Any of you into terrace flower gardening? Aware of online forums for terrace flower gardening?

arnprasad

Hi All,

I live in Bangalore and am fortunate to be unemployed and also stay at my parents house that has a 1000 sft garden space.

While the house itself is 40 years old, we moved in 2010 and ever since, even while employed, was bitten by the gardening bug.

Over the past 13 years, I have tried everything in my house - from growing vegetables to growing all sorts of flower plants.

Stopped growing vegetables few years back as it is too much work for too little output - particularly we are heavy veggie eaters...so 3 months of toil on a plant would yield few hundred grams of veg...waste of time. plus of course lots of bugs.

Then thought flower gardening is better as I can spray all sorts of insecticides and pesticides. So for the past ten years or so....have not only been buying plants of nurseries - local nurseries, lalbagh, indo american...and whole salers at places like Doodaladamara...etc. And also been buying seeds online from sellers like plantsman, namdhar, biocarve, trustbasket, seedsnpots plus of course lalbagh ones.

and recently have been into rose gardening and buying plants from Bengal based sellers like Pushpanjali Pranabir/Asoke...etc.

Over the past ten years I have been checking the net for online forums like this for terrace gardening...particularly for flowers...but have been unsuccessful. There used to be a guy called geekgardener who had a forum...then he started his own business and seems that fell out of the way.

there are few facebook groups on organic gardening....not of much use for me.

So any folks here who are seriously into gardening...mainly into flowers?

The reason I ask is that most Indian flower seed sellers sell dodgy quality seeds. The best of course are imported ones like Panam or benary or Sakata and such. Problem is that while Indian packets you get for 30-100 each.....these MNC ones go for 600-3000 per packet. Hence it will be good for folks to gather together and buy such MNC seeds and share between themselves...so that for 100 each..we can lay our hands on MNC seeds rather than buy questionable local ones.

Hence eager to hear if any folks on this forum are in the same boat...

As always..thanks in advance for all your help and suggestions!!....and of course pardon the poor english and grammatical errors :)

Hi All,

I live in Bangalore and am fortunate to be unemployed and also stay at my parents house that has a 1000 sft garden space.

While the house itself is 40 years old, we moved in 2010 and ever since, even while employed, was bitten by the gardening bug.

Over the past 13 years, I have tried everything in my house - from growing vegetables to growing all sorts of flower plants.

Stopped growing vegetables few years back as it is too much work for too little output - particularly we are heavy veggie eaters...so 3 months of toil on a plant would yield few hundred grams of veg...waste of time. plus of course lots of bugs.

Then thought flower gardening is better as I can spray all sorts of insecticides and pesticides. So for the past ten years or so....have not only been buying plants of nurseries - local nurseries, lalbagh, indo american...and whole salers at places like Doodaladamara...etc. And also been buying seeds online from sellers like plantsman, namdhar, biocarve, trustbasket, seedsnpots plus of course lalbagh ones.

and recently have been into rose gardening and buying plants from Bengal based sellers like Pushpanjali Pranabir/Asoke...etc.

Over the past ten years I have been checking the net for online forums like this for terrace gardening...particularly for flowers...but have been unsuccessful. There used to be a guy called geekgardener who had a forum...then he started his own business and seems that fell out of the way.

there are few facebook groups on organic gardening....not of much use for me.

So any folks here who are seriously into gardening...mainly into flowers?

The reason I ask is that most Indian flower seed sellers sell dodgy quality seeds. The best of course are imported ones like Panam or benary or Sakata and such. Problem is that while Indian packets you get for 30-100 each.....these MNC ones go for 600-3000 per packet. Hence it will be good for folks to gather together and buy such MNC seeds and share between themselves...so that for 100 each..we can lay our hands on MNC seeds rather than buy questionable local ones.

Hence eager to hear if any folks on this forum are in the same boat...

