Suggestions for a Budget HT System

abk1980

Hi,
I am looking for an audio / HT system to go with a 47" TV that I am buying.

My requirements are primarily to listen to music (90%) from TV / STB or from my phone / laptop via Wifi/LAN/Bluetooth, and also to watch movies - mostly downloaded form the net. The TV I am buying will be DLNA compliant, and I may add an Xbox to the mix at a later point of time.
Space is a constraint - I do not want anything big. Looks are also important. The room size is 15' x 15'.
We are not big audiophiles but I want to buy something that can last. As of now, I hope to cap my expenses at 25k for the audio setup.
After a bit of reading on the net, I realized that I should concentrate on getting a good set of speakers, probably start with a pair of book-shelves + woofer (a 2.1 system?).

Initially I was tempted to go for either Polk Audio RM6750 + Denon XV 500 package (60k @ Pro FX) or NR1504 + BA XS 5.1 + DVD player (56k at Reliance Digital). My wife and I loved the Polk speakers when we took a demo, while Reliance had some problems because of which we couldn't get a demo there. But budget considerations took over.

Any suggestions on what should I go for? I do not have a separate budget for an AVR.

Boston Soundware XS Digital Cinema 2.1 looks tempting to me. Its not available at Croma anymore though.

Hi

The Reliance deal is good....best VFM and you will not regret it. If budget is a constraint, you could perhaps look at entry level AVRs + speakers from Pioneer or Yamaha or Denon.

If you are open to pre owned, there are some good deals with excellent systems being sold on HifiAds and other online classified websites..you may just get lucky and get something at a bargain...you can also refer to Sale by Owner section on HFV...

All the best...end of the day, it is what appeals to you in budget, features and performance...all the best!

efernand1, thanks for the inputs. I guess will try and get a second hand AVR. and then buy speakers along side. Or delay the purchase till I am willing to spend more.

Hi I found today that the XS 2.1 Digital Cinema is available at Croma. Plan to check it out tomorrow!
One question: Can I use it in future with an AVR? And convert the setup into a 5.1 by adding the 3 additional speakers?

Hi

The sole purpose of the Powered Cinema series speakers is to enhance the output of any LCD / LED / Plasma which has little or bad sound....these 2.1 speakers add the virtual dolby experience providing the enveloped sound effects. These speakers are also used by Computer users to enhance the gaming experience and spatialism.

If the subwoofer has a LFE input port, it can be used as a powered subwoofer on any AVR. The possible challenge you may face is the auto on mode when a signal is received from the AVR. My guess is that there would not be an LFE input and hence cannot use the same on an AVR as it is designed to perform standalone 2.1 experience.

The satellites are speakers and regardless can be connected to an AVR having power rating of 10w - 75w RMS at 8 ohms load. You can then add additional speakers and complete the setup.

I would suggest that you consider investing in an AVR + 5.1 speakers now itself rather than purchasing a 2.1 powered speakers then trying to use the same on an avr + add another 3 speakers later. You may just end up spending more........

For starters, purchase an AVR either new or pre owned and add a pair of bookshelf speakers....if you are inclined for a compact size like Bose Acoustic Mass speakers...consider the Bostons Soundware speakers...available in 2.1 or 5.1....There are lot of pre owned deals on HiFi ads and other websites...check the model and features and then take a call to purchase

There are other brands like Yamaha / Pioneer / Denon / Harmon Kardon...which you can audition at a Vijay Sales / Croma and take a decision.....obvious experience with a Boston + Marantz is a different league altogether and am sure you would not look at anything else...all the best...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back