Suggestions for Bookshelf Speakers

@irv I think what you are saying is right my friend..Wharfies will be quite balanced for my needs and room size..just as a matter of interest..what is the amp you are pairing it with ?
Infact I am yet to get an amp . The 220s are my first bookshelf speakers. Upgrading from some active speakers.
Marantz pm5005, pm6006, and onkyo a9010 are under consideration. I think I need some help with it.

WD 220 and Marantz 5005 - Is both are Warm sound signatures ?

Just to know, whether this combo good for 2.0 setup. Because some FM mentioned that Bright + Warm is right combo.

When i audition Marantz + Dali zensor 1 , i feel it was better than Marantz + WD 220. But i may be not sure , because its just one song and can not judge correctly. This combo Marantz + WD 220 is highly recommended in our Forum.
You are right, Marantz is warm and so is WD 220, whereas Dali Zensor 1 tends to be bright. So Marantz and Dali combo will sound better than Marantz and WD220 combo. I have Sonodyne 2605v2 which I have paired with Marantz 6000 series and a Norge 1000. In the direct mode, with Norge, the speakers tend towards mild brightness, as Norge 1000 is a neutral amp and 2605v2 is mildly on the brighter side. Whereas Marantz and 2605v2 combo is neither bright nor laid back.

But that said, we need not worry or put too much emphasis on warm and bright factors, because warm and bright factors can be increased or decreased using the bass and treble knobs. Factors like thin/ fat sounding and the like, are things to be worried about and caution should be taken not to purchase speakers that are more specifically designed for HT applications. One more thing is, WDs are not all round speakers. Tagas are not as laid back as WDs and will have more all round factor than WDs. But of course placement of WDs and Tagas will not be a problem, as they do not have rear ports. If placement will not be a big problem, you can also get Norge Milleniums, but not Ultimo.

I have a 12x12 fts room and my listening distance would be around 6-8 fts. I can afford to keep them maximum of 6-7 inches away from the wall.

If port & placement is a concern, you may also consider a sealed bookshelf speaker like the Taga Harmony Platinum S90 SL.. These are surround speakers, but you can comfortably use them for stereo.. In your budget & wall mount capability too.. Only thing is, you may not feel the kick of bass as you would find in ported bookshelf speakers..

@nitinsanand....and what the amp you were using with it ? and how big was your room on an average..I always felt that MX1s are value for money speakers..was just apprehensive about the back porting...thanks

I've used them with a variety of amps, in stereo - an old Sony str da50es which is more of a stereo receiver pumping 120w pc @ 8ohms and also with CA 640v2 which is 75w pc @8ohms. When on back surrounds they were connected to a Denon 3100 avr. The stereo room was small around 11x10 ft (I'm pretty bad with these measurements, need to check the floor plan) and on the HT as surrounds it was a larger 24x12 ft HT setup room. But yeah the mx1 are compact and could serve the purpose in ur case. I had the luxury of listening to them before buying.

You are right, Marantz is warm and so is WD 220, whereas Dali Zensor 1 tends to be bright. So Marantz and Dali combo will sound better than Marantz and WD220 combo.
Thanks vinyl for your explanations on Bright and warm signatures of these combos, My query is , Majority of FMs are suggesting this combo (Marantz+WD) as best suited stereo setup. Do you think its subjective or they are happy with both warmer signatures.

Warm + Bright ( marantz+Dali) - Can we used it for long hour listening without ear fatigue ?

Thanks vinyl for your explanations on Bright and warm signatures of these combos, My query is , Majority of FMs are suggesting this combo (Marantz+WD) as best suited stereo setup. Do you think its subjective or they are happy with both warmer signatures.

