Suggestions for basic 55" led tv

Cooladitya007

Hi
Looking for basic 55" led tv for HT setup.
Room size 12 X12 feet so viewing distance approx 11 feet.

Need somthing under very tight budget of 25 to 30k max.

already have a mi box 4k so not worried about smart tv functions.

Tv will be connected to Denon 250bt.

Not sure 55" will be over or under size for room size and viewing distance.

It will be used for mostly ott and youtube videos as i do t use DTH connection.

But my biggest concern is i am not getting much 4k content online.

I have Amazon prime membership but that's not enough now i realised.

No idea from where i can get 4k stuff online.

I don't think 55" models come for that cheap, especially after the rise in prices over the last year due to tax increase and covid related issues. If you do find one, you might be compromising on quality too much.

I have a Vu 50", bought in Oct 2019. Pretty satisfied with it. Viewing distance is 8.5 feet and I feel like 55" would have been better for me. So rest assured 55" is not too big for your room.

Vu is currently available for 44k and would be a good choice. Though, I'm not sure if there has been any change in quality since I bought, because it's a different series now. If you can't stretch that much, you can look at Hisense, for 38k on Amazon.

My suggestion will also be same as Gourav. Don't waste your 30k or so on just anything, for the sake of a fairly large screen TV. Bcoz cheap TVs doesn't have anything impressive to offer. Wait, save some more money and go with something better with both PQ and a better brand name. At least after sales service assurance. Hisense is still early to create an impression, but I am personally really impressed with their TVs performance. You wouldn't regret if you get to have one.

Why do you want to risk it with brands that have virtually no existence other than selling the product.
The cost of an LG UM72 50" is just 44k. Probably lower at the dealer. I know its a bit smaller than the size you want. Would you rather not buy this than gamble with Kodak, etc?

If you are so strapped for cash, pay the 30k down for the LG and the rest over the course of a year. Works out to Rs. 1100/month. Not do-able? Do not just buy something in haste or because its cheap. Its your hard earned money after all.

Why do you want to risk it with brands that have virtually no existence other than selling the product.
The cost of an LG UM72 50" is just 44k. Probably lower at the dealer. I know its a bit smaller than the size you want. Would you rather not buy this than gamble with Kodak, etc?

If you are so strapped for cash, pay the 30k down for the LG and the rest over the course of a year. Works out to Rs. 1100/month. Not do-able? Do not just buy something in haste or because its cheap. Its your hard earned money after all.
I too was thinking of this TV. But in Amazon reviews, there are a lot of users complaining about Panel issues within 1 year of usage.

Yeah, there will be one or two defective pieces here and there, but the number of negative reviews is somewhat greater than other TVs in this price range.

And many people has recommended me not to go with these budget brands because their existence in the future is unpredictable. I called a service center whose number was mentioned in HiSense official website as authorised service center. But the guy said that they don't service HiSense TVs. So if budget brand is the only choice left, then MI or Redmi would be the best choice since they have a very good service support even in small towns.

Has anyone heard of "Philips 50PUT8215"? There are quite a few positive reviews about the Panel quality and brand can be trusted too.

To Samsung TV Owners - How's Tizen OS? Do I need to buy a fire stick 4k separately? Heard that there was some problem with hotstar streaming 4k content in Tizen OS.?

Last edited:
I too was thinking of this TV. But in Amazon reviews, there are a lot of users complaining about Panel issues within 1 year of usage.
And many people has recommended me not to go with these budget brands because their existence in the future is unpredictable.
I'd take Amazon reviews with a grain of salt.

You're buying an LG, not some unheard of budget brand. If anything were to fail, there is atleast some support. If you are so worried about panel failures, take an extended warranty.

Don't touch a Philips. Their AV business is in the dumps in India. Slightly different if you live abroad where they do have some presence and they do make a few superb oled's that rival LG and Sony.

Samsung's are fine but I won't/can't comment on their OS as I have not used one.

I was not well since last 8-9 days so could not watch sale & offers closely.
As of now i haven't bought any tv yet, but i will buy 1 definitely.
I don't want to go for premium brands like sony, lg or samsung, i know they give better quality but they cost 50% more.

And about the product life i have seen top brands like sony, lg & Samsung tv fail within couple of year.
Even my sony HT failed within 3 years.
While a Micromax tv in my family working since 7 years without any issue.
So i am looking for decent tv at budget.

I don't think 55" models come for that cheap, especially after the rise in prices over the last year due to tax increase and covid related issues. If you do find one, you might be compromising on quality too much.

I have a Vu 50", bought in Oct 2019. Pretty satisfied with it. Viewing distance is 8.5 feet and I feel like 55" would have been better for me. So rest assured 55" is not too big for your room.

Vu is currently available for 44k and would be a good choice. Though, I'm not sure if there has been any change in quality since I bought, because it's a different series now. If you can't stretch that much, you can look at Hisense, for 38k on Amazon.c
Can you please check one thing as using the VU as monitor for your PC plays 4k HDR movies from your PC. I want to buy TV for 4K HDR movies from my PC on 23 July so it will be of great help

I was not well since last 8-9 days so could not watch sale & offers closely.
As of now i haven't bought any tv yet, but i will buy 1 definitely.
I don't want to go for premium brands like sony, lg or samsung, i know they give better quality but they cost 50% more.

