Suggestions for a 5 Lakh + system

YourBoss

Looking to equip my family home with a home theater. primary use for movies. System needs to be simple so my 60+ dad can use it. Got a budget of 5-6 lakhs for it. Would love suggestions. Should I go for a 60" TV or or a projecter. my sense would be:
1.5-2L on TV/ DLP
50-60 k on amp
2.5-3L on speakers.
All coupled witha harmony 1 remote...
what do you good people think?

Do you have a separate budget for room interiors and room acoustics? Simple acoustics would go a long way in improving you sound for full enjoyment.

Cheers

Looking to equip my family home with a home theater. primary use for movies. System needs to be simple so my 60+ dad can use it. Got a budget of 5-6 lakhs for it. Would love suggestions. Should I go for a 60" TV or or a projecter. my sense would be:
1.5-2L on TV/ DLP
50-60 k on amp
2.5-3L on speakers.

Trim your TV costs to less than 1 lac. Use the reminder of hte money to get a good pre processor and a power amp. Once you decide on the speakers for a decent 5 or 7 channel setup invest in a good DVD player or BR player. Use the reminder for room treatments. YOu have tons of options for getting some class equipment for that kind of money. The only things needed are time and patience and you will pick a system up that you can keep for a while.

Drop harmony 1 as the remote. Get the 659 model its great and does a phenomenol job and the button layout and feel is the best amongst all of them.

What are the listening choices and viewing choices?

In your budget you should look for the following option:
1. A projector is must if you are eying the true cinema experience and in your budget look for Panasonic Pt AE3000 which is around 1.5 L.
2. Rather than an AVR try going for separates from the likes of NAD, Rotel, and Marantz. They range around 2 L. any thing less than this would not justify rest of your setup.
3. Speakers: Audition with the AVR combo and then decide on it, few eg. to audition:
Dali Ikon 6 Series around 2 L
Monitor Audio Silver Series.
Mordount Short Mezzo Series 2L
Polk Audio Rti A series with RTIA9 as the Tower, you could also look at the Lsi series from the same company.
B&W 6 series with 684 as the fronts
4. For the Source you could go in with Oppo BDP83 universal disk player which would solve all your disk specific needs including a decent CD player and Blu Ray player, around 25K
5.Remaing budget for the Servo, and wires which are equally important.
6. Don't go in for harmony 1 remote which is simply a waste of money you could find the same sort of experience from their lower range of remotes with touch screen experience.Even a 525 would suffice your needs here as it also has Pre Programme Buttons through which you can programme all your AV gear so that it operates with 1 single press of a button.

Last edited:
Can you pl tell us your room size,
Where are going to install the set up i.e Living room, bed room or a dedicated room.
Have you heard any thing that you've liked?
All the best
Cheers
1.5-2L on TV/ DLP
50-60 k on amp
2.5-3L on speakers.

Wha about source - DVD player or other?
Your location please?

You can buy 2 displays 1 FHD 42" LCD or plasma & 1 Decent Projector ( 720 P or above)
TV will give u instant booting and Projector will give yo nmence size

If have any connections in Us try to procure 1080 P projector whic now starts from 1000 US $

also have a decent ( say upto 25 k )budget for cables

My checklist will be

1) TV
2) Projector
3) Screen
4) DVD/Blu- ray player
5) AV Receiver
6) Speakers
7) HDMI Cables
8) Speakers
9) Other Gadget 1 - Ipod
10) I Pod Dock
11) Other Gadget 2 - WDTV/ x streamer/ O!Play/NMT

Anyway shemaroo had 65" FHD panasonic Display - around 3.5 to 4 L, you can ask for deal with AVR & Speakers....

2)

Drop harmony 1 as the remote. Get the 659 model its great and does a phenomenol job and the button layout and feel is the best amongst all of them.

