - (1 month old) - 25k
Yamaha 3067 - 25k
Pioneer 540bt - 27K
what do you think should be my choice considering I use Pc via HDMI wire to play movies. which one will give me good punch out of towers. Which is the best deal in above given list?

Hi

This should solve and provide the best experience for movies and music.....

https://www.hifimart.com/marantz-nr1508-av-receiver.html

It has enough steam to drive floor standing speakers like Dali Zensor 7....dont see any challenge driving the speakers you have....
Thank you for your suggestion.
its description says
Rated at 50 watts per channel (8 ohm, 20 Hz – 20 kHz, 0.08% THD)

where as 3067 description says
100 W per channel (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9% THD, 1-ch driven);
70W per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.09% THD, 2-ch driven);

So how we can determine power ? sorry for amateur question.

You can refer to the Marantz Owners thread where you will find enough of users of the NR series from Marantz....i was a NR user before and now i use the SR series....The Dali Zensor 7 (if you have seen the technical specs of this speaker) are power hungry and yet are able to drive easily on the NR series...

You have Taga speakers which i believe are rated at 6 ohms....the NR series belts out 70 watts RMS at 6 ohms.....this should be more than enough for the speakers you have.

If you feel the Yamaha would be better in terms of power delivery, you should then go for it.

Better if you can audition these AVRs at the dealers around you. Refer to Youtube videos for some cues....

If you feel the Yamaha would be better in terms of power delivery, you should then go for it.

Better if you can audition these AVRs at the dealers around you. Refer to Youtube videos for some cues....
I really dont have knowledge. This is my first HT. So i would only really on experts here. I am from punjab, so dont have any option here to audition. So i am also looking into after sale service by brands just to be safe. :)

You have Taga speakers which i believe are rated at 6 ohms....the NR series belts out 70 watts RMS at 6 ohms.....this should be more than enough for the speakers you have.
On review website it says, 100 rms for 6ohm. So really dont have any idea how to compare power.

I really dont have knowledge. This is my first HT. So i would only really on experts here. I am from punjab, so dont have any option here to audition. So i am also looking into after sale service by brands just to be safe. :)

On review website it says, 100 rms for 6ohm. So really dont have any idea how to compare power.

Take the power figure with a pinch of salt, they are over stated by all the manufacturers and I assure you the Yamaha is not hat powerful, I owned Htr3066 myself and it used to struggle powering wharfedale 225 at high volume (never tripped), Iused it for more than 3 years before I upgraded to Marantz SR7012 which is reported to have power figure 125 w per channel (2 channel driven).

Also if you check specification for NR 1508 on : http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=avreceivers&ProductId=NR1508
Number of Poweramps5
Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive)50 W
Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.05% 2ch Drive)
icon_unavailable.png

Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive)60 W
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 10% 1ch Drive)100 W

so stated power is same with 1 channel.

Moreover Marantz are network connected and you can stream audio with its HEOS app and receive regular updates whereas Yamaha rarely gets updated,, chances are even less now it has been disconitnued I think (mine never did) also no auto update as no network connectivity.

with Yamaha you will start feeling the need to upgrade sooner or later but Marantz is good for music and movie , will satisfy 5.1 setup needs easily , upgrade bug will still bit you but can be easily controlled, IMO Marantz is a much better deal.

The Tagas you have need at least 20 watts RMS to work and can handle upto 120 watts at 6 ohms load....that does not mean you need to timber match with a 120 watts per channel amp or avr......

http://www.tagaharmony.com/catalog,product,id,133,home_speakers_audio-video_series_tav-506_v.2

In my opinion, i believe the Marantz 1508 is slim, loaded with latest features and can easily handle these speakers with the 70 watts RMS it belts out at 6 ohms load.....

You can read owner reviews on Taga Threads, Yamaha Threads and even the Marantz thread.....if setup and placement of speakers is done appropriately with the right source content and wiring.....you are set and will not regret it.

Thank you for your suggestion.
its description says
Rated at 50 watts per channel (8 ohm, 20 Hz – 20 kHz, 0.08% THD)

where as 3067 description says
100 W per channel (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9% THD, 1-ch driven);
70W per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.09% THD, 2-ch driven);

So how we can determine power ? sorry for amateur question.
If you want a yamaha, go for rx-v583/585. It has enough power for entry level towers like zensor 5/7. 3067 is only good for small satellites. DONT go for 3067if you plan to drive towers. Denon 1400/1500 is also very good. Audition both and then it is up to you to choose.

If after sales service is prime concern then Look at yamaha, as atleast for AVR's they have minimum assurance of 5 years parts availability post model being discontinued.

I just found out Pioneer got its service centre in my city as well as in ludhiana which is very much close.
So I am getting inclined towards Pioneer VSX-531 as it got more power than Marantz 1508 Also, it got lot of positive reviews on amazon. com .

Moreover, most of the advanced feature of Marantz 1508 I think , would be useless to me. I am going to use PC via HDMI to stream movie. I will be using bluetooth to listen to music. Its 2 Channel PREOUT seems like the only Feature I would be missing out on.

If there's any negative point regarding this Pioneer VSX-531, Please let me know :)

Incase I go out my way to spend extra bucks, Wouldn't it be better to buy Denon 1400 BT with DOlby atmos capability and extra power??

Last edited:
Its 2 Channel PREOUT seems like the only Feature I would be missing out on.

If you will never use pre-out, then no point buying an AVR with one..

If there's any negative point regarding this Pioneer VSX-531

Don't think any, but if you want to settle for 5.1.. But i would suggest Pioneer VSX 831.. Though it is a 5.1 AVR, it still supports Dolby Atmos with front height speakers.. If that interests you..

Incase I go out my way to spend extra bucks, Wouldn't it be better to buy Denon 1400 BT with DOlby atmos capability and extra power??

Worth it IMO.. Gives you the flexibility to expand your HT system to 5.1.2 from 5.1.. You may also consider Pioneer VSX 932..

Last edited:
I just found out Pioneer got its service centre in my city as well as in ludhiana which is very much close.
So I am getting inclined towards Pioneer VSX-531 as it got more power than Marantz 1508 Also, it got lot of positive reviews on amazon. com .

Moreover, most of the advanced feature of Marantz 1508 I think , would be useless to me. I am going to use PC via HDMI to stream movie. I will be using bluetooth to listen to music. Its 2 Channel PREOUT seems like the only Feature I would be missing out on.

If there's any negative point regarding this Pioneer VSX-531, Please let me know :)

Based on your actual use and budget, you should go for that AVR......there is also a Pioneer Owners thread

I ordered taga 506 speakers. now I am considering Av receiver. My preference will be mostly movies .
here is some list

Denon Avrx1400H - 40K (bit out of budget)
Denon 540bt - (1 month old) - 25k
Yamaha 3067 - 25k
Pioneer 540bt - 27K
what do you think should be my choice considering I use Pc via HDMI wire to play movies. which one will give me good punch out of towers. Which is the best deal in above given list?
Denon avrx1400 will be best for your usage which is movies.
Plus has dolby atoms incase you want to upgrade to Atmos setup later.

Cheers.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back