Suggestions for a stereo setup !!

mvikred

Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase a stereo setup under a budget of 30k.

Primarily looking for Floorstanding speakers with an stereo integrated amplifier with decent connectivity options.

I listen to a wide range of genres - Jazz to extreme metal - and therefore would look for a more neutral sounding speakers.

Looking forward to some great suggestions !!

Cheers !! :)

I've been looking at Pioneer AJ series floor standers with Norge Amp.

Any suggestions on whether this is a good combo?

Hi mvikred,
I have also zeroed in on the same AJ floor standers but since i will be using my smart tv and laptop as source i think it would be better to go for marantz pm6005. Not sure how the FS will match with the Norge amp. What kind of DAC are you going to pair it with?

Hi mvikred,
I have also zeroed in on the same AJ floor standers but since i will be using my smart tv and laptop as source i think it would be better to go for marantz pm6005. Not sure how the FS will match with the Norge amp. What kind of DAC are you going to pair it with?

Hey. I haven't really thought about a DAC for this setup. To be honest, I am relatively new to the hi-fi setup and figuring out things slowly. So I am taking my time to zero in on what I really want.

If you do any suggestions please do share.

Also, given the fact that I am mobile quite regularly because of work, I am also evaluating a pair of headphones with a DAC/AMP rather than a complete stereo setup (which I will eventually will get...but I'm coming to think maybe now is not the right time). However, I'm open to feedback from all the knowledge banks present on this forum.

Thanks !!!

Hey. I haven't really thought about a DAC for this setup. To be honest, I am relatively new to the hi-fi setup and figuring out things slowly. So I am taking my time to zero in on what I really want.

If you do any suggestions please do share.

Also, given the fact that I am mobile quite regularly because of work, I am also evaluating a pair of headphones with a DAC/AMP rather than a complete stereo setup (which I will eventually will get...but I'm coming to think maybe now is not the right time). However, I'm open to feedback from all the knowledge banks present on this forum.

Thanks !!!

If you are going to play high quality music (cd rips, alac, flac etc) then a good DAC will make perceptible difference in your stereo experience. You may consider Fiio e10 which sounded awesome with a Senn HD 419. My friend who bought it was inspired after hearing my HD 203 connected to my Ipad Air. Few months ago i further tweaked the sound using audyssey app and my admiration only grew even more to this 4 year old headphone. Music on the move couldn't get any better. :clapping:
What will you be using as your source?

Last edited:
You could also look at Schiit Fulla for a reasonably priced dac. It works with iphone and android. So that way you could get started immediately & can use it while travelling.
It has a preamp as a bonus. So for home setup you could reuse the fulla & just get a power amp and speakers.
As a last strategy, go slow with setting up the home setup and build one that will sound worth it. I mean should at least be decent enough to be called basic hifi. This will require more money but you will have more time to save up. Will actually save money in the long run. Extra time will also give you time to figure out the intricacies of sound and your own personal preferences.

This journey can be enjoyable bro; take your time.

If you are going to play high quality music (cd rips, alac, flac etc) then a good DAC will make perceptible difference in your stereo experience. You may consider Fiio e10 which sounded awesome with a Senn HD 419. My friend who bought it was inspired after hearing my HD 203 connected to my Ipad Air. Few months ago i further tweaked the sound using audyssey app and my admiration only grew even more to this 4 year old headphone. Music on the move couldn't get any better. :clapping:
What will you be using as your source?

I was thinking on the same lines. Almost zeroed in on E10K. Also got myself some M50xs and am loving them. However, I do feel that the sound stage is limited, but that is to be expected from a closed back. I guess, I'll have to get some open cans too !!

The Audyssey app? Is it available for free?

I use lossless quality content and 320 kbps mp3s, from a phone or a laptop !!

Wasn't planning on getting a dedicated CD player...if I do have to play CDs then I have a USB CD/DVD player that does the job.

You could also look at Schiit Fulla for a reasonably priced dac. It works with iphone and android. So that way you could get started immediately & can use it while travelling.
It has a preamp as a bonus. So for home setup you could reuse the fulla & just get a power amp and speakers.
As a last strategy, go slow with setting up the home setup and build one that will sound worth it. I mean should at least be decent enough to be called basic hifi. This will require more money but you will have more time to save up. Will actually save money in the long run. Extra time will also give you time to figure out the intricacies of sound and your own personal preferences.

This journey can be enjoyable bro; take your time.

This is a noob talk, so please entertain me just for a bit :)

Where in India can I get hold of Schiit products? and You said Fulla has a pre-amp, can you help me understand the difference in audio quality from using a pre-amp and not using one? Also, what exactly does a pre-amp do?

I completely agree with your point about getting a good hi-fi system and if required save up and get one.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys !!

This is a noob talk, so please entertain me just for a bit :)
Take it easy. I have a habit of giving the whole picture in one instant.
Actually I am building my system and putting together the last component that remains these days. It took me time as I had limited funds..but this has given me time to learn and all those things that I have said. And it has turned out so well for a first attempt and so economical. And so when I saw your post, I kind of saw that you are in a similar position so...laid out my complete strategy...

I wrote an article also for newbies and for people around me ... friends and family. If you want, you can read it here - Melodies from The Silver Flute: Music in the Digital Age : Something is not right about cheap music playback

That system I recommend there is very basic ... for people who are not looking to buy hifi ... but the first three posts are relevant for everyone.

Where in India can I get hold of Schiit products? and You said Fulla has a pre-amp, can you help me understand the difference in audio quality from using a pre-amp and not using one? Also, what exactly does a pre-amp do?

Sound output from a dac is at a very low power level and an amplifier expects a minimun level - its mainly measured in volts - comes to around 1.2v. This is also known as 'line level'. So a preamp actually amplifies it to that level and then sound passes on to that part of an amp which is known as a power amp.
For simplicity, an integrated amplifier consists of both preamp and power amp.
But the thing is that if you know what components are needed to assemble a complete system, then you can have the flexibility in assembling as I have mentuoned above I.e. preamp is there already in fulla, so why spend money in buying preamp again. That money could be saved or you could put it into buying a better power amp.

I found that knowing what all parts are required is very useful and informative and this incidentally was also the way to put together what is called 'component system'.

Regarding fulla, you will have to find out where to buy it from, but what I do know is that it is one of the best in affordable portable dacs.

Have a nice day!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back