As always..thanks in advance for all your help and suggestions!!....and of course pardon the poor english and grammatical errors :)
Hi happy to read the above :)

Have grown up in an independent house with a garden as a kid, I do miss the plants owing to being holed up in an apartment. You seem to be very passionate about gardening. So why not start a forum your selves and see. Iam sure there will be a lot of interest in that. In today's world there are forum's feeding every possible hobby, you just seem to be at the right place to start one for Indian climate. All the best :)

I grew up in a moffusil in Bengal so I like nature quite a bit. However though now i am living in a city , i like to have trees around my house. On the roof of my house and around my place I keep both indoor and outdoor plants. I bought them from various places. When I go on tour i search for nurseries and buy plants of my choice. I am no expert but I try my best to grow flower plants and decorative ones. I am learning new things from people around me and internet. But I think a forum would have been helpful to my hobby as the gyan coming from internet is not applicable to our indian environment in most cases. Parenting plants seems to be challenging if we do not get proper info hence a forum or even a whatsapp group would have been a better place where we can discuss about plants, their requirements etc.
Regards

I grew up in a moffusil in Bengal so I like nature quite a bit. However though now i am living in a city , i like to have trees around my house. On the roof of my house and around my place I keep both indoor and outdoor plants. I bought them from various places. When I go on tour i search for nurseries and buy plants of my choice. I am no expert but I try my best to grow flower plants and decorative ones. I am learning new things from people around me and internet. But I think a forum would have been helpful to my hobby as the gyan coming from internet is not applicable to our indian environment in most cases. Parenting plants seems to be challenging if we do not get proper info hence a forum or even a whatsapp group would have been a better place where we can discuss about plants, their requirements etc.
Regards
I feel a forum is a repository of knowledge that is divided into sections and is searchable. Where as a whatsapp group is not. I was once a part of a few audio whatsapp groups, which i subsequently quit for the same reason. A lot is said in a day, but everything forgotten the next morning. Felt it was pointless taking the time to contribute anything there, as everything was so transitory. A complete waste of time :D

Undoubtedly a forum by far surpasses any whatsapp group as the former is a serious platform. But I need a place where I can discuss matters which I can't understand easily. Personally i am benefited from some audiophile groups , however a forum would be great. If moderators allow ,there can be a section named gardening where knowledgeable forum members can guide novice like me. After all music has a relation with nature and we , the music lovers also like and love nature.
Regards

Sorry to sound dismal but when I was having an independant house, I was into roof top gardening in a small scale. Hobby stuff. But it was creating mud transfers across the terrace which during rains resulted in seeping through of water into tile perimeter grouts and into the ceilings resulting in some algae, fungi. Then a neighbour told me it takes huge periodical maintainance at the rooftop and instead i started in my backyard.

Sorry to sound dismal but when I was having an independant house, I was into roof top gardening in a small scale. Hobby stuff. But it was creating mud transfers across the terrace which during rains resulted in seeping through of water into tile perimeter grouts and into the ceilings resulting in some algae, fungi. Then a neighbour told me it takes huge periodical maintainance at the rooftop and instead i started in my backyard.
The mud runoff is due to open pots and lack of trays

If you were to change over to self watering pots in 25kg paint buckets, there are lots of YouTube tutorials on how to make one

Not only your watering frequency would be less, closing the top prevents soil runoff and evaporation and you can add fertiliser directly to the reservoir

You can also add a plastic pipe with holes to add kitchen waste to the pot

I feel a forum is a repository of knowledge that is divided into sections and is searchable. Where as a whatsapp group is not. I was once a part of a few audio whatsapp groups, which i subsequently quit for the same reason. A lot is said in a day, but everything forgotten the next morning. Felt it was pointless taking the time to contribute anything there, as everything was so transitory. A complete waste of time :D
Absolutely well-said Manohar! A WhatsApp group is like a tweet compared to forum which is like an encyclopaedia.

If moderators allow ,there can be a section named gardening where knowledgeable forum members can guide novice like me.
Bhaskar da, we have a General Lounge forum in the Community Centre section for discussing everythng other than AV. If we create separate forum for one interest, there can be many other interests (Books, Travel, Grooming and so on) that would deserve separate forums. That could dilute the focus of Hifivision community. Once we loose focus, the platform risks degeneration.

With the growing interest in home gardening, hopefully one could see a thriving Indian online community for the same. Till then, international communities like this could serve some purpose:

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back