Suggestions for a CD player

skroderider

I'm looking for suggestions for a CD player (SACD or USB capabilities not required) within a budget of 30k. I can probably stretch it a bit but not too much.
Some brands I looked at online and in HFV threads are Denon and Yamaha but most are out of my budget. I don't have anyone who can carry one from abroad at the moment, so I'm stuck with Indian prices. Cambridge Audio seems another possibility.

Marantz of course is well regarded, but I'm hesitant given its reported history of running into issues every few years (source: HFV threads). I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

My amp is a Norge 2060, with Wharfedale 225 speakers. Thanks in advance.

marantz cd 6006 is a very good and fit your budget easily.. and most important thing its lens or cd machinasam still available in the market.

I'm looking for suggestions for a CD player (SACD or USB capabilities not required) within a budget of 30k. I can probably stretch it a bit but not too much.
Some brands I looked at online and in HFV threads are Denon and Yamaha but most are out of my budget. I don't have anyone who can carry one from abroad at the moment, so I'm stuck with Indian prices. Cambridge Audio seems another possibility.

Marantz of course is well regarded, but I'm hesitant given its reported history of running into issues every few years (source: HFV threads). I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Marantz CD 6006 which is well reviewed & would fit in your budget . If you could stretch a little more to Rs. 44,000/-, you could order the Marantz CD 6006 UK edition from Amazon.co.uk which is more fine tuned & has got excellent reviews. It sounds great with vocals & instruments & is more organic sounding than digital. I had posted my impressions on it in the CD forum section but professional reviews are there on What Hifi & other sites. You could also check user reviews on Amazon UK site.

Marantz CD 6006 which is well reviewed & would fit in your budget . If you could stretch a little more to Rs. 44,000/-, you could order the Marantz CD 6006 UK edition from Amazon.co.uk which is more fine tuned & has got excellent reviews. It sounds great with vocals & instruments & is more organic sounding than digital. I had posted my impressions on it in the CD forum section but professional reviews are there on What Hifi & other sites. You could also check user reviews on Amazon UK site.
marantz cd 6006 is a very good and fit your budget easily.. and most important thing its lens or cd machinasam still available in the market.

Thanks for the suggestions. The 6006 UK edition is over my budget.

In general I would prefer to have a hassle free, "hardy" player, and the Marantz does not sound like that, even if it has superior sound quality. I got this impression based on what other FMs have written -

Any suggestions for Denon and Yamaha?

Thanks for the suggestions. The 6006 UK edition is over my budget.

In general I would prefer to have a hassle free, "hardy" player, and the Marantz does not sound like that, even if it has superior sound quality. I got this impression based on what other FMs have written -

Any suggestions for Denon and Yamaha?

Hi skroderider, most welcome.
No issues if the UK Edition is over the budget. The standard Marantz cd 6006 if at all you are interested in buying at 30 K seems to be sold out at HIfi Mart but you can have a word with Mr. Anil for future availability. He is a very accommodating person & will guide you well . Worst case scenario you can buy it from MZ Audio dealers for Marantz.
So far on my Marantz CD 6006, no issues pertaining to skipping or reading CD's. It does not play Sacd & Flac files. Although the manual says it plays wav files but it didn't play when I tested it with a wav file from Soundcloud. It reads scratched cd's without any issues & has a robust build. My other choices were Cambridge audio, nad, Pioneer , Teac & Arcam (beyond my budget).
I have no experience with Denon or Yamaha but I wanted a warm & organic sounding CD player with with a USB port & I am happy with it.

You can have a word with audio planet if they send to Hyderabad if CA fits in the budget with logistics.

Pls be wary of buying electronics from Flipkart, Amazon.in & com since a lot of electronics sold online are at US voltage 120 volts.
In case if you are interested in used ones then there are cambridge audio, Rotel, Onkyo & Nad available on OLX. But pls check carefully regarding its working & payment part.