Warm + Bright ( marantz+Dali) - Can we used it for long hour listening without ear fatigue ?
1. It can be subjective, or as you say they are happy with both warmer signatures.
2. Marantz are neutral amps in the sense that they don't colour the sound, but they are slightly restrained and not that open as Norge. So whether Marantz+Dali or Marantz+WD, depends upon two factors. If you want to listen to music for long hours without being involved in it, then it's WD. But if you want to be involved in the music then it's Dali or the like. Keeping this in mind, some other things need to be taken into account. WDs are not all rounders and are suitable for certain types of music. If required, it will be difficult for the amp to compensate for the high frequency roll offs in WDs, as it is the inherent nature of the speaker. On the other hand, Dalis and the like, are all rounders, and warm and bright sounds can be produced from them by adjustments in the amp. Again depending upon the music, Dalis can sometimes sound harsh, but not always. So if one listens to only music that is more aptly reproduced by WDs, or without much involvement, then one can opt for them, keeping in mind that they cannot be made bright. But if one listens to a wide variety of music, and will have only one pair of speakers, then Dali and the like, and warmer signatures can be produced by adjustments.

I would like to add a bit more. If for Indian music, then WDs should not be the choice, as Indian music is bright and needs involvement. We are discussing a lot about MNC brand speakers, like Dali etc, but I can't understand, why FMs are not showing much interest in Sonodyne. They are world class speakers, but underrated in this forum. I have written earlier in some of my posts, that due to lack of adequate sales in the domestic market, and also due to their own wrong policies/ attitudes, lots of Sonodyne dealers have left the dealership of Sonodyne, but that does not mean Sonodyne speakers are bad. Before the advent of 2.1 MM speakers, when 2ch stereo dominated, MNC brands could not get a good foothold in India, because of Sonodyne. Norge's presence at that time was limited, but Sonodyne's presence was throughout India. Sonodyne's electronics in the residential segment has not been stable since the last decade and half, but speakers have always been good. I personally use their towers.
Since I have a Norge 1000 and a Marantz PM6000 series, I am thinking of getting a pair of bookshelves, so that I don't have to switch between amps. I would choose between, Sonodyne, Norge Millenium, Wharfedale 220 or for a smaller size, the Taga Platinum One.

Am one of the Sonodyne user and my brother still owns a few Sonodyne products..

why FMs are not showing much interest in Sonodyne. They are world class speakers, but underrated in this forum.

Probably not many affordable / variety of products to reach different customers, incorrect pricing.. With more than 4 decades of experience manufacturing hi-fi/professional equipment's, i think there are too many product gaps..

Where is a HTIB package? - Taga (made in china & imported) has 10 different 5.0 speaker package between 17K - 25K.. Sonodyne, not even able to make one?

Where are 12 inch subs (sealed / ported) - Sealed subs are being carved for music.. Where is sealed subs from Sonodyne? With the SVS subwoofer sealed subwoofer price of abt 75K, Sonodyne with local manufacturing can easily make one for 20/25K and give a run to others.. Taga has atleast 3 models under 25K..

Where are soundbars?..Forget HDMI, atleast a 2.0 soundbar with few digital ports & a subwoofer pre-out can help a cash strapped customer.. They have soundbars made of Aluminium enclosure.. Whatz the point when the required features are missing..

For the HT aspirants, there is a dearth need of ceiling speakers, a boxed one, with rigid mount capability.. Where are they?..

What abt powered speakers?.. Easy to make one? A company by name Edifier has a 2.0 15W powered speaker for 5K.. It's a shame that Sonodyne couldn't make one..

Forget AVR, it would be almost impossible to match the biggies in any segment.. They have a 7.1 Pre-power with HD capability.. Where is one with atmos / Dts X? If Sonodyne has a locally manufactured 9.2.6 Pre-power, i would be the first to buy..

I have written earlier in some of my posts, that due to lack of adequate sales in the domestic market,

What do you mean by lack of adequate sales in domestic market.. Don't get me wrong, i don't have accurate data to quote here.. Taga TAV series 5.0 package outsells any other brand here.. (or) atleast by the new threads created here by budding HT enthusiasts.. You have the right product in the right segment, it is going to sell.. Simple as that..

and also due to their own wrong policies/ attitudes, lots of Sonodyne dealers have left the dealership of Sonodyne, but that does not mean Sonodyne speakers are bad.

