Suggestion on bookshelf that pairs well with svs sb1000pro

How does one achieve proper time alignment?
Proper phase matching is possible even in situations where time alignment etc isn't possible using sophisticated dsp

Steps -

1) set crossover point on speakers and sub and set desired level for sub relative to the speakers.
2) play a test tone with the frequency matching that of the crossover point ( say 80hz ). ( you can find it on audiocheck website)
4) place a microphone at listening position( ear level ) {you can use a mobile spl app too, don't worry about having a perfect microphone as just reference is needed) ( avoid trusting your ears when you have a free microphone in your phone)
5) start fiddling with the phase knob.
6) set phase at the point where maximum SPL is recorded on the SPL app.
( Max spl at crossover frequency means the speakers and sub are in phase with each other)

There are other methods too, however in my experience this is pretty easy for anyone to do.

Selection of proper crossover frequency can be a topic for another post.

Hope this helps. When done correctly on a badly setup system this can make a HUGE difference.

I also have a minidsp SHD for subwoofer syncing, its claimed processing delay with max processes engaged was to the tune of 25ms if I remember right. When we convert that time into distance, it equates to 337 mtrs x 0.025 secs = 8.42 mtrs. So for optimum time alignment between the mains and the subwoofer, the sub woofer has to be closer to the listener than the main speakers by 8.42 mtrs. Which is impossible in a domestic environment, so the only solution is to delay the main speakers by 0.025 ms to align with the sub, if the sub is placed at the same distance from the listener as the main speakers. This will entail that the main speakers are also fed through the same DSP.
to time / distance / placement of sounds as the frequency increases. However, considering that the ear/brain loses directivity at 80hz. I would hazard a guess that if a sub is used below 80hz, then the resultant time delay might not be noticable.
The decrease in intensity of sound with distance whihc you get from google is in free space. In a household room, you have lot of reflections coming in all directions to your listening space and this intensity drop figure won’t be the same with distance. It’s impossible to guess this number and it’s not a good idea to use the general decrease calculation in this case.

what does the measurement at the listening spot show? Did you use a mic to measure what’s going on at your spot ?

The decrease in intensity of sound with distance whihc you get from google is in free space. In a household room, you have lot of reflections coming in all directions to your listening space and this intensity drop figure won’t be the same with distance. It’s impossible to guess this number and it’s not a good idea to use the general decrease calculation in this case.

what does the measurement at the listening spot show? Did you use a mic to measure what’s going on at your spot ?
Sorry, I didnt understand what you meant by decrease in intensity with space. And I didnt measure what I was getting, though in hindsight I should have to better understand the issue :p

Got my q acoustics concept 20 and sounds good with sub (even without sub). I feel concept 20 sync well with sub, I don't hear the second sound now.

Below are my idle ramblings on the subject, so please take it with a big bucket of salt :p. Besides, Iam no subwoofer user, so don't have any real experience with them.

I had severe bass problems in my small room. So i was using a Dspeaker Antimode 2.0 to correct the bass only on the bass driver of my 3 way speaker. This bass driver was handling frequencies below 300 hz, While the mids and tweeter were run directly without any DSP or processing. I was quiet pleased with the improvement. Then @drkrack happened to come over for a listen, and he identified this delay in the bass notes immediately. So, what I would gather is to use DSP over the entire range, so that mids and treble can be delayed to match the processing time of the bass. If this has to be avoided, then the second option is to have the subwoofer closer to the listening position than the main speakers, by the distance equivalent to the processing delay.

I also have a minidsp SHD for subwoofer syncing, its claimed processing delay with max processes engaged was to the tune of 25ms if I remember right. When we convert that time into distance, it equates to 337 mtrs x 0.025 secs = 8.42 mtrs. So for optimum time alignment between the mains and the subwoofer, the sub woofer has to be closer to the listener than the main speakers by 8.42 mtrs. Which is impossible in a domestic environment, so the only solution is to delay the main speakers by 0.025 ms to align with the sub, if the sub is placed at the same distance from the listener as the main speakers. This will entail that the main speakers are also fed through the same DSP.

Just when the above seemed correct mathematically, we get a googly in the form of psychoacoustics. As per experiments conducted, it takes the brain 50 ms to process a 40 hz sound wave. And it takes 40 ms for the 40hz sound wave to even form completely, emanating out of a driver. So, in relation to the 50ms that the brain takes, the 25 ms that the Minidsp SHD takes, pales into comparison, and will be un-noticable by the brain.

Why @drkrack noticed that processing delay in my setup, was because I was using the correction upto 300hz. And as we all know the ear/brain is more sensitive to time / distance / placement of sounds as the frequency increases. However, considering that the ear/brain loses directivity at 80hz. I would hazard a guess that if a sub is used below 80hz, then the resultant time delay might not be noticable.

The above said, we still experience disjointed bass when a sub woofer is used. When we look at why Rel insists on speaker level inputs, the main idea is that the bass driver in the speaker and the sub is receiving the same signal. When we mean same signal, it means signal same in phase. Both drivers move in the same direction at all times. This removal of phase error probably helps a great deal. Second is their advise against using a high pass for the speakers. But to run the speakers full range, and to blend the sub where the speakers naturally roll off to our ears ( Not to the microphone ). This again avoids two different sources of sound at the same frequency, so that they are not distinguishable as being separate sources of sound.

Hence, in my opinion, if a sub woofer is driven at 60hz or lower, at the correct phase, then it might not be identifiable despite the time delay. Would fondly look forward to the real world experiences of subwoofer users with their own findings.
Thankyou

Screenshot_2024-02-02-01-33-31-16_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Hi, I found the above note from marantz manual. So this means they say there won't be any delay issue when sub is connected using sub out. There won't be difference when compared with speakers level output?

Hi Expert,
Recently I purchased SVS SB1000pro, now I'm searching for a bookshelf speakers(budget <30k) that sync well with subwoofer. During my research I found wharfedale diamond 12.1 should sync well with sub. But still need suggestion from others.

My research is based on bookshelf with 5 inch woofer and lower frequency should be above 60hz so that sub can perform other duties, (subwoofer crossover will be set at 80hz). I'm currently having Norge 1000 (I put it on sale, but planned to withdraw it)

I also found q acoustics 3020i suits my requirements but I heard that is having distortion issue at high volumes.

Other than above mentioned speakers, Dali Oberon 1 and elac 5.2 are going little deeper in low frequency which may cause overlapping in frequencies. Experts needs your advice on this and will do audition based on that.
I had QAcoustics Concept 40. They were very bright & thin in midrange. High treble at high volume just sounds like distortion without actually being. We need not worry about distortion figures. I would suggest you get KEF LSX2

Back