Hi skroderider, most welcome.
No issues if the UK Edition is over the budget. The standard Marantz cd 6006 if at all you are interested in buying at 30 K seems to be sold out at HIfi Mart but you can have a word with Mr. Anil for future availability. He is a very accommodating person & will guide you well . Worst case scenario you can buy it from MZ Audio dealers for Marantz.
So far on my Marantz CD 6006, no issues pertaining to skipping or reading CD's. It does not play Sacd & Flac files. Although the manual says it plays wav files but it didn't play when I tested it with a wav file from Soundcloud. It reads scratched cd's without any issues & has a robust build. My other choices were Cambridge audio, nad, Pioneer , Teac & Arcam (beyond my budget).
I have no experience with Denon or Yamaha but I wanted a warm & organic sounding CD player with with a USB port & I am happy with it.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Good to know you you did not face any issues.

In case if you are interested in used ones then there are cambridge audio, Rotel, Onkyo & Nad available on OLX. But pls check carefully regarding its working & payment part.
Definitely. I usually avoid OLX for electronics.

I'll be visiting Mumbai in early Jan next year. Any recommendations for physical stores where I can look at Denon/Yamaha CD players? I found a few like Audiomaxx, Keihifi on Google.

I'll be visiting Mumbai in early Jan next year. Any recommendations for physical stores where I can look at Denon/Yamaha CD players? I found a few like Audiomaxx, Keihifi on Google.
never go just by a couple of bad reviews i bought my marantz cd6004 in mid 2011 and with regular usage of daily at the minimal 1hr it has never given me any issues not even a single time! so i would say marantz is quite a reliable brand.

never go just by a couple of bad reviews i bought my marantz cd6004 in mid 2011 and with regular usage of daily at the minimal 1hr it has never given me any issues not even a single time! so i would say marantz is quite a reliable brand.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I would probably not be using it even that much.

Why not buy a locally available DVD/BD Player with SPDIF out and hook it up to a good Dac. an entry level DVD Player is 3K, and that leaves you a good budget for a really nice DAC

Hi..
You can try for Marantz cd5005 player. See the link below.

Hi..
You can try for Marantz cd5005 player. See the link below.

Hi Subhashis, thanks. I would prefer going for a new one. I think the 5005 is available for 21k on Hifimart.

Hi Subhashis, thanks. I would prefer going for a new one. I think the 5005 is available for 21k on Hifimart.

Hi Skroderder,

Preeti global(Mob Mr. Placid+91 99201 44432/022 2610 8820) in Mumbai, Santacruz west are the official dealers for Denon/Accuphase). They can get the cd players in the attachment in case if you are interested.
There is an official Denon dealer in Banglore called Profx tech on the Denon dealer list too.

Attachments

• IMG-20191212-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20191212-WA0002.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 38
Hi Skroderder,

Preeti global(Mob Mr. Placid+91 99201 44432/022 2610 8820) in Mumbai, Santacruz west are the official dealers for Denon/Accuphase). They can get the cd players in the attachment in case if you are interested.
There is an official Denon dealer in Banglore called Profx tech on the Denon dealer list too.

Thanks so much, Nitin, for this effort.

Folks, I finally ended up with the Marantz 6006. Thank you for all the suggestions and help.

I'll share my impressions after trying it out for a few months.

Folks, I finally ended up with the Marantz 6006. Thank you for all the suggestions and help.

I'll share my impressions after trying it out for a few months.

Congratulations skroderider, its a great player in its segment. If you are not using a separate dac then better to use a rca connect to the receiver & use the CD player's dac.

Congratulations skroderider, its a great player in its segment. If you are not using a separate dac then better to use a rca connect to the receiver & use the CD player's dac.

Thank you. I'm not using an external DAC, so it's connected directly to my amp.

Dac will be a better option if u think the sound is digital. In this player cirrus chips are for used for analog conversion. It is decent but when u use Dac noise floor will be much reduced with instrument separation.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back