Suggestions for 7.2.4 subwoofers (Budget details inside)

Divyam

Hi all,

I am planning to build a dedicated HT with a 7.2.4 setup. My room size is 21 ft x 15 ft x 9 ft. I will use the room for movies, music and games (33% each)

I am a bit new with this, but I have been researching a lot!

Per my research, I have finalized the following:

1) Projector - JVC DLA-NX7 - Rs. 6 lacs approx

2) Screen - 4K 130' 16:9 Acoustically Transparent Fixed screen (Either Silver Ticket, Screen Innovations or Elite Screens) - Rs. 2 lacs approx

3) Receiver - 9.2 Ch Denon or Marantz with a 2-channel power amp - Rs. 2 lacs approx

4) Cabling - Monoprice/AmazonBasics - Rs. 50k approx

5) Speakers - I was looking at Klipsch, KEF, SVS, Goldenear (research is still pending on this) - Rs. 6 lacs approx is my budget for the same. I am planning to hide the LCR speakers behind the screen and have the rest as floorstanding for surround and in ceiling for Atmos.

Now coming to subwoofers, I have found out the following:

1) My budget for the subwoofers is Rs. 2 lacs approx

2) For the room space I would need 2 subwoofers.

3) Sealed vs Ported – I think Ported, as I listen to EDM, Rock more

4) 12’ subs would be proper for the space

5) Brands I was looking at SVS, Revel and Klipsch

My questions are:

1) Is my budget allocation to the various components correct?

2) Are 2 subwoofers plenty? I was looking at the SVS PB 2000 or the Revel B1 it’s for Rs. 70k so I can afford 3 also. Would that be overkill and should I rather spend on speakers?

3) Is ported better than sealed in my case? Space is not an issue

4) Would 12’ subs be the right size?

5) Passive Radiators – Do I need this function?

Any suggestions would be welcome. I am open to other brands also, or any other setup style that would fit a 7.2.4 system.

My primary aim is to control cost, I don't have a budget as such but I really do not want to spend unnecessarily also.

I am happy to provide any further details if required. Thanks in advance.

Take amazon basic cables out of your option. Monoprice is a better choice. If willing to spend more for cables you can check QED and Mogami as well. Avr you can check Denon 4500 and marantz 7013. For sub woofer you can first try with a dual set up this way you can go for two high quality subwoofers. If you get tower speakers they them self will produce a lot of bass. You can also add Rythmik nd xtz to the list of subwoofers. Try to have demo of all brands. Cause all speakers will have a different sound signature and you have to judge and buy rather then asking for opinions which is better. Sealed vs ported short answer is ported is preferred for movies as they are loud and go low and sealed for music as they provide tighter bass. But since you are going dual you can very well go for two high end ported subs. IMO go for dual 12 inch

Thanks!

Take amazon basic cables out of your option. Monoprice is a better choice. If willing to spend more for cables you can check QED and Mogami as well. Avr you can check Denon 4500 and marantz 7013. For sub woofer you can first try with a dual set up this way you can go for two high quality subwoofers. If you get tower speakers they them self will produce a lot of bass. You can also add Rythmik nd xtz to the list of subwoofers. Try to have demo of all brands. Cause all speakers will have a different sound signature and you have to judge and buy rather then asking for opinions which is better. Sealed vs ported short answer is ported is preferred for movies as they are loud and go low and sealed for music as they provide tighter bass. But since you are going dual you can very well go for two high end ported subs. IMO go for dual 12 inch

Thank you! I will check out Rythmik and XTZ and demo the same. Dual 12 inch was what I was hoping for :)

Thank you! I will check out Rythmik and XTZ and demo the same. Dual 12 inch was what I was hoping for :)
In xtz check SUB 1X12 which is a THX certified sub and the 12.17 edge. I have the 10.17 version for audition and running tests. It is punchy and powerful. The SUB 1X12 and 12.17 should be way better then the 10.17. They have a lot of calibration options available. The svs pb 2000 is sold for 97k and you cant get it for 70k

Hi all,

I am planning to build a dedicated HT with a 7.2.4 setup. My room size is 21 ft x 15 ft x 9 ft. I will use the room for movies, music and games (33% each)

2) Screen - 4K 130' 16:9 Acoustically Transparent Fixed screen (Either Silver Ticket, Screen Innovations or Elite Screens) - Rs. 2 lacs approx

3) Receiver - 9.2 Ch Denon or Marantz with a 2-channel power amp - Rs. 2 lacs approx

5) Speakers - I was looking at Klipsch, KEF, SVS, Goldenear (research is still pending on this) - Rs. 6 lacs approx is my budget for the same. I am planning to hide the LCR speakers behind the screen and have the rest as floorstanding for surround and in ceiling for Atmos.

My questions are:

2) Are 2 subwoofers plenty? I was looking at the SVS PB 2000 or the Revel B1 it’s for Rs. 70k so I can afford 3 also. Would that be overkill and should I rather spend on speakers?

Any suggestions would be welcome. I am open to other brands also, or any other setup style that would fit a 7.2.4 system.

