Suggestions for a new Home theatre setup

Now thats a hot take! In a forum where sound quality REIGNS SUPREME, what other factors led to the R200 being the right speaker for you?
I am not an audiophile and definitely not someone who has listened to multiple speakers/setups

Although I liked the neutral KEF Q350s vocals and tone , I liked how the R200s sounded when I was playing the kind of music I listen to , they had the kind of bass I liked which was not the case in KEFs

Plus aesthetically, I like separate tweeter and Woofer design of Polk over the KEFs

All these are my personal opinions and again I’m really new to all this and not someone who can analyse sound , just liked the speakers based on how good the speakers played the kind of music I mostly listen to

Having said that, the most cost effective solution is to simply keep it on top of the unit instead of inside the shelf. My AVR (Marantz SR6013 requires a clearance of 45cm including cables.

At the most, the front fascia will stick out a bit (by approx 5 cm) but the feet will be firmly grounded. If you can make your peace with that, you may possibly be losing out on that last bit of aesthetic symmetry/perfection but you would be gaining a whole lot experience wise. Unless of course, the experience includes a righteous earful from the missus... or worse!

Nevertheless, it will also be the better solution insofar as heat management and longevity of your AVR is concerned as opposed to the shelves which are closed from all directions except the front (not that the shelves were an option in the first place).

Top of the Cabinet is 40cm in depth, but I am not sure if the AVR would fit in.
I am ok with the front fascia sticking out a bit as long as the feet are planted well and no risk of AVR falling down.

However cannot purchase an AVR only to realise even the feet of AVR won’t fit after adding HDMI and speaker cables , not having the option to modify the tv unit adds up to this concern

BTW I was looking at AVRs like Yamaha RX A2A or A4A OR Denon x3700H depending on availability n good deal

However cannot purchase an AVR only to realise even the feet of AVR won’t fit after adding HDMI and speaker cables , not having the option to modify the tv unit adds up to this concern
You could place the AVR on the top of the cabinet. It might fit with the feet protruding just a bit. AVR's sit very firm so the chances of it falling is vey low.

Update:

Please suggest if anything else can be done to overcome this hurdle
As per your Cabinet picture attached, You have lot of space under TV + right end of your cabinet.
You can keep the AVR there, your AVR will love it because the more open room AVR will have less heat issues.

You can cover it with cloth - when not used for long time. Otherwise just wipe it with cloth occasionally.

Other option is to get audio rack which would cost 25k +.

Suggestions. On one of the shelves or on the top surface install glass which has width required for the AVR. Unless you have very small kids who can bump into it, it should look quite ok asthetically. Secure with good quality double edge tape ? Or just 4 holes with mirror screws. Hopefully not a big issue for the owner…

As per your Cabinet picture attached, You have lot of space under TV + right end of your cabinet.
You can keep the AVR there, your AVR will love it because the more open room AVR will have less heat issues.

You can cover it with cloth - when not used for long time. Otherwise just wipe it with cloth occasionally.

Other option is to get audio rack which would cost 25k +.
Yeah there is lot of space on the cabinet width wise, Problem is the depth of the cabinet is just 40cm on top

Audio rack or any additional cabinets/tables cannot be accommodated due to space constraints

Suggestions. On one of the shelves or on the top surface install glass which has width required for the AVR. Unless you have very small kids who can bump into it, it should look quite ok asthetically. Secure with good quality double edge tape ? Or just 4 holes with mirror screws. Hopefully not a big issue for the owner…
My 2yr niece comes home often and she already bumps into a lot of things, Had to baby proof all edges in the house . That's also a reason why I am not readily going for glass or wood that can extend outside of my cabinet.

I am trying to get an approximation on how many inches/cms AVR would occupy from back wall till it's front feet, when speaker and hdmi cables are installed. Based on this I am hoping to decide whether I can go ahead with the AVR or not.

Currently trying to get this details from owners of Denon and Yamaha AVRs, specifically for X3700H/X4700H and RX A4A models

Anybody owning these AVR models, please share the details if possible, it would really help me decide.

On a side note , I am also thinking of placing the AVR turned sideways on top of the cabinet , but that could also have challenges with width of the AVRs

Thanks , Sound bars are an option but I do not really like the concept of all the channels packed into one piece plus I do not really like wireless speakers especially the ones that need to be recharged

That’s the problem , I do not own this place so not intending to do any modifications
Ok understood, you can then place AVR, by placing a Glass self (as per the depth required for placing an AVR), Glass shelf will not change the look of your TV cabinet, and will provide necessary space to place your AVR, minimum 12mm Glass is required.
I hope this will solve your concern.
AVR and wired speakers are the best, as against wireless speakers.
I have taken demo of JBL 9.1, specially wanted dolby atmos, the detachable surround stallites of the sound bar can be placed anywhere as per your liking, but the stallites have to be charged by attaching it to the soundbar, that will depend upon your duration of usage, so it may depend upon how often you will need recharge the stallites.
Also the stallites in JBL 9.2 have dedicated upfiring drivers to give Dolby Atmos feel.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions, I finally bought the following setup :

AVR - Yamaha Aventage RX A4A

LR speakers - Polk Audio Reserve 200

For the cabinet depth issue, AVR depth is 37.7 cm and with HDMI cables it comes up to around 45-46 cms.

