Suggestions for DSLR camera - Nikon vs cannon

X man

Any suggestions for budget DSLR camera in 30-40K range...... Nikon or Cannon is better ? Any other issue to look out for while buying?

In that range the you have 2 options - Nikon D3200 and Canon EOS 550D (both with 18-55 lens kit). Both seem to be quite good, but the Canon has received slightly better reviews and as far as i know the Canon has the Auto focus motors built in the camera body itself, whereas for Nikons you have to buy lenses that have auto focus motor built in- which are a little bit more expensive than the ones without - obviously. but this feature needs to be confirmed.

Look at Olympus, Sony, Panasonic too!
Clear about sensor sizes and your use of the sensor in that perspective.

Many a times smaller sensor and limited focal lengths are apt for a long long time for a photographer.

Nikon Vs. Canon is like Ferrari vs Lambo - both camera companies have many cameras perfectly capable of giving fantastic output in the hands of the right photographer. DSLRs give you full manual control, so the photo output is completely in your hands.

Having said that, in the 30-40k budget range, I would advise you to go for the most entry level nikon or canon you can find and spend the rest of the money on a good lens (Very Important: Dont buy the camera in the kit configuration, just buy the camera body - the kit lens is a piece of junk, like the onboard DAC in a computer motherboard)

When you are talking about final photo output quality - more important than the camera is the glassware that you put in front of it. Buy a lens that is fast (i.e. opens out wide, i.e. can stop down to low f numbers, f2.8 or even lower is better). Also very important is a good sturdy tripod - nothing screws up pictures more than a shaky hand holding it - especially in lower light scenarios.

So if you are spending lets say 40k odd, then get the Nikon D3200 for about 32k for the body only and spend another 12 k for the Nikon AFS DX F1.8 35 mm lens and another 1k for a good memory card and you are good to go in about 45k.
If you want to spend lesser, you can replace the D3200 with the D3100 and you will save yourself about 7-8k on the above budget.

Follow the same thought process for Canon (I gave an example for Nikon because am a Nikon user).

Or you can scout the second hand markets like the jjmehta .com , Digital Camera , Digital SLR , Video Camera , Apple iPod , Sandisk Pendrive available all over India forums for even cheaper deals. Remember, the lens has a greater impact on the picture quality than the camera itself and ofcourse, the person behind the camera is the biggest variable, as far as final photo output goes!!

Digital Photography Review is the best website, for camera reviews.

Go for Nikon you will get more lens option.
Like 40mm micro lens which is not available in Canon. It is my personal opinion avoid Sony.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

In that range the you have 2 options - Nikon D3200 and Canon EOS 550D (both with 18-55 lens kit). Both seem to be quite good, but the Canon has received slightly better reviews and as far as i know the Canon has the Auto focus motors built in the camera body itself, whereas for Nikons you have to buy lenses that have auto focus motor built in- which are a little bit more expensive than the ones without - obviously. but this feature needs to be confirmed.

Actually both Nikon and Canon dont have lens motors on the camera body. Nikon used to but they have moved to having the motor on the lens itself. Canon has been in that boat for a really long time. Of the major camera manufacturers, only Pentax continues with the system of the lens motor on the camera body.

There are certain advantages of having the motor on the lens, like a faster and more silent autofocus and certain disdvantages like expensive lenses, bulkier lenses, etc.

Nikon or Cannon is better ?

Pick the one you like. You wont go wrong with any of them. It is that way.

Both these companies have come a long way and are equally good.

some insights:
1. You are not choosing just a camera body but buying into a "system" which you will build over time (lenses, etc) So take a long term perspective
2. Many pros have been using the Canon's. Have you noticed those "white" colored lenses? ;) Those are Canon's. Many people feel owning one of those white lenses enough drool quotient in itself. :)

Instead of going with one-to-one comparisons on specs on paper it is wise to choose something that fits your hand like a glove. Just go to some showroom and try out the cameras you are considering. Pick any one that you feel comfortable with. Ergonomics pays off in long run and jazzy features take a back seat and are often forgotten.

Some features are indeed useful like DOF(Dept of field) preview in which you can preview the DOF before you take the actual shot. Save you some couple of click and then preview cycles. Or the bracketing feature that helps you take multiple (example 3) shots with different exposures [underexposed, correct exposure, overexposed] you can choose a shot which you like. or these shots can be superimposed to create HDR images.

But pretty much any respectable DSLR in the market should have these features.

