Suggestion on how to connect eARC TV with old AV receiver

manindra.mukherjee

I have been going through this issue of an old Yamaha AVR( non HDCP compliant , HDMI 1.4 and ARC support) and the ARC doesnot work properly with the TV. Would request suggestion from FMs on what could be the most cost-effective yet feasible option to get this working. The idea is to get DD+/True HD when playing relevant content on TV / FS

Option 1 : Use Optical port from TV to AVR . Currently using now without any issue but for obvious reasons I donot get DD+. What difference in sound quality would a DD vs DD+ make apart from more number of channels that DD+ support. I donot have setup for experiencing Atmos neither I plan so in near future. Is there a way to get Dolby TrueHD via optical. I understand that its not possible

Option 2 : Use a eARC Audio extractor like this one (https://www.orei.com/products/earc-...0-support-hda-927?_pos=1&_sid=8957567e6&_ss=r) to pass only HD audio to my AVR. Has anybody used such audio extractor and whether this thing works as promised. I did see mixed review on the internet

Option 3 : Upgrade to eARC capable AVR. That would be the last thing i plan to do .

Any other viable option : Please feel free to suggest

I have been going through this issue of an old Yamaha AVR( non HDCP compliant , HDMI 1.4 and ARC support) and the ARC doesnot work properly with the TV. Would request suggestion from FMs on what could be the most cost-effective yet feasible option to get this working. The idea is to get DD+/True HD when playing relevant content on TV / FS

Option 1 : Use Optical port from TV to AVR . Currently using now without any issue but for obvious reasons I donot get DD+. What difference in sound quality would a DD vs DD+ make apart from more number of channels that DD+ support. I donot have setup for experiencing Atmos neither I plan so in near future. Is there a way to get Dolby TrueHD via optical. I understand that its not possible

Option 2 : Use a eARC Audio extractor like this one (https://www.orei.com/products/earc-...0-support-hda-927?_pos=1&_sid=8957567e6&_ss=r) to pass only HD audio to my AVR. Has anybody used such audio extractor and whether this thing works as promised. I did see mixed review on the internet

Option 3 : Upgrade to eARC capable AVR. That would be the last thing i plan to do .

Truehd is not possible via arc. Maximum you can get is Dolby digital+
eArc is needed to handle lossless audio.

I have not used any audio extractor devices and I am not aware of any loseless audio extractors in india. Most of the arc extractors on Amazon in india have an optical out which again won't even pass dd+ let alone truehd.

The link you shared might have a loseless audio extractor but I am not sure if it is available in india

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B094PPVKFL...abc_JY8C3GS7FST1NPPVFQMQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Found it on Amazon India. It's a bit pricey though.

What AV setup are you targeting? 3.1 or 5.1 or 5.1.2 or something else.

Also, what are the other devices that are attached to TV?

Its important to understand those aspects as well.

If you are ok with 3.1 and have space issues, I suggest you explore a good eARC enabled sound bar.

I was in a similar situation like yours, I decided to go for a 5.1.2 setup and changed everything from speakers, subwoofer to AVR.

There is no difference in sound quality between Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus. Its only an increase in channels and will matter only if you want to go >5.1 and include Atmos.

You are right, True HD won't be output via Optical. Does it really matter? How much content that you stream carries True HD or DTS HD Master? I would not worry too much about this.

You've got everything setup right. Don't waste money on a AVR just to see those letters True HD pop up on the display. I'd go down that road when the time comes to do a complete revamp of your sound system.

Thanks all for suggestion. I have decided not to invest any more as long as the AVR is working fine. I have a 3.1 setup which I plan to augment to 5.1 by adding a pair of surround speakers shortly. DD is working fine and I was unable to figure our any sound difference when compared to DD+. Fortunately DD is working perfectly fine when using FS and TV in passthru mode via ARC.

As far as TrueHD and losless codecs are concerned , I realized that both Netflix and Prime have only have lossy codecs . Even Atmos is delivered encoded in DD+.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back