Suggestions for DSLR camera - Nikon vs cannon

Why don't you agree Utkarsh? The D3100 is an entry level model, and the 550D is a step-up model. On most parameters the 550D outperforms the D3100, which is only to be expected because they are not like-for-like competition. The comparison for the D3100 would be the 1000D (or the 1100D).

But I am very pleasantly shocked that there's no fanboyism here. No one's being tribal and illogical :) .

How you can say 550D is better than D3100 ? I don't agree

I use the iso6400 setting for photographing my DIY goodies in dim light. You get cool pictures with all those backlit pots and leds. Though lately the use of tripod has greatly improved the pictures as you can use lower ISo settings and slower shutter speed. Check them out.
http://www.head-fi.org/gallery/album/view/id/131889/user_id/261754

I also agree with the previous post the canon d550 should be compared to Nikon d5100 instead of d3100 which is entry level. Both are great cameras just attach good lenses and fine tune your photography skills.

Last edited:
One issue I have faced with digicams (like cybershot) is that night flash shots have white specks across the snaps. Do DSLRs face the same issue.

Also any suggestion for initial lenses to pair up with basic body of Nikon/Canon. How much do they cost?

One issue I have faced with digicams (like cybershot) is that night flash shots have white specks across the snaps. Do DSLRs face the same issue.

Also any suggestion for initial lenses to pair up with basic body of Nikon/Canon. How much do they cost?

I have shortlisted some of the lens which are commonly used with Nikon and Canon.https://www.box.com/s/d2a4f3bf0d6766246877
I'm using 40mm Nikon Macro lens this can be used for multipurpose Macro, Portrait and Landscape.

Hi,
You could consider Canon 550d with 18-55 lens in your budget(ebay sells this at 32K).

The kit lens is not great as others mentioned here,but when you buy along with the body you would get this for around 3k,which is not bad.This lens is sufficient for taking family pictures and for learning.

And once you learn the intricacies you could buy another lens of your choice.50mm prime 1.8 lens is the cheapest of the lot which produces sharp images,this sells at Rs.6700.

If you are into wildlife photography/bird photography,there is a 55-250 IS lens which sells at Rs.15-16K.

As somebody mentioned when you buy a DSLR,you are buying a system.
Slowly buld the system with new lenses you need.

Or if you dont want the hassle of changing lenses everynow and then(which is good to avoid dust settling in sensor)you could consider a 18-135 lens(23K) with Canon 550d.This would cover the basic focal lengths from wide angle to zoom.

In any case,go to a showroom and experience the camera before buying.

All the best.

Dijeesh.

look at 550D or D90. They are great cameras, though a little old models. D90 I guess is officially discontinued, I think the next day after I purchased it.

Interesting discussion here.

In the nikon universe, the 35 mm f1.8 Nikkor at about 12k is also an amazing option. Its not as narrow as the 50 mm (*1.5 crop) and can be used for both wide angle shots as well as a very good portrait lens - the bokeh is fantastic. Also its very lightweight - hence works fantastically as a walkabout glass.

X-Man : The white specks could be due to reflections from reflective surfaces in the frame - and when using an onboard naked flash, such reflections are definitely a possibility even in the best of DSLRs. However, given their larger sensors and plus if you buy a lens that stops to f1.8, you will be able to avoid use of flash except in the most dire situations, especially since most new camera bodies have very good ISO performance - even up to ISO 3200. The only way to avoid pictures getting horribly spoilt by the onboard flash is to make the light incident from an angle, either bouncing your flash, or using it off camera - a al Strobist . I hate using onboard flash for any photography and for many it is pretty much the main reason to upgrade to larger and more sophisticated DSLRs.

Do check out KenRockwell.com: Photography, Cameras and Taking Better Pictures as well - if you want more info on Nikon or if you are looking to get that last bit of information to make up your mind about Nikon gear.

Just my 2 cents.

It is ALWAYS advised to shoot at the least ISO possible. Usually least possible is ISO 100.

Use lowest ISO setting possible and compensate it with long exposures (tripod required in most cases)

A ISO 100 - 200 photo will look much cleaner than anything on higher ISO say 500 or so. Most of the shots taken at higher ISO do not end up as keepers simply because there is LOT of noise (grainy) in those shots.

Amazingly I have even seen significant difference in shots taken with 100 and those taken at 200 ISO levels in low light! So you can get the idea what we are dealing with :)

Do some reading on "correct exposure".
There are three variable/parameters that can be controlled by user to get "correct exposure". These three form a triangle.