Dealers giving up on Sonodyne products must be due to lack of products than can attract any price segment..

Whether you get "in to history" as once-upon a time (or) "create history" by making products is in the "approach".. If you can't spend million of dollars on R & D, just consistently monitoring the forum will give you ideas to create..

MNC brands could not get a good foothold in India, because of Sonodyne. Norge's presence at that time was limited, but Sonodyne's presence was throughout India. Sonodyne's electronics in the residential segment has not been stable since the last decade and half, but speakers have always been good. I personally use their towers.

You said "Was".. See.. There are some chinese companies who have no roots in audio and have 30 different products (amplifier/ DAC) with all bells & whistles.. For someone (Norge/Sonodyne) who have more than a decades experience has no single product.. Something wrong?..

I feel that marketing is missing for local products (Norge,sonodyne). After I came to this forum only, I know about Norge. Initially I thought only MNC brands are the only hifi producers.

Probably not many affordable / variety of products to reach different customers, incorrect pricing.. With more than 4 decades of experience manufacturing hi-fi/professional equipment's, i think there are too many product gaps..

Where is a HTIB package? - Taga (made in china & imported) has 10 different 5.0 speaker package between 17K - 25K.. Sonodyne, not even able to make one?

Where are 12 inch subs (sealed / ported) - Sealed subs are being carved for music.. Where is sealed subs from Sonodyne? With the SVS subwoofer sealed subwoofer price of abt 75K, Sonodyne with local manufacturing can easily make one for 20/25K and give a run to others.. Taga has atleast 3 models under 25K..

Where are soundbars?..Forget HDMI, atleast a 2.0 soundbar with few digital ports & a subwoofer pre-out can help a cash strapped customer.. They have soundbars made of Aluminium enclosure.. Whatz the point when the required features are missing..

For the HT aspirants, there is a dearth need of ceiling speakers, a boxed one, with rigid mount capability.. Where are they?..

What abt powered speakers?.. Easy to make one? A company by name Edifier has a 2.0 15W powered speaker for 5K.. It's a shame that Sonodyne couldn't make one..

Forget AVR, it would be almost impossible to match the biggies in any segment.. They have a 7.1 Pre-power with HD capability.. Where is one with atmos / Dts X? If Sonodyne has a locally manufactured 9.2.6 Pre-power, i would be the first to buy..

What do you mean by lack of adequate sales in domestic market.. Don't get me wrong, i don't have accurate data to quote here.. Taga TAV series 5.0 package outsells any other brand here.. (or) atleast by the new threads created here by budding HT enthusiasts.. You have the right product in the right segment, it is going to sell.. Simple as that..

Dealers giving up on Sonodyne products must be due to lack of products than can attract any price segment..

Whether you get "in to history" as once-upon a time (or) "create history" by making products is in the "approach".. If you can't spend million of dollars on R & D, just consistently monitoring the forum will give you ideas to create..

You said "Was".. See.. There are some chinese companies who have no roots in audio and have 30 different products (amplifier/ DAC) with all bells & whistles.. For someone (Norge/Sonodyne) who have more than a decades experience has no single product.. Something wrong?..
Whatever speakers they have are good and world class. But I also agree, that they are not seriously looking into the present market requirements of various segments, and do not have a wide variety of product, particularly in the residential segment.

Regarding the lack of adequate sales in the domestic market, my reference is only to Sonodyne and not other brands. When the market demands moved towards cheap 2.1 systems, and etc., etc., a lot of hifi audio companies lost their business. Sonodyne also faced that turmoil, but somehow managed to survive, but at the same time has moved focus more to the commercial segment and exports.

It is now, since just a few years, that hifi demand is growing again. As far as Norge is concerned, I doubt whether it will ever have any R&D or not, and how and where they will progress, but Sonodyne has the capacity, but again it's management is not giving much importance to the residential segment, at present.

