Suggestion for record cleaning Bath

mahiruha

Hello,
I am trying to device a very basic vinyl cleaning bath. I am uploading some pictures of it.
Vinyl bath.jpg

Brush closeup.jpg

View attachment 856

Any suggestions in terms of modifications are welcome. I am using a nylon brush here. Is it proper to use that kind of brush ? Any suggestions regarding the brushes that can be used?? It is approximately 3 litres in volume.As a washing liquid just plane soap water should suffice or I need to use distilled water , isopropyl alcohol and some wetting agent formula.I have already collected a 500ml bottle of iso propyl alcohol. Bit hesitant to use it because of its ominus looks.:sad:
Thanks in advance,
Mahiruha.

Last edited:
Plz search the threads of the Forum-some members,Stevieboy for e.g.comes to mind ,have devised some DIY ways to clean LPs.

hi mahiruha,

your contraption is similar to a commercial one in production, knosti disco antistat. it should work well! isopropyl can be used 20% distilled water 80% a few drops of soap per litre. i use neem pril. just make sure you rinse the lps with distilled water after the bath. some people use plain water. and let them dry for a half a day or more before playing. wipe with a cloth i use microfibre cloth after the distilled water rinse.

regards

Hello Stevieboy,
it seems from your suggestion the initial design is ok. I am planning to fix the brush inside the bath using industrial glue otherwise this wire suspension is a bit clumsy. Also i need to device small rod using which I can rotate the disc. Right now I am using a pencil and it is a bit clumsy. I cleaned a few records yesterday with soap water and the results weren't that bad given the records already had few scratches. But I am happy to experiment since I found from the web ortofon cartridge they provided with the project is not very expensive so a few experiments can be done before finalising on the the bathing and listening experience.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

hi mahiruha,

fixing the brush would be better than the wire. you could also hold it by hand against the record while rotating the record with the other hand. you could use a rod of some sort through the record center? enjoy! experimenting is half the fun wot say? :)

also search for gem dandy lp cleaner. it uses a hose attached to the kitchen pipe to hose down the record. since you're into building your own stuff...

regards

I read somewhere abt someone using a sort of steamgun on LPs.
The contraption looked like a watering can with a long tapering nozzle to blast steam onto records.Reportedly it was very effective in loosening crud/hard, deep seated dirt for subsequent wash-off.
I'll see if I can locate & post the link.

hi kamal,

i made that post. it was started by a guy called crem on audiogon. personally i found that visually the lps looked cleaner but sonically, not much difference. still have to clean and compare a few more to be sure. its a steam cleaner. palson nilo available on rediff shopping.

regards

its supposed to be safe. lots of guys on audiogon use steam cleaning in their routine now. in fact you can bring your hand pretty close to the steam without even feeling the heat.

any pointers on where i could find a carbon fibre brush for cleaning, in India?

DC-05.jpg

DC-305.jpg

btw...

gem-dandy.jpg

Hello Ashok,
I guess Prithvi in Absolute phase might help you in this regard. Just send him an email and he will reply you.Just click on the banner and it will direct you to their site.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Hello Stevieboy,
But I am happy to experiment since I found from the web ortofon cartridge they provided with the project is not very expensive so a few experiments can be done before finalising on the the bathing and listening experience.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

mahi, what's the price of the cartridge they gave with your Project? and can i see a pic of it, if it's not too much trouble??

Hello,
called up nova audio this evening. The guy over phone told me they don't have any antistatic brush in stock. Earliest possibility is 1.5 months.so need to explore other optins.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Hai all,

I recently cleaned my LPs with Lifebuoy hand wash liquid soap

1) First wetting the LP under running tap ( not the centre label),
2) then applying two drops liquid soap diametrically opposite on the LP
3) then worked up a good lather (takes about couple of minutes ) using a soft nylon fine bristled brush normally used for facial make-up. The strokes were made along the grooves,
4) Then after a few minutes washed under running water.
5) Dried the LP under a ceiling fan.

The result was pretty encouraging the sound was better than cleaning with Isopropyl alcohol.

Thanks,

N Murali.

hi murali,

you mean cleaning with lifebuoy and water is better than only with isopropyl alcohol or iso+water+soap?

regards

p.s: i'm thinking of trying out a mass bath for lps. dunking 10 or so at one time into a basin, soak em for couple of minutes and then scrub one by one and rinse. cleaning one by one takes so much time!!! :mad:

hi murali,

you mean cleaning with lifebuoy and water is better than only with isopropyl alcohol or iso+water+soap?

regards

p.s: i'm thinking of trying out a mass bath for lps. dunking 10 or so at one time into a basin, soak em for couple of minutes and then scrub one by one and rinse. cleaning one by one takes so much time!!! :mad:

Hai Stevieboy,

I am not claiming anything , just sharing a simple method here. By using Isopropyl alcohol prior to soap should give a much better results I suppose. Any way by using only soap , I have actually found the Clicks and crackles sound disappear considerably.

Thanks,

N Murali.

Last edited:
hi murali,

the intention was not to challenge you. there are so many ways of cleaning lps! :) my method also is one of the many that has been established by people who have experimented long long before me. so nothing new to be discovered :D

since you mentioned lifebuoy + water was better i wanted to know what exactly you found it better than... whether you were referring to better than cleaning with only iso alcohol? do clarify. cos i would think only isopropyl would not be sufficient to clean an lp. you'd definitely need a detergent.

regards

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back