And about the product life i have seen top brands like sony, lg & Samsung tv fail within couple of year.
Even my sony HT failed within 3 years.
While a Micromax tv in my family working since 7 years without any issue.
So i am looking for decent tv at budget.
Which one did you bought

Can you please check one thing as using the VU as monitor for your PC plays 4k HDR movies from your PC. I want to buy TV for 4K HDR movies from my PC on 23 July so it will be of great help
Unfortunately I'm not able to get 4k 60Hz with HDR from my RTX3060. Either 4k 30Hz HDR or 4k 60Hz SDR or 1080p 60Hz HDR.

But when I do set it to 4k 30Hz, I can play HDR content in KODI. The TV shows it as HDR in signal information.

Unfortunately I'm not able to get 4k 60Hz with HDR from my RTX3060. Either 4k 30Hz HDR or 4k 60Hz SDR or 1080p 60Hz HDR.

But when I do set it to 4k 30Hz, I can play HDR content in KODI. The TV shows it as HDR in signal information.
Is it limited due to the TV or any limitation from windows because 3060 is definitely capable of anything you want to do in media playback

Hi

If you can extend your budget to 45k, the Amazon Prime day deals show Hisense U6G will be on offer. It is a pretty decent TV with Full-array dimming.
You can wait & check the offer.

Is it limited due to the TV or any limitation from windows because 3060 is definitely capable of anything you want to do in media playback
I wish I knew. My fire stick does 4k 60Hz with HDR, so did my Raspberry Pi with LibreELEC.

I tried updating the Nvidia drivers, search for answers on various forums, but came with absolutely nothing. It seems like a Windows issue. Unfortunately I don't have an SSD large enough to try installing Linux on it. So as of now, not HDR for me.

Do
I wish I knew. My fire stick does 4k 60Hz with HDR, so did my Raspberry Pi with LibreELEC.

I tried updating the Nvidia drivers, search for answers on various forums, but came with absolutely nothing. It seems like a Windows issue. Unfortunately I don't have an SSD large enough to try installing Linux on it. So as of now, not HDR for me.
Does the HDMI cable is truly 48gbps supporting cable because it could be the reason

Do

Does the HDMI cable is truly 48gbps supporting cable because it could be the reason
Since my Fire Stick works at 4k 60Hz with HDR from my AVR to my TV, I can safely say that the HDMI cable between AVR and TV is not the problem.

The second cable, i.e. the HDMI cable between PC and AVR is a Honeywell cable, it is HDMI certified cable and I verified it to be 48 Gbps. So Again, definitely not the issue.

Since the TV has no issue working with Firestick/LibreELEC, fairly certain that the TV is not the issue either.

So the only piece remaining is my PC. I have updated all drivers and everything but it doesn't work. At some point, you just have to let it go. So I stopped trying to diagnose the problem. Over the past year, ever since I bought my TV and 4k monitor for my PC/Laptop, I have faced issues again and again and I have spend 5-6k on HDMI cables itself. I neither want to spend any more money nor do I want to spend any more time over this shit. Hopefully someday the HDMI consortium will get its act together and actually ask product manufacturers to clearly list supported protocols on all devices and make these things easier. Chances are not very high though, as keeping things confusing leads to higher sales of HDMI cables.

Also, since my TV is a Vu TV, it's not like there's a whole lot of difference between SDR and HDR. The difference is minor. And I only use this PC for gaming, so I don't care much about HDR anyway. For movies, I already have Fire Stick.

Still couldn't get a tv, wanted to save some money to increase budget but due to increased cost of living and medical expenses I can't increase my budget, have to compromise.

iffalcon 55u61 and 55u71 available under 25k but i am confused between them likewhich model is better as didn't found much information about them.

also not sure it will work well with denon 250bt.

lastely i am sorry for not being active in this thread/forum.

The Amazon Basics 55" is Rs 33.5k - it should be reliable enough.

Personally, i think that unless you are a committed/serious video enthusiast, a bigger screen makes for a more immersive viewing experience than a higher panel LED (within reason, of course). I'd pay more for a nicer panel, sure - but if the tradeoff is a bigger screen and a slightly lower end panel, i'd take the bigger screen.

Thanks for suggestion, i want to experience immersive viewing experience of big display tv at lower possible price, i know display quality wise its a huge compromise but i have no choice left.

Any user of either tv please throw some light on these models.

I have mi box but my current 32" tv isn't smart so i may need mi box for my current tv if i keep it.

Hi, we bought a bunch of Compaq TVs to be given under consumer scheme for our customers. The 55 Inch HUEQ model came for less than 25k in Flipkart sale and the basic HD 32 inch was around 5.5K. I was impressed with the picture quality and the TV looks very elegant . The black levels are quite impressive for the money and the colors look great. The OS is very fast (much better and faster than Firestick) and the menu for tweaking picture and sound is quite exhaustive.

I am not a videophile but we do have a Samsung Plasma still running as our main display. Compared to that, the Compaq was impressive to say the least, however the rest of things don't inspire confidence. The English language in the manual is poorly written, the manual itself is quite small and concise. The Flipkart service guys have no clue about the TVs, their customer service number didn't respond to my calls, no mention of service centre data in their website etc etc. But ultimately its below 25K and not long ago I paid 15K for a small monitor. Video gear is becoming cheaper surely but on our Audio side it seems there is no respite.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back