As far as dealers giving up Sonodyne products is concerned, it is not due to lack of products, but rather due to the lack of proper service back up and marketing in the residential segment, and this is what dealers throughout India, themselves say. When there was a decline in the demand for hifi audio products, Sonodyne had moved focus more on commercial installations, and in exports. It is keeping it's hifi products limited.

Consumer grade companies having huge sales have handed over manufacturing and R&D to China, but Sonodyne being an exclusively hifi audio comapany and having limited sales, still manufactures in India, and has it's own R&D in India, but of course, they also source certain things from China, there is no other way as per the present circumstances.

Most hifi enthusiasts, do not like their equipments from MNCs to be made in China, but there is no way out. Most MNCs get their products cheaply manufactured in China. Taga makes all it's products cheaply manufactured in China. How durable are it's numerous products, time will say. Tagas tube hybrids are already showing problems. But how many Sonodyne amps go kaput within a few months or years of launching ? And speakers of Sonodyne going kaput, it's very, very, very rare, and the dealer here has heard none. Again, though Taga is manufacturing a wide variety of products, yet it is primarily a HT company and most of it's products being sold is purchased by HT enthusiasts, and not by hifi enthusiasts.

Sonodyne is primarily a hifi audio company and not a HT company, and if they want it that way, then let them be that way. They have their own variety of passive speakers, powered speakers, subs, etc., etc., which can cater to a wide variety of demands of hifi enthusiasts. They know what their market demands are, and are catering to it. They just need to focus more on the residential segment and improve marketing and service backup. Their electronics section has gone down, and that needs improvement.

Lastly, Sonodyne will not manufacture a product just because somebody says that he will be the first to buy that if Sonodyne makes them.

Tagas tube hybrids are already showing problems.
Oh, Is it. What could be the issue , whether Taga Hybrid tubes are not successful in build quality . When i was talking to chennai Taga dealer, he said they are very good in quality and did not received any complaints so far. Not sure how many products he has sold in Hybrid :)
I think producing Hybrids amps are so challenging in smaller budget.

Oh, Is it. What could be the issue , whether Taga Hybrid tubes are not successful in build quality . When i was talking to chennai Taga dealer, he said they are very good in quality and did not received any complaints so far. Not sure how many products he has sold in Hybrid :)
I think producing Hybrids amps are so challenging in smaller budget.
I had talked to a few dealers from Chennai, Bangalore and an ex dealer in Hyderabad regarding a hybrid in which I was interested. All of them had the same opinion that Taga electronics is not being reliable in Indian power conditions. Also the dealers and it's distributor had said that Marantz will be much better sound wise and quality wise. I had also enquired directly in the Taga website, whether the amp is purely dicrete or does it have ICs in the analog path. The reply was it has ICs. This are the reasons as to why I decided to go in for a tube pre and a SS power amp, as separates, instead of the integrated hybrid Taga.

One more thing. There is a lot of discussion in this forum about speakers from brands like Wharfedale, Boston and Q Acoustics, Monitor Audio, Dali, etc., etc. These companies have a variety of speakers, but in the Indian market only a very few models are sold from each brand. From Wharfedale it is primarily the 220 and it's similar ancestors. From Boston it is primarily A26. So is the case with the other brands. I don't think there is any problem if Sonodyne and Norge do not have a wide variety of products. Whatever products these two companies have, are selling and their customers are happy. If they start making products for limited clients, then cost of production will be high and the propective customers will then say that if a made in India product is so costly, then why not buy from a MNC brand. People managing these companies are sensible and are doing that what is right for their company.

so guys..what do you suggest ? What will be a good Sonodyne speaker to pair up with Norge 1000 ?

Thanks,
Syed
You can pair with Norge Millenium or with Sonodyne Bookshelf, I don't remember the model no. Or if you want you can pair with Sonodyne towers.

Whatever speakers they have are good and world class.

They are on par.. No one said they are not..

But I also agree, that they are not seriously looking into the present market requirements of various segments, and do not have a wide variety of product, particularly in the residential segment.