Top of the cabinet is just 40cm , front fascia and about 2mm of the AVR feet are floating , but still the AVR is firmly placed and I don’t think it’s going anywhere

I did not expect the AVR to be so heavy , but it’s really well built and sturdy

Anyways to be on safer side , have bought 12mm tempered glass to place on top of cabinet and will place the AVR on it

Sound Quality for both Music and Movies are really Good , my father is in love with music quality and is enjoy listening to his favourite songs , mission accomplished for me 🙂

Yamaha and Polk R200s are sounding so good together with a lot of clarity and clean tight bass

Thanks to Spotify and Apple Music for providing so much content old to new all in lossless and/or Hi-Res formats

Next step before adding other speakers , I am planning to add a DAC for my iPhone to play lossless Hi-Res tracks
Looking at VFM DACs like FIIO but not decided yet

Attachments

• 8DCDD25B-0535-4F8B-AE83-1CC00774EEBC.jpeg
    8DCDD25B-0535-4F8B-AE83-1CC00774EEBC.jpeg
    508.4 KB · Views: 42
Can you give the details of the price/shop you bought them in B'lore ?
I am looking to replace my broken Maranz NR1402.
Polk speakers I bought them from Profx Bangalore @55k

I had plans to use them with a pre owned Yamaha Integrated amp , but just a casual visit to The Home cinema store while visiting my friends in Electronic City I got the Yamaha Aventage RX A4A @ 1.42L

I got the last one in their stock and they were the only dealer who had the Yamaha AVR in stock

Yamaha AVRs are not available at all, reaching out to their South India sales head, he mentioned AVRs won’t be in stock atleast till November

I have always wanted a good home theater setup which good for movies and also for music(occasionally)

Living in an apartment with living room of dimensions 12ft x 12ft , I do not want to opt for floor standing speakers

First plan was to go with a satellite speaker package like Polk TL 1600 or Klipsch Reference 5.0 home theater package

But after reading about these speaker packages one thing I understood is that even though they might be good for movies, they are not the best for music due to the small drivers they pack in

I currently have a Edifier powered 1850DB speaker setup connected to my PC, which is good for me for music listening

But this setup is in my bedroom and I want to build a HT setup for my living room where it can be accessed by all my family members ( my dad is a music lover )

So I have decided go with Bookshelf speakers to get good music out of the HT setup

Plan is to gradually build the whole 5.2 and probably an Atmos setup with 5.2.2 , due to budget constraint (currently around 1.5L for AV receiver and front channels)

At present I have zeroed in on Yamaha RX A2A for the AV receiver + bookshelf speakers from Klipsch Reference series R-50-M

Will add Sub(s) , center and rear channels gradually

Please suggest if this approach and choice would work good for movies and occasional music listening
Please go for Yamaha AVR and polk audio speakers which are value for money.. Does not burn your pockets

I have always wanted a good home theater setup which good for movies and also for music(occasionally)

Living in an apartment with living room of dimensions 12ft x 12ft , I do not want to opt for floor standing speakers

First plan was to go with a satellite speaker package like Polk TL 1600 or Klipsch Reference 5.0 home theater package

But after reading about these speaker packages one thing I understood is that even though they might be good for movies, they are not the best for music due to the small drivers they pack in

I currently have a Edifier powered 1850DB speaker setup connected to my PC, which is good for me for music listening

But this setup is in my bedroom and I want to build a HT setup for my living room where it can be accessed by all my family members ( my dad is a music lover )

So I have decided go with Bookshelf speakers to get good music out of the HT setup

Plan is to gradually build the whole 5.2 and probably an Atmos setup with 5.2.2 , due to budget constraint (currently around 1.5L for AV receiver and front channels)

At present I have zeroed in on Yamaha RX A2A for the AV receiver + bookshelf speakers from Klipsch Reference series R-50-M

Will add Sub(s) , center and rear channels gradually

Please suggest if this approach and choice would work good for movies and occasional music listening
Better avoid Klipsch speakers u have mentioned if music matters .
I don't feel Yamaha & Klipsch speakers goes well for music...coz the combo may become brighter sound.
If possible better do an audition and decide yourself .

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions, I finally bought the following setup :

AVR - Yamaha Aventage RX A4A

LR speakers - Polk Audio Reserve 200

For the cabinet depth issue, AVR depth is 37.7 cm and with HDMI cables it comes up to around 45-46 cms.

Top of the cabinet is just 40cm , front fascia and about 2mm of the AVR feet are floating , but still the AVR is firmly placed and I don’t think it’s going anywhere

I did not expect the AVR to be so heavy , but it’s really well built and sturdy

Anyways to be on safer side , have bought 12mm tempered glass to place on top of cabinet and will place the AVR on it

Sound Quality for both Music and Movies are really Good , my father is in love with music quality and is enjoy listening to his favourite songs , mission accomplished for me 🙂

Yamaha and Polk R200s are sounding so good together with a lot of clarity and clean tight bass

Thanks to Spotify and Apple Music for providing so much content old to new all in lossless and/or Hi-Res formats

Next step before adding other speakers , I am planning to add a DAC for my iPhone to play lossless Hi-Res tracks
Looking at VFM DACs like FIIO but not decided yet
Congratulations.

You probably get better sound/music if you move the speakers little further to each other (i could be wrong as well). Test it out. I found my MA sounded far better after moving further to each other also changing the angle towards the listening position.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back