My primary aim is to control cost, I don't have a budget as such but I really do not want to spend unnecessarily also.

Well thumb rule is never reveal your actual budget to the dealer...if purchasing online, ensure proper manufacturer warranty is there and not dealer warranty........

Speak to Daruis from Total Home Theatres.....(Nariman Point) he can work out a good deal for you based on your wish list. Alternatively reach out to other dealers you may know and check the rates warranty and see who works best for you!

Hi all,

My questions are:

With that budget.
I would go for 4 subwoofers ( that's not for power its for smooth bass response) .
Av processor and power amplifier

You might have to rethink the budgeting.

Hi.
My personal choice would be the SVS.
Two subs would be perfect.

But if you’re going with Klipsch for the speakers then you could even think of the 2 X Klipsch R115 to match the whole setup. The last time I checked it was available at about 95k at Bangalore Klipsch dealer. These are huge at 15" ported subs and they sound amazing and look lovely too.

Please do allocate part of your budget to soundproofing and acoustics. :)

And as mentioned by @ONEMANARMY Soundproofing should be on top of your list. Cheers!

sound isolation for better dynamic range. This should be done only when you are sure that other components won't make noise above 30db.

Components like AC, projector etc.

Sound proofing to make sure others aren't disturbed.( If needed )

Acoustics for good sound.

As your usage included 33% gaming . Use surrounds with single Tweeter and not bipole/dipole surrounds.

Hope this helps.

I dont think you need to spend 50k on speaker cables. If possible, import BlueJean Cables from US. They are reasonably priced and very good. I have the 12AWG BJC so i know they are good.
and if you spend lot of time over movies then definitely spend well for the subwoofers. SVS PB2000, XTZ12.17 edge and Klipsch R115sw are in the same league. SVS will have its advantage around 20hz range and XTZ and Klipsch will have their advantage above 30hz. so you can choose according to your preference. Svs will shake everything and XTZ and Klipsch will hit you on the face . But the XTZ is highly tunable. It has Port tuning option, 3 Equalizer presets and also a Parametric equaliser, so the XTZ is the best of the 3 IMHO. And also the XTZ edge comes with 5 year warranty. Hope the SVS provide just 1 year warranty in India, and so is Klipsch. Like one of our friend suggested, Seaton 12" subwoofers are great too, but it will cost you a lot more than the 3 subs mentioned above, but Mark do know how to make the best sounding subwoofers. Seaton Subs are in a league of its own. SVS or Rythmik cant match the sound quality of the Seatons and thats just my opinion.
Don't over spend on the room acoustics. It will be enough if you use acoustic panels on the 1st reflection point and behind the speakers. and if the Bass is boomy then you can use some bass traps on the 4 corners.
For power amp, consider the Emotiva XPA range and for AV Receivers, Marantz 6013 or the 7012 or 13 may serve well. The new Nad 777AV Receivers have Dirac live, which is considered by many as better caliboration tool than audyssey xt32.

For that budget and taking into account these are going behind an AT screen, I'd also suggest considering the JBL LSR 708P for the mains and matching JBL's for surrounds. JTR's are another phenomenal value for money brand. My recommendation for your consideration would be the Noesis line.

Invest on better quality speakers. Do consider better Acoustics for rooms.
If budget and space permits go for a quad subs which will be worth for better smooth room response ( may be keep as an option for future ) .
If possible ,Also consider REW and minidsp for better Bass Management .
Limit ur budget for cables ( 50k is huge I feel) . Invest on good cables but not on high pricey cables as I heard and reviews from audioholics, most of high end audio cables are snake oil. ( Even a gold wire may cost less than an high end audio cable ).

Where as Subwoofers are concerned, I currently have the SVS PC 2000 cylinder subwoofer. My room size is 14ft length & 11 feet widht & height. The PC 2000 provides more than adequate bass in the room effortlessly without sounding boomy, overbearing & without taking much floor space. But the height of the PC 2000 is 34 inches. It sounds beautiful for 2 channel music & powerful for movies. You can also check the reviews of SVS PC 2000 on AVSForum by Mark Henninger. THe new SVS 3000 series is also supposed to be good with new 13 inch drivers. You can buy one & then decide if you need another one. Rel, Hsu, PSA & Rhythmic are other good brands.
For receivers you can consider Nad, Marantz/Denon or Arcam.
For surround Speakers Dali, Dynaudio, Focal, Mission, Tannoy, Klipsh, KEF
If you are in Mumbai you can purchase it from Alliance Four Audio, Goregoan west, , contact person Mr. Kadam . From Delhi the SVS dealer is Mr. Samay/Arjun, Audiophile India.
All the best.

Well all your selection are good and you can very well go ahead. I would like to suggest few other products you can consider. For sub-woofers you can also consider XTZ, Rythmik. For in wall and ceiling speakers you can also consider the Dali phantom series. And also you can plan for separates rather then avr. Good luck with your search

Hi

I have a brand new Denon 4500 with Klipsch RP 8000F and R 115SW sub. Just a wrong purchase. My requirement is 2 channel only. As good as just out of the box. Of you consider this you may bag a good deal.

Back