That is missing..

When there was a decline in the demand for hifi audio products, Sonodyne had moved focus more on commercial installations, and in exports. It is keeping it's hifi products limited.

That is the concern (or) rather say expectation, from a company that has all the potential to do more..

Consumer grade companies having huge sales have handed over manufacturing and R&D to China, but Sonodyne being an exclusively hifi audio comapany and having limited sales, still manufactures in India, and has it's own R&D in India, but of course, they also source certain things from China, there is no other way as per the present circumstances.

Most hifi enthusiasts, do not like their equipments from MNCs to be made in China, but there is no way out. Most MNCs get their products cheaply manufactured in China.

Whether they decide to manufacture in India (or) import the finish goods from China is up to them.. It is better to have more product line ups for the customer to look up to them..

Sonodyne is primarily a hifi audio company and not a HT company, and if they want it that way, then let them be that way.

If it is hi-fi audio company, then why make center channel / surround speaker / AVR / Pre-Pro multi-channel amps?..

What difference does it make between Hi-fi audio company (or) HT company?.. All they need to do is produce a "speaker", which will be used for different purposes..

They have their own variety of passive speakers, powered speakers, subs, etc., etc., which can cater to a wide variety of demands of hifi enthusiasts. They know what their market demands are, and are catering to it. They just need to focus more on the residential segment and improve marketing and service backup. Their electronics section has gone down, and that needs improvement.

Lastly, Sonodyne will not manufacture a product just because somebody says that he will be the first to buy that if Sonodyne makes them.

"Consumer behaviour" is the key.. It would be good if the company can put themselves in to the customer shoes and start thinking on the lines of what they need..

I don't think there is any problem if Sonodyne and Norge do not have a wide variety of products. Whatever products these two companies have, are selling and their customers are happy.

Good to "assume" things..

People managing these companies are sensible and are doing that what is right for their company.

I may be not the right person to comment on what the company thinks is sensible.. As an enthusiast, it is only an expectation from the company to have more products..

I have already detracted the thread from the OP requirements.. Sorry OP.. So, i will quit the discussion on this topic with this.. Fine to discuss on a separate thread..

I made a wish list (expectation) of Sonodyne products in 2013 - https://www.hifivision.com/threads/wish-list-from-sonodyne-anything-to-add.42118/

If it is hi-fi audio company, then why make center channel / surround speaker / AVR / Pre-Pro multi-channel amps?..

What difference does it make between Hi-fi audio company (or) HT company?.. All they need to do is produce a "speaker", which will be used for different purposes..
There are a lot of companies who primarily make certain products, but also venture into some other sectors in a limited manner. If one likes their products one can buy, or if any product does not meet one's expectations, then one need not buy.

Some speakers can be all purpose and can be used for different purposes, but all speakers are not all purpose. Some for 2ch audio, some for HT, some for studios and etc., etc. It is not necessary that every company will and can make speakers for all purposes.

Both Norge and Sonodyne, make certain products and accordingly cater to certain segments. We as customers can have certain expectations from them regarding the variety of products, but we can't have aggressive expectations or try to impose our expectations over them.

Hello,

Need suggestions for a pair of bookshelves, preferably within a budget of 15K to pair with a humble 15WPC 8 Ohms amp with the source as a turntable. My focus is on clarity and good quality warm sound rather than just bass. The room size is around 13 ft X 16 ft.

Thanks in anticipation of help.

Regards.

Two bookshelves I have used in the past in this budget were the mission LX2 and the Polk RTi A1.

Both are excellent speakers and in your budget.

Hello,

Need suggestions for a pair of bookshelves, preferably within a budget of 15K to pair with a humble 15WPC 8 Ohms amp with the source as a turntable. My focus is on clarity and good quality warm sound rather than just bass. The room size is around 13 ft X 16 ft.

Thanks in anticipation of help.

Regards.
Maybe you should look for vintage speakers. Start a wanted thread.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back