Also as a side note: If you had a budget it would make sense to invest in a decent DSLR body and invest more in some good lenses. Rather than invest more on body and get cheaper lenses.

Afterall what the camera sensor sees is what passes through the "glass" (lens).

It would be very difficult to make out the difference between a photo shot with a Nikon or a Canon. But you can easily make out the difference between a shot taken with a normal kit lens and a good lens.
(Side note: If you are just starting out *then* spend some time with the camera and then explore what kind of photos you take - landscape, portraits, bird, architecture, etc and then choose lens most suitable for that type of photography)

Just my 2 cents.

Njoy clicking!

Nikon D3200 and Canon EOS 550D, both these models will give you decent output. Nikon is good in handling High ISO, where as Canon has very good reputation for their AF system. These features doesn't matter that much in the entry level model.

Visit some shop where you can compare both the models. Try some test shots with both models, also try understand which body better fit on your hand (grip, comfort etc.)

Also, you are going to buy a system........It it just beginning of the game....so always think about future upgrades (lenses, flash, battery grip etc.).

I would suggest you to buy the body and get a decent lens other than the Kit lens. Canon EFS 15-18, Canon EFS 17-55 etc. are far better than the 18-55 kit lens.

Thanks,
Bibin

I have nikon - but I should have gone for canon. Reason being - lot of company stores for canon where I can go, explore, see the lens, handle them, try them on my camera before buying. I don't see any nikon store where I can try before I buy. At least not in the malls where I go to.

Thanks All of You . Amazing 101 Teach in. Am certainly more aware now.

Was considering - D3100/3200 and Canon EOS 550D models just from a budget point of view.

Yes. Inclined towards Nikon if all being same. But will check out both the models and come back to you guys with more queries.

Planning to buy the kit plus the lens separately as suggested by Saket. What lens range should I look at to start with?- 30-70mm ?

Both are good. I have the canon 550D. Kit lens of either is average. But better lenses later. Advantages of canon are that it has a inbuilt auto focus motor, better build quality, great full hd video and relatively cheaper lenses when compared to similar Nikon lenses.

Nikon has better pictures above iso6400 by having lesser noise.

I would recommend a Nikon D90 over D3200, because it has:

-a bigger and better penta-prism viewfinder
-focusing motor
-more manual controls
-better weight, balance, grip and build quality
-excellent resale value

These features are more essential in a DSLR than the 24 megapixel sensor and optional wifi adapter of D3200. Recently I have met many Nikon/Canon amateur and even pro (!) photographers who are using their DSLR's like a point and shoot camera. If you intend to use a DSLR primarily in the Auto mode then a D3100/D3200 with a 18-55/18-105 lens is a good option. You could also consider a bridge or mirror less camera.

I wanted to understand and master a Nikon DSLR. After hundreds of hours of surfing and a couple of wrong decisions, I finally settled on the following starter kit:

D90 (body) 35K
50mm 1.8D (lens) 5.5K
Manfrotto 679B (monopod) 3K
Lowepro Toploader Zoom AW 45 (bag) 1K

I have not bought the monopod yet but will be getting it soon. Considering price/performance I would give the other three items 10/10. Happy shooting :)

i think 550D is a model higher than D3200... 1100D is the Canon in that budget... when I bought the 550D two years ago, it was 47K and D3100 was 32K... and 550D was much better than D3100... I am not sure about D3200.... If you are getting 550D under 40K, go for that!

Both are good. I have the canon 550D. Kit lens of either is average. But better lenses later. Advantages of canon are that it has a inbuilt auto focus motor, better build quality, great full hd video and relatively cheaper lenses when compared to similar Nikon lenses.

Nikon has better pictures above iso6400 by having lesser noise.

:rolleyes:Do you take snaps at ISO 6400..

i think 550D is a model higher than D3200... 1100D is the Canon in that budget... when I bought the 550D two years ago, it was 47K and D3100 was 32K... and 550D was much better than D3100... I am not sure about D3200.... If you are getting 550D under 40K, go for that!

How you can say 550D is better than D3100 ? I don't agree

I would recommend the Canon 550D body (or the equivalent Nikon) and the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lens as a starting setup. The 550D body is excellent, with a great sensor, good high ISO performance, a superb preview screen, decent AF etc., The Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is a giant-killer of a lens, and a fantastic drop-in replacement for a kit lens. Of course getting a 50mm f/1.8 lens is also highly recommended considering what terrific value they are.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back