What are the listening choices and viewing choices?

sorry for hijacking this thread but whats the cost on these remotes marsilians

Can you pl tell us your room size,
Where are going to install the set up i.e Living room, bed room or a dedicated room.
Have you heard any thing that you've liked?
All the best
Cheers

Its a dedicated room. Creating the false ceiling et all. The room is about 18ft by 12ft

Heard the B&W 684 and quite liked them. Will listen to the Dali Ikon6 this weekend.

Possibly zero in on the Optoma with either one of these speaker combos.
Thinking of the new Denon 2309 to drive this

This is for a set up in Pune..

Its a dedicated room. Creating the false ceiling et all. The room is about 18ft by 12ft

Heard the B&W 684 and quite liked them. Will listen to the Dali Ikon6 this weekend.

If you liked the B&W 684 based setup then its best to go with Rotel AVR 1500 series as B&W pairs well with Rotel. Don't buy your speakers and amp without its matching and then decide on the final setup.

For Projector need Optoma is a good choise. But for the AVR I would ask you to go for something better then 2309, could be 3809 or 4309 as 2309 won't be able to handle the power requirements of the 684.

The kind of AVR you are looking at are basically compromise setups as they have all the bells and wishes to please the users but the main thing is the power supply which is shared between the video and audio processor so the end result is not the best.Thats why I pointed out towards the separates.
But if thats not the route you want to take then buy a regular AVR on the likes of Denon 2309,Marantz 6003, yahama 663, Onkyo 706, so that it has pre out for the future upgrade in adding a power amp to your setup.

Mr Boss,
I would advice you to not have a POP false celing, as it is not the best solution as far as acoustics is concerned.

Decide on your amp only after you select your spks. For B&W my first choice of an amp would be an arcam but sadly it's very exp.

You should also look at infocus projectors, I feel they have better colours.

Since you've liked the B&W you should try the Monitor audio's.
Would like to hear your comparision between the B&W & dali.
All the best
Cheers.

for a ht system i dont really like warm amps. something more neutral is nice. i think someone else also suggested the rotel. it pairs well with the b&w's and its a good match. did you look at other speaker brands as well

Have read great reviews on the Cadence...went and checked them out. Very impressed with the stereo sound, though my primary requirement is for movies. but hey its from Pune my hometown and so it gives me a real reason to buy them over the B&Ws.

Does anyone own Cadence speakers which they use for movies.
Also not very impressed with the aesthetics...

Have read great reviews on the Cadence...went and checked them out. Very impressed with the stereo sound, though my primary requirement is for movies. but hey its from Pune my hometown and so it gives me a real reason to buy them over the B&Ws.

I have Cadence Avita with VA1 amp for stereo. They do the duty of main channels of my HT rig too in a 24 x 17 room. I am more into 2 channel music but i also love watching movies and am quite happy with my present set up.

Stereo:
Cadence VA1 Amp
Cadence Avita speakers (used as stereo as well as main front for HT)
Arcam Cd192 CDP
Project RPM4 TT with Sumiko Pearl and Shure 97xE Cart.
Project Phono Box SE
IC - Siltech London ( cdp to amp), VDH 102 (from TT to Phono) & Siltech London ( from Phono to amp)
Speaker Cables - JPS Labs Ultraconductor (biwire)
Power Cables - Siltech Berlin

Home Theatre:
Yamaha RXV596 Receiver (using for centre & surround)
Cadence Avita & VA1 for Main Channels
Cambridge Audio DV99 DVDP
Hitachi PD9500 42" HD Ready Plasma
Cadence Arita (Shielded)- Centre Channel
Klipsh RS-III - Surround
Paradigm PS-1000 Sub
Siltech Stockholm - Digital Coax
Cambridge Audio HDMI Cable
VDH 102 (from Receiver Cadence)
VDH Royal Jade for centre speaker
Power Cables - Siltech Berlin and DAC

Zephyr Power Conditioner
All equipments on Vibrapods

DIY:
Acoustic Panels made with 4 layers of 2" Glasswool covered with polyster batting and then finished with markin and hessian cloth.

How about CS2.3

You can hear these in Mumbai itself, though not in a HT setting, but still you should get a good idea :D

cheers

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back