Shutter Speed <--> Aperture <--> ISO

If you change one you can compensate with the other one

(Side Note: Best to avoid flash as it completely spoils the "mood"/"ambiance" of the subject/scene being shot. Although Flash can be use very creatively for other shots as fill flash or night time photography to light up the subject selectively)

saketselot

"In the nikon universe, the 35 mm f1.8 Nikkor at about 12k is also an amazing option. Its not as narrow as the 50 mm (*1.5 crop) and can be used for both wide angle shots as well as a very good portrait lens - the bokeh is fantastic"

I used to have a 35mm 1.8G but I sold it. It's one of the better DX lenses and has a useful focal length. Personally I found it far better than the 18-55 or 18-105 lenses. But the 35mm 1.8G's bokeh is not fantastic. It is acceptable. The 50mm 1.8D provides a better bokeh and the 50mm 1.4D provides an outstanding bokeh. I have used the 50mm 1.8D for a month now and would never consider going back to the 35mm 1.8G. In fact I am so happy with this amazing lens, I have dropped my future plans of spending oodles of money buying the expensive Nikon zooms like 24-70 and 70-200. My 50mm 1.8D and 85mm 1.8D are more than enough for a lifetime of shooting. The only lens I really want to add in the future is the 105mm 2.8D micro or the 135mm f/2 DC. And perhaps the 50mm 1.4D and the 24mm 2.8D if I have some extra cash :)

saketselot

"In the nikon universe, the 35 mm f1.8 Nikkor at about 12k is also an amazing option. Its not as narrow as the 50 mm (*1.5 crop) and can be used for both wide angle shots as well as a very good portrait lens - the bokeh is fantastic"

I used to have a 35mm 1.8G but I sold it. It's one of the better DX lenses and has a useful focal length. Personally I found it far better than the 18-55 or 18-105 lenses. But the 35mm 1.8G's bokeh is not fantastic. It is acceptable. The 50mm 1.8D provides a better bokeh and the 50mm 1.4D provides an outstanding bokeh. I have used the 50mm 1.8D for a month now and would never consider going back to the 35mm 1.8G. In fact I am so happy with this amazing lens, I have dropped my future plans of spending oodles of money buying the expensive Nikon zooms like 24-70 and 70-200. My 50mm 1.8D and 85mm 1.8D are more than enough for a lifetime of shooting. The only lens I really want to add in the future is the 105mm 2.8D micro or the 135mm f/2 DC. And perhaps the 50mm 1.4D and the 24mm 2.8D if I have some extra cash :)

Interesting observation and review - Thanks. I am certainly looking to try the 50 mm 1.8 after reading your comments. The 1.4 is too expensive though and I would probably get a wide angle if I had the extra cash right now. About the 35 mm, I dont like to shoot fully wide open all the time and at f4 or f5.6 - I like the fact that the bokeh is not very aggressive gets me just the right separation for a portrait subject. I have a Tamron 24-75 f2.8 mm on another Pentax body and its a fantastic lens as far as color goes, but I found the bokeh pretty aggressive on that one. The 85mm 1.8D you have is on my wish list too - have shot with it earlier and loved that focal length for a prime - made me think very differently about composition with a fixed telephoto that is not meant for long distance shooting :)

saketselot

For shooting portraits of the human species the 85mm 1.8D and the 50mm 1.4D are essential and affordable Nikon lenses. One should buy both before they disappear from the market! I love shooting portraits at f/1.8 - f/2.8. On a cropped sensor dslr the 50mm 1.4D is a great portrait lens. Maybe even better than 85mm 1.8D. Better bokeh, wider aperture and more useable focal length. If you consider the prices of the rest of the Nikon f/1.4 lenses then the 50mm 1.4D seems to be incredibly cheap.

Check out the reviews by Lilkiwiguy87 (Nikon Help Hotline) on You Tube. Personally I found these reviews better and more convincing than those by Ken Rockwell, Thom Hogan, Nasim Mansurov, Photozone, DP review, Cameralabs, DxOmark etc. I have watched all the Nikon Help Hotline reviews and they helped me to decide which lenses I wanted to buy now or in the future.

Nikon 50mm /1.4D AF - YouTube

* D series lenses will focus manually but they will not autofocus on 'crippled' (no focusing motor) Nikon's like D3100/D3200/D5100. For this reason and also because of their better viewfinder and build quality the only cropped sensor Nikon's I would personally want to use are D7000 and D90.

Last edited:
Ajay124:

85mm seems a bit too long for me with the 1.5 crop on my D7000 body for portraiture - though it would be pretty good focal length on an FX sensor.

And you are right, of the cropped sensor bodies in Nikon, the really good ones are the D7000, D90 and the D300 - though none of these are strictly entry level. The D90 though is available for pretty good deals these days though.

saketselot

My first few days with the 85mm 1.8D were frustrating. I was unable to fit the any subject into the frame. But gradually I started getting the hang of its 127mm equivalent focal length on a D90. From a distance of 5-6 feet it is great for head and shoulder shots. From a slightly longer distance you can get full body shots of children and half body shots of adults. Bokeh is average but the skin tones and colors it renders in good natural light are incredible. I love shooting with it on a D90. I think it will make a perfect portrait lens when I eventually shift to a full frame. If I was not planning to shift to a full frame I would have bought the 50mm 1.4D instead.

The best pic I have shot so far with D90/85mm:

blessed by the light | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The perspective provided by longer focal length lens is more impressive than normal lens for portraiture. The slight depth compression gives very pleasing results. 85mm or higher is highly recommended for portraits.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back